New Offer: Christian Thompson

metafour

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you run a 4.4 or jump 40 inches? Didn't think so...

Just going to leave it at this -

You have ZERO evidence of what Julio Jones can or can't squat.

This was your backup:

I promise, you do not want to get in this discussion with me. I promise I have way more experience in this department...unless you played pro football...

And you're saying I'm talking a big game?

You've acted surprised at the amount of hostility thrown your way. You've said nothing but, "it's just my opinion!!!!!11!!!1 You don't know what you're talking about I've seen more I'm more experienced!!!11!!1"

You're also the one that brought this out:

And town...next time I am in Auburn and you want to slap me...I will be more than happy to introduce myself.

Really?

I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt in this discussion. I'll keep your sensitivity in mind next time we have a runaround.

This was your backup:

According to published reports his statistics are:

Ht: 6-foot-4

Wt: 215 lbs

Forty: 4.48 secs

Bench max: 315 pounds

Bench reps: 13

Squat max: 505 pounds

Vertical: 41 inches

Shuttle: 4.69 secs

This was your backup:

According to published reports his statistics are:

Ht: 6-foot-4

Wt: 215 lbs

Forty: 4.48 secs

Bench max: 315 pounds

Bench reps: 13

Squat max: 505 pounds

Vertical: 41 inches

Shuttle: 4.69 secs

Is this going to turn into a cycle? Those published reports are where this s*** started. War Eagle!!! vehemently called BS on the 505 pound squat.

This was your backup:

I promise, you do not want to get in this discussion with me. I promise I have way more experience in this department...unless you played pro football...

And you're saying I'm talking a big game?

You've acted surprised at the amount of hostility thrown your way. You've said nothing but, "it's just my opinion!!!!!11!!!1 You don't know what you're talking about I've seen more I'm more experienced!!!11!!1"

You're also the one that brought this out:

And town...next time I am in Auburn and you want to slap me...I will be more than happy to introduce myself.

Really?

I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt in this discussion. I'll keep your sensitivity in mind next time we have a runaround.

No hurt feelings...I told you I could care less what you say.

I don't think that he can do 500lb squats...I just don't. 500lb leg press is not even comparable. Totally different exercise and you can "cheat" in many different ways. Squat's is "dead weight" on your shoulders and there is no getting around it. A lot of the programs now won't even max a squat because there are too many ways to get hurt. 500 lbs is A LOT of weight and I personally don't think a WR that weighs 200 lbs can squat that...I just don't. I am basing this opinion because I have seen top athletes and I have experienced working out quite a bit...I said before, if you believe it, that's cool...I personally don't.

I did look up the top 10 WR's, safeties, corners and even top 10 TE's just to see if I was crazy. Most of their squat max were not "published", but of those that were, there was one...O N E, that did over 400 pounds and that was at 435. Are you guys telling me that JJ is that much more of a stud than the other top 10 people coming out of high school in his position not to mention the top corners, safeties and TE's? Not only is he the most talented, can run faster, can jump higher, but he ALSO can squat more than 70 pounds more than his nearest competitor??? I don't think so...

Believe what you guys want...but I think his squat max is BS...

the fact that he can run a 4.4 forty and jump 41 inches should be an indicator that he has some leg strength. he runs track also so it shouldn't be some huge shock he has some wicked leg strength.

Could someone review this thread and tally an "idiot" and "liar" count?

Maybe you could establish an "apologetic idiot" and "apologetic liar" subset tally.

Then establish a ratio of "idiots" and "liars" to "apologetic idiots" and "apologetic liars."

If you establish this ratio, I believe it will directly correlate to the ratio of JJ's squat weight to his bench press weight. :poke:

Hey, how about a big MERRY CHRISTMAS HUG - we're all AU brothers and sisters, with all faults.

:kiss3: <no humpin'>

BTW - I was lifting weights before they were heavy. :big:

the fact that he can run a 4.4 forty and jump 41 inches should be an indicator that he has some leg strength. he runs track also so it shouldn't be some huge shock he has some wicked leg strength.

I am sure he has "wicked" leg strength...but there is more to squating than wicked leg strength. You guys think he can do it, I don't. I don't think he can can put 5 plates on each end of a bar, pick the bar off the rack, walk back a couple of inches, squat down to where his legs are parallel, and then come back up...I just don't think it will happen.

FOr the record, I never called anyone an actual liar...I just called BS because I don't believe he can do it and still don't. I DID call someone an idiot at which I apologized for after editing the post...

I am sure he has "wicked" leg strength...but there is more to squating than wicked leg strength. You guys think he can do it, I don't. I don't think he can can put 5 plates on each end of a bar, pick the bar off the rack, walk back a couple of inches, squat down to where his legs are parallel, and then come back up...I just don't think it will happen.

FOr the record, I never called anyone an actual liar...I just called BS because I don't believe he can do it and still don't. I DID call someone an idiot at which I apologized for after editing the post...

you called me a liar because you said there is "no way" he did it. and i saw it with my own two eyes. then you backed off and said its just your opinion that you don't think he can do it.

you called me a liar because you said there is "no way" he did it. and i saw it with my own two eyes. then you backed off and said its just your opinion that you don't think he can do it.

Fine...it's my opinion that you are lying...

First of all, I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding. His posted weights are 315 bench and 505 squat. Which sounds completely okay. If you move it to 235 it is a bit different since this is not someone who ran track and then stepped into a weight room, knowing their program he has probably been lifting since 8th grade. This would tend to show that his weights would be in the right proportion. However, if you said his bench was 235(80 lower than posted) then this would make his squat 425(80 lower). This makes sense although any one who has lifted these two on a regular basis knows that they do not drop and gain evenly so it would probably be closer to 400. Either way, if the misunderstanding is taken out, it makes a lot more sense.

As far as it being possible and all that, there are two easy explainations. One is that it is BS, considering the source I don't believe that to be true. The second is easy if you are around high school players a lot who work out. Most players have a) a natural affinity to certain lifts b)get lazy on certain lifts that they don't like c)have great form on certain lifts. Almost any player that you watch closely in a high school type workout program has his favorite lift. They usually lift much more at this lift because they like it and it is comfortable to them. This may make it seem like it is out of whack which it often times is. Being good at squat also requires the person to have great technique. A lot of programs don't do it anymore because the players bend the back too much instead of the knees and with that much weight it can easily hurt a player. However, if a program has a good S&C coach then they should teach good technique early on, which will help out the player later on with how much weight they can lift. This possible helped JJ out a lot with his lifts.

As far as running fast and jumping high and high squat max would make the more logical not less logical. Strong legs help you jump higher and run faster. They didnt just make up this number and say he did it to fool everyone.

Article on squats being important for sprinters.

The squat has been described as the King of Exercises - it should certainly be the principle exercise for the majority of sprinters. The primary muscles it activates are the ankle, knee, hip and spinal extensors. Sprinting actually involves little knee and hip flexion therefore intuitively partial squats would appear more specific. Flexibility permitting however, I advocate full Olympic style back squats over partial variations for the following reasons:

· Greater range of motion at hip hence greater activation (and time under tension) of hip extensors

· Greater range of movement around ankle hence greater activation of ankle extensors

· Hip inclination is greatest at parallel position; Greater loads are possible with partial variations therefore risk of lumbar injury is significantly increased

· Progression is more easily quantified. With partial squats (without box) tendency is to increase load at the expense of movement range, i.e. half squats become quarter squats!

· Improve confidence under heavy loads

· Quarter squats place greater strain on the muscle tendon unit at the front of the knee

· Although ground contact in top speed sprinting occurs near to full hip extension, during early acceleration hip (and knee) angles are significantly more acute. Additionally, the leg must be extended rapidly from a 90 degree+ angle during recovery.

Archived