Heisman Race

DCWarEagle

Would be pretty cool for an SEC guy to win the Heisman. It has been too long.

As of right now, ESPN's "experts" show the top three are all SEC players: McFadden, Tebow and Woodson. Woodson could really help himself with a big game against USC Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman07/index

Tebow too young. Won't win it this year.

I am torn between pulling for Woodson or McFadden. I think McFadden is probably the best RB in the country and he is a one-man-offense for Arkansas. On the other hand, Woodsen may be the best QB in the SEC, and he has led a team from the depths of the abyss into the Top 10.

Tough call, but I gotta pull for Woodson.

Best of luck to all the SEC guys, though!

Tebow has no business being in this discussion. Utterly ridiculous. How do you put a guy who's started five games -- none of which came against ranked teams (ouch) -- into contention? What has he proved?

I have to admit that, unless an Auburn player is in the running, I just don't give a flying rip about the Heisman.

It's an individual award in a team sport. What's more, given how it's always awarded to a QB or a RB, it's really unfair to the rest of the players.

My two cents.

Glenn Dorsey should be on the list, too bad he's on defense. The Heisman has turned into a popularity contest driven by the media instead of a meaningful award presented to the best player in CFB.

Glenn Dorsey should be on the list, too bad he's on defense. The Heisman has turned into a popularity contest driven by the media instead of a meaningful award presented to the best player in CFB.

I agree defensive players should get more consideration. It is too much of a popularity contest and it does depend too much on team success. Still, it is by far the most prestigous award in athletics and I would love for an SEC player to get it.

It is interesting that it goes to one of the "skill" positions. Usually the best football player on a team plays one of five positions (in order):

Left tackle

Middle linebacker

Strong safety

Defensive end

Runningback

This year it is a one man race, McFadden is not just the best football player in the country, he is the best we have seen in years.

Captain Obvious checking in here: Woodson really hurt his Heisman chances last night against the Gamecocks. He looked pretty bad with an interception and two lost fumbles. Was an ugly game on both sides to start, but SC turned up their game.

Archived