Times Daily gets it too.

DKW 86

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20071125...349/1141/SPORTS

$4 million per year for this?

AUBURN

Fear the finger.

That was the taunt of one Auburn fan to a group of Alabama faithful Saturday before the Tigers claimed their sixth consecutive win over the Crimson Tide.

We won't discuss which finger it was. Let's just say that it's not as vulgar as the way money has been wasted at Alabama.

What will $32 million get you these days? A fleet of Lamborghinis? Your own private man-made island off the coast of Dubai?

How about a 6-6 record, a second-rate bowl game, a loss to a .500 team from the Sun Belt Conference and, oh yeah, you're sixth straight loss to your biggest rival?

That's what Alabama got.

With Auburn's 17-10 win over Alabama, the Crimson Tide have lost four straight to end coach Nick Saban's inaugural regular season. In the last three, which include defeats at the hands of Mississippi State and Louisiana Monroe, Alabama scored just 21 offensive points (not including field goals).

Sure, Saban's not a failure yet and he still needs time. And one can argue that the players aren't buying what the coach is trying to do, but the fact of the matter is, it's up (to him) to motivate players, to extract an individual's potential and then some.

For $4 million a year, the most lucrative contract in college football, that shouldn't be a problem. Instead, Alabama is a model of inefficiency. Auburn, on the other hand, is a model of superiority.

Their sixth straight win over Alabama gives the Tigers their longest winning streak over their rival, besting Auburn's 1954-58 run.

"They weren't going to be denied six in a row," Auburn coach Tommy Tubervile said. "They wanted to make history, and they did."

At this rate, Tubs should be making at least $6 million a year. Surely, Bama fans hope Texas A&M can pony up that kind of scratch.

If not, Tuberville will continue to do exactly what Saban couldn't - get the best out of his players. How else would one account for the fact that a quarterback as unpredictable as Brandon Cox would never experience a loss to Alabama in his collegiate career?

How else could one explain a player like Brad Lester - graciously listed at 5-foot-11, 194 pounds - busting through the Alabama front eight for 12 yards of his game-high 98 yards on fourth-and-1 to ice the win?

The Tide couldn't even uphold one of their leaders supposed tenets Saturday - discipline.

After Cox threw an incompletion under duress from Alabama's Keith Saunders, Saunders shoved the quarterback, resulting in a roughing-the-passer penalty and turning what would have been third and 12 at the Alabama 17 into a Tigers first down at the 9. Three plays later, Cox scored on a sneak, setting up a 17-7 Auburn lead the Tide couldn't overcome with 3:58 left in the game.

Now, Alabama is in danger of missing a bowl game for the first time since 2003. Tide fans better hope Alabama doesn't get one. It might have to face a team like Central Florida, and we all know how well the Tide gets up for those mid-major teams. :lol:

That could leave Alabama with a 6-7 record. Mike Shula did that for a fraction of the cost.

The Tigers, however, likely will be partying on New Year's again, kind of like how they were Saturday.

Auburn players flaunted a more appropriate finger as they skipped off Pat Dye Field. It's a wonder which gesture offended Alabama more.

6-6 record or not, i would much rather have Saban than Shula. we were told over and over pre-season not to expect a whole lot this season. and we didn't. and now that it came true, somehow we're the butt of the jokes because most are not all that upset. there will be some things to work out in the off season, and i'm looking forward to that. but i don't see why being patient is sooooo unreasonable. we've been made fun of the past 8 years because some won't be patient with a coach. now everyone has accepted we will have to be and now we're all idiots.

I like the article, but (don't get me wrong) I discreted discredited it when the author mistook "you're" for "your."

It means I can't send it to other people or use it on other message boards.

Enjoyed it, though!

6-6 record or not, i would much rather have Saban than Shula. we were told over and over pre-season not to expect a whole lot this season. and we didn't. and now that it came true, somehow we're the butt of the jokes because most are not all that upset. there will be some things to work out in the off season, and i'm looking forward to that. but i don't see why being patient is sooooo unreasonable. we've been made fun of the past 8 years because some won't be patient with a coach. now everyone has accepted we will have to be and now we're all idiots.

Especially now after a 6-6 season, you've got nothing but Shula re-hash. A good game talked, but still behind the scenes problems, great recruiting talk, and poor results on the field.

Unfortuntely scissors, the only thing 4 million got you this year was a guarantee that you will have to listen to Shula-Saban comparisons for the next year.

I have no problem with you saying you'd rather have Saban over Shula, but as an Auburn fan looking over the fence at you on your side, I don't see much difference, except now you're in the national spotlight because of the money you paid for a man that's been nothing but a diabolical jerk since he arrived.

Only 360 something days until you "MIGHT" here anything different from Auburn folks.

:thumbsup:

6-6 record or not, i would much rather have Saban than Shula. we were told over and over pre-season not to expect a whole lot this season. and we didn't.

Come on... what did you expect the King to say? "Hey we're gonna win the SEC..." ?? I don't ever remember the bear EVER saying anything other than... "I just don't see how our little ol team is ever gonna beat those guys" then he'd whoop their butts.... thats smart coach speak.

On another note... the bammers complain that "Shula didn't leave Saban much to work with... its all Shula's fault... blah blah blah.... but we got the guy we want now.... FYI - have you looked at what Saban left Miami? Just so you know... the Dolphins are 0-10 this season. The team is a mess. ???? Maybe he jumped ship just in time? Wonder if the Dolphin fans are blaming King Saban????

Especially now after a 6-6 season, you've got nothing but Shula re-hash. A good game talked, but still behind the scenes problems, great recruiting talk, and poor results on the field.

Unfortuntely scissors, the only thing 4 million got you this year was a guarantee that you will have to listen to Shula-Saban comparisons for the next year.

I have no problem with you saying you'd rather have Saban over Shula, but as an Auburn fan looking over the fence at you on your side, I don't see much difference, except now you're in the national spotlight because of the money you paid for a man that's been nothing but a diabolical jerk since he arrived.

Only 360 something days until you "MIGHT" here anything different from Auburn folks.

:thumbsup:

like i said, i'm more than willing to give a coach more than 1 year to prove what they can do. it might even take 2-3 judging by some things. but we need to show that patience with a coach. we have a coach that turned around LSU in a very short time. not the first year, but shortly thereafter. and i'm not saying i expect him to turn it around completely next year. that's why i'm alot more likely to give him more time than Shula. it was QUITE obvious that Shula was more than lost on the field. you know it, i know it. i was never one to say that Shula was recruiting "lights out". but i don't think he ever brought in a class such as the one we are projecting now for February. we're going to be a very very young team next season, so i don't think there will be much difference between this season and next honestly.

At least Saban's "mistique" is now gone and so is his love affair with the press! His caustic tone and snide remarks to the press (although I don't love them either) will do nothing to endear him to them and thus they will pick him apart. ;)

Wow. After the 3-0 start there were a lot of UAT gravytrainers ready to accept the 89th MNC... I guess going 3-6 down the stretch was a much needed dose of reality. ;)

I like the article, but (don't get me wrong) I discreted it when the author mistook "you're" for "your."

Enjoyed it, though!

I just secreted all over your post and now I can't forward it to any of my friends.

I like the article, but (don't get me wrong) I discreted it when the author mistook "you're" for "your."

Enjoyed it, though!

I just secreted all over your post and now I can't forward it to any of my friends.

:roflol:

Touche!

Archived