The Overturned Catch

SupperClub

Here is a picture from the Anniston Star of the overturned catch...aka 'the worst call all year' by some of our bama brethren.

1104bama-lede.jpg

Thoughts?

Here is a picture from the Anniston Star of the overturned catch...aka 'the worst call all year' by some of our bama brethren.

1104bama-lede.jpg

Thoughts?

How many men were on the line of scrimmage? Where's that first down marker? And was the receiver forced out of bounds?

There was no doubt that he lost control of the ball for a moment as he hit the ground. Sometimes, people see what they want to see. Granted, you could only see it clearly from one angle that they showed during the replays.

I thought it was a crap call to over turn but this picture makes me have second thoughts. I did however see it over and over in slow motion during the game, and based on that, I wouldn't have over turned it. I thought it was a great catch!

There was no doubt that he lost control of the ball for a moment as he hit the ground. Sometimes, people see what they want to see. Granted, you could only see it clearly from one angle that they showed during the replays.

I question your "no doubt" and raise you your "people see what they want to see" as further proof of what you want to see...

I am pretty good friends with Matt and after watching the replay he admited the ball touched the ground. I was pulling for him and I am not sure that the replay cameras gave a clear indication like the picture.

Couldn't see that on the replay.

Objection.

Your honor, in the case of Bama v. Ole Miss, it was clearly established that pictures after the fact are allowed to trump fuzzy replays and may also be used in a gloating "better team won" fashion.

Sustained.

Objection.

Your honor, in the case of Bama v. Ole Miss, it was clearly established that pictures after the fact are allowed to trump fuzzy replays and may also be used in a gloating "better team won" fashion.

Sustained.

So which is it? Are you gonna say that this should have been overturned even though you couldn't see it on video...but the Ole Miss thing should have?

Objection.

Sustained.

So which is it? Are you gonna say that this should have been overturned even though you couldn't see it on video...but the Ole Miss thing should have?

I'm saying the Ole Miss call shouldn't have been overturned.

I didn't see a replay of this one that was conclusive to me and was surprised it was overturned. I guess the refs started feeling a little guilty at the ass raping they were giving LSU and did a make-up.

But you can't wrap yourself up in the "Refs got it right" from the Ole Miss game based on a series of photos that came out days later and then claim you were screwed here -- when photos back up the call from the booth.

I guess the refs started feeling a little guilty at the ass raping they were giving LSU and did a make-up.

Care to back that up? Did LSU not commit penalties? Were the pulled jerseys and hands on the back...and late hits not clear as day to you?

I guess the refs started feeling a little guilty at the ass raping they were giving LSU and did a make-up.

Care to back that up? Did LSU not commit penalties? Were the pulled jerseys and hands on the back...and late hits not clear as day to you?

No, they weren't clear as day.

The 15-yarder on the interception should have gone against Bama thugs, not the LSU guy.

And if you want to talk about jersey pulls, take a good look at your grasping and tugging offensive line that never gets called.

I thought the officiating was ridiculously one-sided.

But nice diversion on your part, quickly deflecting attention away from the glaring double standard you guys have embraced. You couldn't see it on replay, but it was a GREAT call against Ole Miss. Couldn't see it on replay, but it was a HORRIBLE call on the incompletion against LSU. Replay got both right, as evidenced by the photos.

The 15-yarder on the interception should have gone against Bama thugs, not the LSU guy.

And if you want to talk about jersey pulls, take a good look at your grasping and tugging offensive line that never gets called.

How can you possibly say that? You don't throw the flag for trash talk, you throw it for the guy shoving our player in the face.

And I don't believe it's possible for us to hold when we can't get a hand on their DEs.

Again, what's your thoughts on the PI where the guys arm was on Keith's back...or the missed one where DJ's jersey almost got ripped off?

Replay got both right, as evidenced by the photos.

How did replay get both right? I posted a photo the following week that showed the Ole Miss guy touching the ball first.

There was more on replay against Ole Miss that showed the dude going out of bounds (not forced) than there was showing caddell not catching the ball.

How can you possibly say that? You don't throw the flag for trash talk, you throw it for the guy shoving our player in the face.

And I don't believe it's possible for us to hold when we can't get a hand on their DEs.

Again, what's your thoughts on the PI where the guys arm was on Keith's back...or the missed one where DJ's jersey almost got ripped off?

Replay got both right, as evidenced by the photos.

How did replay get both right? I posted a photo the following week that showed the Ole Miss guy touching the ball first.

There was more on replay against Ole Miss that showed the dude going out of bounds (not forced) than there was showing caddell not catching the ball.

Disagree on the replays. There wasn't enough on either to justify an overturn. You can't take one and not accept the other as right.

Don't start whining about pass interference. Good lord, I saw your guys grabbing their receivers around the waist on crossing routes all night long. That was never called. The holding your offensive line does consistently is just plain ridiculous.

No, you don't throw the flag for trash talking. You never do that. It's just Bama "class" I forgot. There were six Bama guys around 18. There was kicking and pushing when he was on the ground. When he jumped up and toward one of the punks, the flag came out before he'd even taken half a step. And there was an official right there in between them to begin with. No, you never throw the flag on trash talking. Or kicking. Or pushing. You always throw it when a guy gets up surrounded by punks.

I saw it on the replay. I said it in fact at full speed that the nose of the ball looked like it slipped through. The replay only confirmed it for me.

And perhaps someone can confirm in the rule book...I don't think the ball has to actually move any for it to be considered getting assistance from the ground (trapping).

No, you don't throw the flag for trash talking. You never do that. It's just Bama "class" I forgot. There were six Bama guys around 18. There was kicking and pushing when he was on the ground. When he jumped up and toward one of the punks, the flag came out before he'd even taken half a step. And there was an official right there in between them to begin with. No, you never throw the flag on trash talking. Or kicking. Or pushing. You always throw it when a guy gets up surrounded by punks.

You're right. It's a conspiracy by the refs to protect Alabama. The refs watched a group of 6 guys kick and push a dude, and threw no flag.

Whatever.

You're right. It's a conspiracy by the refs to protect Alabama. The refs watched a group of 6 guys kick and push a dude, and threw no flag.

Whatever.

When they threw the flag, I was sure it was going to be against Alabama. I was thinking how stupid it was of them to thug around like that when the momentum had turned. When he called it against LSU I thought it was ridiculous. Just one of several ridiculous calls and no calls from that game.

looks like the replay booth got this one right after all.

i certainly couldn't see that from the replay, but the picture does seem to show it clear as day.

Coach Saban said he thinks the ref got it right...

When they threw the flag, I was sure it was going to be against Alabama. I was thinking how stupid it was of them to thug around like that when the momentum had turned. When he called it against LSU I thought it was ridiculous. Just one of several ridiculous calls and no calls from that game.

Well you obviously had a better vantage point than the ref you said was standing right there.

Well you obviously had a better vantage point than the ref you said was standing right there.

Just like you had a better vantage point than TWO refs standing right there against Ole Miss and a better vantage point than all the replay officials against LSU.

i certainly couldn't see that from the replay, but the picture does seem to show it clear as day.

Honestly, I believe the replay officials got every one right with the lone possible exception of the reversal of what appeared to be an LSU fumble after a catch. That one appeared as if the receiver came down, turned and took a step before the ball came loose to me.

I was amazed at how many reviewable plays there were in the game though. It almost appeared as if there was a power struggle going on or something...

I saw it on the replay. I said it in fact at full speed that the nose of the ball looked like it slipped through. The replay only confirmed it for me.

And perhaps someone can confirm in the rule book...I don't think the ball has to actually move any for it to be considered getting assistance from the ground (trapping).

Thanks Titan.

I could see the ball hit the ground and thought for sure it would be overturned, unless the home cooking refs had anyting to do with it.

From reading this whole thread I was begining to think I did'nt see what I saw.

:P

Honestly, I believe the replay officials got every one right with the lone possible exception of the reversal of what appeared to be an LSU fumble after a catch. That one appeared as if the receiver came down, turned and took a step before the ball came loose to me.

I was amazed at how many reviewable plays there were in the game though. It almost appeared as if there was a power struggle going on or something...

i thought it was a catch too, but you can't really see what the ball was doing when he turned. just one of those things i suppose.....

Archived