ACC championship attendance

Defense(clap clap)

Well, for one, Boston College does not have a big fanbase.

Also, Boston College is 1024 miles away from Jacksonville.

I thought Virginia Tech should have had more fans for sure.

I think the fact that the ACC is spread out over a thousand miles is a reason for the lack of interest. Who cares if Virginia Tech and Boston College are playing a rematch? It's not like the SEC where all the teams are neighbors.

If the ACC and Big East traded a few teams, it would make for much better reigional matchups. Maybe even throw the Big 10 on that list as well. It would probably create one or two pretty good conferences, and the WAC 2. Whatever happens (not like anything ever will) leave the SEC alone!

The ACC needs to consider having its conference title game in a more central location. Charlotte would be just about right...they have the facility that is capable of hosting as well.

The ACC needs to consider having its conference title game in a more central location. Charlotte would be just about right...they have the facility that is capable of hosting as well.

Agreed. Jacksonville, FL is a little too far south when 75% of your conference is north of Georgia and half is north of South Carolina. The Panthers stadium would be the perfect place for that.

I noticed the lack of attendees when I was watching. I pointed out to my wife and then said now look at the Georgia Dome attendance. That is just awful!!

They must've thought Miami coming to the ACC would mean Division Championships and probably expected a Miami / FSU representative quite often. Oh, how things have changed. They definitely should try to aim it more towards DC. Maybe where the Redskins play.

I recall last year, watching the GT-WF game. Crowd was just as bad, if not worse.

Pathetic. I live in ACC country, and football up here is a joke. They just don't have the passion.

I was watching the Miami-Virginia game which was the last ever in the Orange Bowl. That wasn't even sold out.

Can y'all imagine if something happened and JHS, Tiger Stadium, Neyland, etc had to be closed. There would be 300,000 people trying to get into those games. But a program that was one of the best in the 80's and 90's couldn't even sell out their last home game.

I'd say their options should be limited to Charlotte (Panthers stadium), Baltimore (Ravens stadium) or Washington (Redskins stadium). Those are more centrally located no matter who wins it all.

I'd say their options should be limited to Charlotte (Panthers stadium), Baltimore (Ravens stadium) or Washington (Redskins stadium). Those are more centrally located no matter who wins it all.

Exactly.

It's hard to fill a venue when you're conference is stretched all the way from Massachusetts to North Cuba.

I've always believed that conference championships games should be in a dome and/or at night.

If not it just doesn't have a big game feel.

The ACC is a complete and utter joke unless FSU/Miami are playing each other

Now that game is a joke. FSU would do good to go ahead and hand the reigns over next season.

Looks like the ACC made it official and it has changed the venue for their championship game. It will be in Tampa in 2008 and 2009 and in Charlotte 2010 and 2011. Not sure how Tampa is better than Jacksonville, but Charlottes makes sense. There was some big convention in 2008 in Charlotte that the game did not want to compete against.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=317760

They might be looking at Atlanta too. I know it would be a logistical nightmare having two games the same day, but they did alright during the olympics hosting more than two events a day. Also, the airport helps because cheaper flights might call for more fans. I think DC would be good but probably really cold. We've seen the Big 12 championship game not sell out because of the weather in Kansas City. They had it in San Antonio this year. I'm pretty sure it was sold out even though KC would have been closer for both teams. I think you're right about Charlotte too. They have a lot of choices, but the ACC will probably screw it up.

But I also wanted to say that it looked about the same last year with GT and Wake. They aren't nearly as far away as the teams this season.

I saw something earlier today that said it would be in Tampa 2008-2009 and then move to Charlotte 2010-2011.

just saw above post. sorry

ACC is the exact opposite of the SEC with basketball. Yes, they have a couple programs where bball is #1 [Vtech] and we have our bball school [Ky] and we win nat'l champs in bball and they win them in football but the passion is completely reversed.

The ACC bball tourney hasn't sold tickets to the public since 1966.

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, but all conferences have their dominant sports. I'm just glad they don't claim to be on equal footing in football like the Big Ten does

Archived