mack turned them down too?

kickinwang

link

Here's why Mack Brown got another big raise with his fourth contract modification in nine years: He is in big demand by other schools, albeit very quietly and discreetly. Both Florida and Alabama made overtures toward Brown through behind-the-scene, unofficial emissaries -- a top school official wishing to remain anonymous told me -- before they hired current coaches Urban Meyer and Nick Saban in the last two-plus years. Mack wasn't interested.

There needs to be an 'official' list of who was offered the UAT HC job but turned it down.

1. Steve Spurrier

2. Rich Rodriguez

3. Mack Brown

4. The guy at Wake Forrest

Who else? I am going by memory.

I'm serious guys. One second I'm sitting in my underwear, swigging on a Natty Light and watching rasslin'. Next thing you know I wake up in the front yard with my tighty whities around my knees, covered in purple and red bumps. What the hell is going on around here?!?

There needs to be an 'official' list of who was offered the UAT HC job but turned it down.

1. Steve Spurrier

2. Rich Rodriguez

3. Mack Brown

jim leavitt

I'm serious guys. One second I'm sitting in my underwear, swigging on a Natty Light and watching rasslin'. Next thing you know I wake up in the front yard with my tighty whities around my knees, covered in purple and red bumps. What the hell is going on around here?!?

Alabama officials offered the job to Rodriguez on Thursday morning, but the answer didn't come until more than 24 hours later. Alabama reportedly offered Rodriguez a $12 million, six-year contract.

1. Steve Spurrier

2. Rich Rodriguez

3. Mack Brown

jim leavitt

I thought you were joking, but it says that on wikepedia he was 'considered'.

Also, the guy at Navy, Paul Johnson.

So the count is at 7.

And it doesn't matter if they were 'officially' offered or not, when the 'candidate' comes out and says "I'm not interested", that is rejection.

By chance, do you own a donkey? :o

1. Steve Spurrier

2. Rich Rodriguez

3. Mack Brown

jim leavitt

I thought you were joking, but it says that on wikepedia he was 'considered'.

Also, the guy at Navy, Paul Johnson.

So the count is at 7.

And it doesn't matter if they were 'officially' offered or not, when the 'candidate' comes out and says "I'm not interested", that is rejection.

from cbs...

NEWPORT, R.I. -- The contract is still in Jim Leavitt's office somewhere. Sign it and he would have been Alabama's coach in 2003.

"We're always going to keep it, in case anybody ever wonders," said the South Florida coach. "I was the guy who would have had the job and was going to lead them through the probation years."

Leavitt says that with a sense of pride and dread having seen his own future. Alabama came hard after the now 50-year-old former Missouri defensive back after Dennis Franchione left Tuscaloosa in 2002. Mike Shula (after Mike Price) eventually got the job, lasting four tumultuous seasons.

"I made the right decision," Leavitt said. "Hell, Shula, an Alabama guy who won 10 games, was let go."

and you can add these to the list...

The latest coaching searches have also had some difficult twists. Then-New Orleans Saints assistant Mike Riley was offered the job before Price's hiring four years ago but wanted more time to also pursue the UCLA job. Alabama didn't give him that time, and Riley wound up going to Oregon State.

In 2000, Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer and Miami's Butch Davis turned Alabama down, before Franchione's hiring.

link

Why would Alabama think Brown would even consider leaving Texas for them? I mean...really?

Florida...eh....I would say the same thing but UF's resources/state make it a slightly small chance that he would consider it ONLY IF he had some sort of connection to it.

Can you add saban to that list to since he originally turned them down?

i thought you guys said it was a big conspiracy and he was lying the whole time?

Uh ... yeah, I'm going to have to go with Unintentional Irony for $1,000, Alex. What is Nick Saban was lying the whole time?

(If you ever travel outside the state of Alabama, just ask anyone.)

1. Steve Spurrier

2. Rich Rodriguez

3. Mack Brown

4. Jim Grobe

5. Paul Johnson

6. Jim Leavitt

7. Greg Schiano

8. Bobby Petrino

9. ???

Maybe, Al Groh?

Maybe, Jumbo Fisher?

Maybe, Mike Riley?

They offered the job to ANYONE they felt may be stupid enough to take it. savbear waited until they were sooooo desperate that they would pay 38 million for him to take it.

Archived