Having played both Arkansas and LSU...what's your take?

BamaGrad03

It may come down to AU pulling for Arky to beat LSU...to send AU to Atlanta.

So having played them, do you think it's possible? Assuming D Mac and Jones were able to get a running game going, do you think they could pull the upset?

How do they match up against one another?

The best way to beat LSU is on the offensive side of the ball is a balanced attack. See Kentucky. The pass threat left gaping holes for Locke to run through. With Locke having success on 3rd and short, UK was able to hold on to the ball for extended drives.

LSU can and will stack the box against Arky and do what Auburn was able to do. Plus, when they are on O they will scorch that Arkansas D. I don't think Les Miles can screw this game up enough to make them lose.

The best way to beat LSU is on the offensive side of the ball is a balanced attack. See Kentucky. The pass threat left gaping holes for Locke to run through. With Locke having success on 3rd and short, UK was able to hold on to the ball for extended drives.

LSU can and will stack the box against Arky and do what Auburn was able to do. Plus, when they are on O they will scorch that Arkansas D. I don't think Les Miles can screw this game up enough to make them lose.

Good post Rainman.

LSU will put 8 in the box and it will be the AU game all over again. You know what DJ Hall and JPW did to the Arky secondary. Flynn and his crew will exploit them even more.

Arky has no chance against LSU.

I won't say they don't have a chance, but even with the bottom feeders in the IQ department of coaching squaring off I don't think LSU will lose this one.

Arky and LSU have a lot in common.

If Arky can get Monk back I think the two offenses will be mirror images of each other.

I think the win would go to the Pigs because LSU relys on big plays from their D and if you can keep it on the ground and limit your mistakes you can beat te hell out of LSU.

Arky and LSU have a lot in common.

If Arky can get Monk back I think the two offenses will be mirror images of each other.

I think the win would go to the Pigs because LSU relys on big plays from their D and if you can keep it on the ground and limit your mistakes you can beat te hell out of LSU.

LSU was a pretty good team and with Ducette returning they are better. Up until this past week, their receivers had let them down some (and did so last week) but Ducette improves them by leaps and bounds. Arky will not win this game even if they play their best game of the season.

Arky's passing game is pathetic. I recall one announcer saying they may be the best running team in the country but when they drop back to pass, it's not pretty at all. LSU's DBs are talented enough to man up on anything Arky's got, including Monk. The rest will just stack the box. LSU will be able to hang 30-35 on them and it won't be that close.

That's what SHOULD happen in my opinion. But, this is a season that has seen the entire landscape of college football change weekly. Stanford had no chance against USC. The #1 team in the country does NOT lose to Kentucky. Vandy doesn't beyotch slap Dark Visor's boys in their own back yard. Appy State....

You get the picture.

30-7. LSU.

LSU's defense is still incredible - especially against a one dimensional offense like Arkansas. I don't care if they get Monk, Coltrane and Davis in their receiving corps. They're going to get obliterated because Casey Dick can't do anything special and the playcalling is predictable.

If Arky doesn't get some sort of passing game going, I just don't see it. I think their defense could keep it interesting, but the Arkansas we played against is not going to fare much better against LSU. And LSU has a better offense overall than we do.

Well, I looked quickly at the LSU stat sheets for their past several games... they can stop the run. They can't pass rush or defend the pass as well as they do the run, but they can sure enough stop the run. I see them pulling away on this one, maybe 27-10 or so.

The more I looked at the stat sheet for the Aubrun-LSU game, the more I get pissed. We got beat in every catagory except kick returns, and that is only because we did not really give them a shot at them. At first I thought is was 100% a poor coaching job, but hell we were still in the game even though they almost doubled us in total offensive yardage! I guess that speaks a lot for Will Muschamp and the defense, because if the offense had only produced a little more, we would have had a win even though we did not really produce the stats to back it up.

well the only ways to hurt lsu are isolating their linebackers and craig steltz in pass coverage. kentucky did it with tamme (who i think danielson actually tried to mouth kiss), and he abused steltz all. day. long. auburn did it with brad lester, who had a career day catching the ball.

the problem? you need a consistent passer to do it. cue the casey dick intro music. so throw out lsu's biggest defensive weakness, and instead replace it with playing directly into steltz' hands. he's one of the best tackling, run defending safeties in america. he might have 20 tackles against arkansas.

on the other side of the ball, doucet makes them totally different. totally. i completely underrated the impact he had. number one, it allowed them to get the only guy in the sec with worse hands than a certain auburn senior wr off the field. branden lafell is awful, and they don't need him with doucet playing. so they go with doucet and byrd and the screen game and bam! you have a passing game.

in all seriousness, arkansas has one chance in this game. if anyone remembers the msu game in 2000, that's it. it rained. hard. and sleeted a little. msu went from being 14 point favorites and the best team in the sec to second in the west on one night because they couldn't handle the cold and the rain. barring that, arkansas is going to get pounded. with it, it becomes mcfadden and jones mudding it out, and they have a shot. i'm not getting my hopes up.

ps. i know it's not the forum for it, but you've gotta be kidding with blaming the loss on the offense. the defense was disgusting in the second half. they gave up 23 points and 300+ yards in a HALF. the offense put 24 points on the board. that should've held up. hell, 17 should have been enough. our defense totally fell apart in the second half, and they never regained traction. they've been brilliant, but if you're going to praise only one side of the ball for wins, you've gotta be realistic when they let down as well. pass defense cost us that game as much or more than anything else. not offensive production. and don't give me the "tired" line. our offense won time of possession.

A quick question. Has Monk played at all this year? If not, with only 4-5 games remaining and 3 SEC losses already, is it really worth playing him and costing him a MED redshirt?

If he has played, disregard the question.

he doesn't qualify even if he didn't play. unless he never redshirted in the first place, he's losing a year of eligibility this year one way or the other. to answer the question though, he hasn't played at all.

It may come down to AU pulling for Arky to beat LSU...to send AU to Atlanta.

So having played them, do you think it's possible? Assuming D Mac and Jones were able to get a running game going, do you think they could pull the upset?

How do they match up against one another?

Any time you have a McFadden and a Jones (no pun intended), it's "possible"...but it's not likely. One can dream though.... :)

:au::homer:

A quick question. Has Monk played at all this year? If not, with only 4-5 games remaining and 3 SEC losses already, is it really worth playing him and costing him a MED redshirt?

If he has played, disregard the question.

I know they brought him in for one play against us.

30-7. LSU.

LSU's defense is still incredible - especially against a one dimensional offense like Arkansas. I don't care if they get Monk, Coltrane and Davis in their receiving corps. They're going to get obliterated because Casey Dick can't do anything special and the playcalling is predictable.

Bingo! We have a winner! :cheer:

Alabama has a good shot at LSU, their defense is not good against offenses that can throw the ball around, Cox had one of his best games of his career last week, what makes me in particular think that Alabama has a good shot is that LSU in particular struggles against the shotgun spread, a formation which Alabama used almost exclusively last week against UT and moved the ball very well with it.

Terry Grant is the perfect back to have against LSU as well, physical backs will never move the ball against LSU, we saw it with Tate, he was stuffed for 12 yards on 10 carries, Lester on the other hand did have moderate success.

As for Arkansas, as I said before, who knows what will happen. If they get the running game and Monk going they could win, but it doesn't look like that would be the case as teams all year except for Florida (who runs from the spread) have had trouble to run the ball in any kind of traditional way against LSU. Quite frankly, I think the Wildcat formation is the only formation in which Arkansas would have any hope to succeed in running the football consistently against LSU.

Please, stay away from any and all "bookies". You would be an easy mark.

Arky has a chance. Casey Dick doesn't need to light the world on fire, as long as he can do DECENT against LSU D they have a chance. They just need to give DMac and Jones some breathing room and them two will make things happen. I think if Monk plays they will improve, not much, but better than they were when they played us.

Plus I am sure the team would give everything they have to play a Top 5 team, and possibly a chance to save CHN's job. From what I've heard the players are very much a loyal bunch to him. Sometimes it just comes down to who wants it more. If LSU is not cautious Arky might sneak up on them.

Archived