The Overturned Catch

SupperClub

Just like you had a better vantage point than TWO refs standing right there against Ole Miss and a better vantage point than all the replay officials against LSU.

I'm not complaining about any calls made during the LSU game. Especially not complaing about flags thrown.

Couldn't see that on the replay.

I saw it on the replay. I said it in fact at full speed that the nose of the ball looked like it slipped through. The replay only confirmed it for me.

And perhaps someone can confirm in the rule book...I don't think the ball has to actually move any for it to be considered getting assistance from the ground (trapping).

Same here. All the folks in the room were pissed that he caught it. I was pissed they ruled it a catch. However, I was pleased to see my eye (for once) was confirmed. From what I understand of the rules this is how it played out. He obviously had possesion of the ball, BUT before his feet hit the ground, the nose TOUCHED the ground. My understanding is that the ball cannot hit the ground at all.

I thought the ball moved a little once it hit the ground and I think the replay official had to see the same thing as he didn't have this picture to go by. Otherwise, I thought this was as close to a catch as you can get without being a catch. Great effort by Caddell.

Here is a picture from the Anniston Star of the overturned catch...aka 'the worst call all year' by some of our bama brethren.

1104bama-lede.jpg

Thoughts?

I was in the stands, we didnt have that great of a view. Looks like the right call.

looks like the replay booth got this one right after all.

i certainly couldn't see that from the replay, but the picture does seem to show it clear as day.

Coach Saban said he thinks the ref got it right...

I'm sure he does.

Just like you had a better vantage point than TWO refs standing right there against Ole Miss and a better vantage point than all the replay officials against LSU.

I'm not complaining about any calls made during the LSU game. Especially not complaing about flags thrown.

Are you saying that facetiously? I guess with what 14 of 16 calls go your way, that would be an obvious statement.

I think the field refs forgot to cut in the replay official on the pay off. :poke: How many plays were officially reviewed, and how many very poor field calls were over turned, and quickly?

I mean...I have seen it and still think it was a catch....so it hit the ground...I thought he has possession before that

That is the rule in the NFL. The ball can touch the ground as long as the player still has possession.

Here is a picture from the Anniston Star of the overturned catch...aka 'the worst call all year' by some of our bama brethren.

1104bama-lede.jpg

Thoughts?

How many men were on the line of scrimmage? Where's that first down marker? And was the receiver forced out of bounds?

No...and he apparently didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express that night. B)

:au::homer:

Couldn't see that on the replay.

Objection.

Your honor, in the case of Bama v. Ole Miss, it was clearly established that pictures after the fact are allowed to trump fuzzy replays and may also be used in a gloating "better team won" fashion.

Sustained.

So which is it? Are you gonna say that this should have been overturned even though you couldn't see it on video...but the Ole Miss thing should have?

"Your honor...I object to this line of questioning!"-Kentucky Fried Movie B)

:au::homer:

I mean...I have seen it and still think it was a catch....so it hit the ground...I thought he has possession before that

Come on slink. Possession for a split second while flying through the air only to have the ball squirt on the grount when he hit?

That is the rule in the NFL. The ball can touch the ground as long as the player still has possession.

The problem here is that he didn't have possession when the ball was on the ground.

To have possession, player must have control of ball and be established in the field of play, i.e. elbow, knee, or foot, down. As he comes down to the ground the ball hits ground first up under him. No catch. I saw it the first replay.

LSU had how many penalties called against them? LSU 14 for 130 yards, uat 2 for 15 yards. Tell me something is wrong with that!!!! I know you will say blah blah...uat is least penalized... and lswho is most, but that is absurd!!!

To have possession, player must have control of ball and be established in the field of play, i.e. elbow, knee, or foot, down. As he comes down to the ground the ball hits ground first up under him. No catch. I saw it the first replay.

LSU had how many penalties called against them? LSU 14 for 130 yards, uat 2 for 15 yards. Tell me something is wrong with that!!!! I know you will say blah blah...uat is least penalized... and lswho is most, but that is absurd!!!

That's what I saw too(on the first replay). I told my wife that it sure looked good but as soon as the ball hit the ground first, it was an incompletion. I have never seen a call in college where the ball hit the ground first (good grip or not) that it wasn't called incomplete. He needed to have one hand under it.

1104bama-lede.jpg

Thoughts?

I saw it hit the ground when they showed the replay on tv. Nice trap!

i sent this photo in an email to some of my bammer family (tragic, i know) and they responded with...sigh..."THAT PICTURE HAS BEEN DOCTORED! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!" :no:

Oh ok.

I thought the rule was that if you had "possession"....that it was a catch and the ground couldn't cause the fumble. I assumed that him holding the ball and cradeling it like he did was enough for a "possession"

Is that incorrect?

Oh ok.

I thought the rule was that if you had "possession"....that it was a catch and the ground couldn't cause the fumble. I assumed that him holding the ball and cradeling it like he did was enough for a "possession"

Is that incorrect?

ARTICLE 5 -- a. A player gains possession when he is firmly holding or controlling the ball while contacting the ground inbounds.

Judgement call by the refs -- he apparently wasn't firmly holding or controlling the ball when he hit the ground.

Oh ok.

Is that incorrect?

Ground can't cause the fumble refers to when a player has possession already and is in motion.

If a player lays out for a pass, hits the ground and the ball comes out it's an incomplete pass. Has to have control of it all the way.

I hear all this talk about penalties and flags being thrown and conspiracies and all that stuff.... But no one mentioned the fask mask penalty that LSU got called against them and the replay showed cleary he grabbed the collar wasn't even close to a fask mask. How's that for some home cookin? :poke:

I hear all this talk about penalties and flags being thrown and conspiracies and all that stuff.... But no one mentioned the fask mask penalty that LSU got called against them and the replay showed cleary he grabbed the collar wasn't even close to a fask mask. How's that for some home cookin? :poke:

at full speed that appeared just like he had been caught by the facemask, and the tackle happened in the middle of a whole bunch of bodies. bad call, but not home cooking.

p.s.: it's thursday. who cares.

Archived