McReady's Take

AUChizad

Regardless, it's spot on.

No magic for Saban

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Nick Saban said he saw it coming.

How clairvoyant. I wish he'd said something. I would have caught the first flight to Las Vegas, taken the 24 points and laid a bundle on my alma mater.

While I would have listened, Saban's warning would have primarily fallen on deaf ears. Many Alabama fans, as the Crimson Tide's $32 million man is learning the hard way, have an aversion to the truth.

Advertisement

Believe if you'd like that a mid-November loss to the middle-of-the-Sun Belt-pack Warhawks of Louisiana-Monroe is relative to the process of building a champion. If you want to play along and not believe what you see with your own two eyes, that's your prerogative, a'ight?

Sure, the annual Iron Bowl clash between Alabama and Auburn is three days away and Saban can salvage this sliding season by winning it. But what if he loses, as Las Vegas seems to expect? What have we learned? What's really changed if Tommy Tuberville is counting on both hands late Saturday night as he walks off Pat Dye Field?

We've learned that despite the considerable hype and the worshipping adoration of his followers, Saban isn't some omnipotent football god who can reverse the fortunes of a struggling program merely by showing up. We've learned that despite the absurd comparisons to a coach from a bygone era, Saban can't take his and beat yours and then take yours and beat his.

Optimistic fans note that the Georgia, LSU and ULM losses could have been wins. Objective people know that the Arkansas, Houston and Ole Miss wins could have been losses.

On the field, Alabama has been the definition of mediocrity, which is basically where the program has been since Gene Stallings' retirement.

Some Alabama players have improved under Saban's direction while others have regressed markedly. There are discipline issues, as there are at other similar institutions. In short, Saban appears to be no better and no worse than many of the men he competes against in the SEC.

Saban's certainly no magician. You don't need a graduate degree from Louisiana-Monroe to know 21 is a bigger number than 14 or to know that six wins isn't far removed from five.

In fairness, Saban appears to be recruiting at a level Mike Shula and other Alabama head coaches never reached. Regardless, he has clearly appeared frustrated at his fans' lofty expectations. On Saturday afternoon, as boos rained down and Louisiana-Monroe celebrated, something some of us have tried to say for a long time was proven: Alabama might again become one of college football's elite programs, but paying dearly for a coach desperate to get out of the NFL and then labeling him a savior doesn't make a gridiron renaissance a certainty.

For myriad reasons, the regional and national college football landscapes have permanently changed. Alabama, like many other programs around the country and in the SEC, is still wandering in the wilderness a bit, searching for a comfortable spot to settle down. Shoot the messenger if it makes you happy, but all the bullying in the world doesn't change the truth in the message.

Of course, the truth hurts sometimes, especially when you refuse to open your eyes to see it.

Most of the national guests who regularly called in have said they will not be returning to WNSP as a guest. One writer/show guest (Glenn Guilbeau) came on another WNSP show just to say that it would be his last appearance on the station and went into detail about the firing of McCready being unfair and what a bad station it is. Letting McCready go is turning into a back-firing. Listnership is way down and some advertisers are starting to get antsy.

Maybe some day you'll understand what that means to you and your family to get fired...you know, when you're old enough to graduate from high school and actually get a job.

I really hope Santy brings the Tickle Me Elmo doll I've been so desperately wishing for the past 3 Christmas's. I've tried tickling other dolls, but it's just not the same.

You are a sick little boy.

yep, still spewing the same old crap...... :thumbsup:

:blink: ???? Explain. Where in his column is the "same old crap?" Unlike some in the state media, he's not got his head up the coach's rear. His criticism of $abun is entirely justified ... ... and deserved.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

You guys also don't realize that Neal was fired for bashing AUBURN as well as Alabama.

But whatever makes you feel nice.

No, BG, the official statement was he was fired for "not being pro-Alabama enough."

Archived