Cotton Bowl Curse?

smokies

I think there was/is such thing as a curse. I don't think he was trying to start something.

Go ahead and shoot me. I brought it up last season.

Cutcliffe? Great season. Cotton Bowl. Tank. Fired.

Fulmer? Great season. Cotton Bowl. Tank. Still employed, but stinking.

Shula? Great season. Cotton Bowl. Tank. Fired.

Shula? Great season. Cotton Bowl. Tank. Fire. And sitll making millions form Alabama. And employed again.

See? Being a crappy Alabama coach isn't that bad. Hopefully Saban won't earn the spoils of the defeat of past coaches at the Crapstone.....

I think there was/is such thing as a curse. I don't think he was trying to start something.

I'll elaborate further. LSU lost the '02 Cotton Bowl and then followed up with the MNC in '03. Since the, SEC Cotton Bowl teams have tanked the following year. Here's why.

2003 Ole Miss. Lost Eli Manning to graduation. 80% of Ole Miss's offense gone right there. No surprise that Cutcliffe tanked and got fired the next season. Manning only prolongued his stay in Oxford by two or three more seasons.

2004 Tennessee. Seriously, this Vols program has had defensive issues for quite some time. They were lucky to win 10 games in '04. No surprise they followed up their Cotton Bowl season with a 5 win tank job. Their D was suspect even in '04 and they had a young QB who wasn't ready for prime time in '05. Plus, they had Randy Sanders and it caught up to them.

2005 Bama. Brodie graduates after Cotton Bowl. Brodie's gone and the O' line still sucks. The D still can't hold on to 4th quarter leads. No surprise how the 2006 season transpired.

2006 Auburn. Believe it or not, the jury is still out on this team. However, are any of you surprised by the 1-2 start, especially when you consider how Auburn sputtered to the finish line last season? Look at last season. One non pass interference call against LSU, one bad snap by Florida's punt unit, a couple of missed blocks by Bama against Groves, and the '06 Tigers were 8-5, not 11-2. The issues on last year's offensive unit are still there this year. Even more so this year. Unfortunately, our Defense has only bailed us out once so far, unlike last year when they bailed us out in all of the big games.

So in essence, there's no such thing as a Cotton Bowl curse. When you examine the last four SEC Cotton Bowl teams, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Bama, and Auburn, all four teams had the same theme. All teams were very fortunate to win as many games as they did that season but their weaknesses followed all four teams to the next season and it showed.

Stop all this talk about curses. They don't exist.

Signed,

The Chicago Cubs

Curses are known to be broken. Just wait a few years.

Signed,

The Boston Red Socks

Archived