Pompano (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas

Ht: 6-foot-1

Wt: 195 lbs

Forty: 4.6 secs

Bench max: 235 pounds

Squat max: 245 pounds

Vertical: 32 inches

Class: 2008 (High School)

I've been told that we are recruiting him as a LB. He is apparently a better player than Philip Pierre-Louis, his teammate who we also offered recently.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metafour,

Since you mentioned him I just happened to capture and encode the state title game from last weekend between St. Thomas Aquinas and Osceola, so I thought I'd post the torrent link here for those that may be interested.

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3939241/Florid..._Thomas_Aquinas

I've been told that we are recruiting him as a LB. He is apparently a better player than Philip Pierre-Louis, his teammate who we also offered recently.

I did that in the 10th grade! ??? Why did we offer?

I have seen this with a couple of players. It just doesn't seem that their lifting numbers aren't that great. I guess you don't really bulk up or gain as much muscle until you get to college, not really an expert on it myself.

I have seen this with a couple of players. It just doesn't seem that their lifting numbers aren't that great. I guess you don't really bulk up or gain as much muscle until you get to college, not really an expert on it myself.

i've seen alot of HS players do more. JJ is a WR and he squats 500 lbs and benches around 235.

If he squat is accurate, that's obviously low. Yox will fix it.

PChamp, you're right, the verticle is good, but he's strength will never hold up as a LB. He could get away it as a safety, but a 4.6 safety is a little scary. The kid just sound like a 'project' to me.

I will also say this, I trust the coaches and their talent evalution skills. I like their track record.

PChamp, you're right, the verticle is good, but he's strength will never hold up as a LB. He could get away it as a safety, but a 4.6 safety is a little scary. The kid just sound like a 'project' to me.

I will also say this, I trust the coaches and their talent evalution skills. I like their track record.

Per Scout, LSU and Miami have also offered.

If he squat is accurate, that's obviously low. Yox will fix it.

That squat's not accurate. I'd bet the farm on it.

People... settle down. Jeezus.

Signed,

165lb weakling who could squat 300 in high school

Probably because we're recruiting football players, not professional body builders. We have probably the best strength coach in the country, and any physical weaknesses can be worked on. Think about it the other way around: Thompson is probably the best player on one of the best teams in Florida, a team that just won a state title (and has won several state titles). If he really is that underdeveloped physically then what does that tell you about his skill level/playing ability considering that he is a dominant defensive player? How good can he be if he bulked up and got even more explosive and stronger?

Scout had a guy at the Florida state finals and this is what he said about Thompson:

"33 Christian Thompson, LB, 6-1, 185, Sr. -- The best defensive player on the field in either game today, Thompson brings a lot of speed and athletic ability to the table. Speed's the name of his game and he has plenty of it. That allows him to be around the ball and make plays. He shows to be an explosive tackler at times as well. Some will consider moving him to safety because of his size and athletic ability but he can definitely be a major Division 1 linebacker. He lives in opposing backfields and 5 more plays behind the line of scrimmage in this game. * * *"

i've seen alot of HS players do more. JJ is a WR and he squats 500 lbs and benches around 235.

And guys...don't pick on RWS again please. He just got finished working out with Julio where he spotted him doing the squats. He even got to stand behind him and put his hands on his man breasts...he only helped a little!!!

The day was capped off by relaxing with Coach Saban in the steam room...after all, Saban was curious about what kind of workout Julio had for the day...

And BTW...I am calling a big fat BULLSH*T on JJ squating 500....

Probably because we're recruiting football players, not professional body builders. We have probably the best strength coach in the country, and any physical weaknesses can be worked on. Think about it the other way around: Thompson is probably the best player on one of the best teams in Florida, a team that just won a state title (and has won several state titles). If he really is that underdeveloped physically then what does that tell you about his skill level/playing ability considering that he is a dominant defensive player? How good can he be if he bulked up and got even more explosive and stronger?

Scout had a guy at the Florida state finals and this is what he said about Thompson:

"33 Christian Thompson, LB, 6-1, 185, Sr. -- The best defensive player on the field in either game today, Thompson brings a lot of speed and athletic ability to the table. Speed's the name of his game and he has plenty of it. That allows him to be around the ball and make plays. He shows to be an explosive tackler at times as well. Some will consider moving him to safety because of his size and athletic ability but he can definitely be a major Division 1 linebacker. He lives in opposing backfields and 5 more plays behind the line of scrimmage in this game. * * *"

Exactly. Of all the necessary qualities of football player, strength is the easiest thing to develop.

Exactly. Of all the necessary qualities of football player, strength is the easiest thing to develop.

Exactly, Yox can handle the bulk and strength. You can't coach football instinct. Apparently, this guy has it.

And guys...don't pick on RWS again please. He just got finished working out with Julio where he spotted him doing the squats. He even got to stand behind him and put his hands on his man breasts...he only helped a little!!!

The day was capped off by relaxing with Coach Saban in the steam room...after all, Saban was curious about what kind of workout Julio had for the day...

I dont doubt it one bit. I had a friend about half his size that could do well over 500. Im a lot smaller than Julio and I could squat well over 400. Hes got pretty big legs - not hard to believe at all. Im almost more surprised he only benches 235.

I apologize. I didn't mean for my first post to sound so d*ck-ish. Based on the data you posted, I just wanted to know why our coaches wanted him.

It does concern me that he is so weak. For a big-time HS program, you'd expect a kid to be able to squat a bit more than that, especially a defensive player. Either the kid doesn't care for the weightroom (which is fair), has an attitude problem (and therefore chooses to skip the weights), or plays well above himself. You can't expect him to tackle a Tim Tebow/Darren McFadden with that kind of leg strength.

Still, if the coaches think his potential is high enough, I say go for it. It just seemed weird to get excited about a kid with that kind of red flag on his stat sheet.

Either the kid doesn't care for the weightroom (which is fair), has an attitude problem (and therefore chooses to skip the weights), or plays well above himself.

Or the information is inaccurate. Consider how many times that stat has "changed hands" from the weight room to this website (or even the site it was copied from).

I see I've stirred up hornets nest on this one.

Let me clearify some things with my earlier comments about this kid. I NEVER said this was a bad offer, only that his strength numbers were not very good. I'm very well aware of and very confident in the job that Coach Yox can do with this kid, but let me guarantee you that it will take more than a year for his strenght to develop to the point where he can get on the field. Instincts will only get him so far. He can get away with having decent speed and good instincts and be a physically inferior, strength-wise, at the HS level.

I also believe that if he's a great athlete, they have a scholarship to give and as I said earlier, I trust the coaches abilities to evaluate players talents then by all means recruit the kid. But I will also say this (I don't get to caught up in star ratings) the is a unrated player, ZERO stars on Rivals.

Lastly, I haven't seen this kid play nor have I seen film on him. I'm not evaluating the kid just on any numbers/stats. I just made a point that his not very strong to be a D-1 prospect.

I see I've stirred up hornets nest on this one.

Let me clearify some things with my earlier comments about this kid. I NEVER said this was a bad offer, only that his strength numbers were not very good. I'm very well aware of and very confident in the job that Coach Yox can do with this kid, but let me guarantee you that it will take more than a year for his strenght to develop to the point where he can get on the field. Instincts will only get him so far. He can get away with having decent speed and good instincts and be a physically inferior, strength-wise, at the HS level.

I also believe that if he's a great athlete, they have a scholarship to give and as I said earlier, I trust the coaches abilities to evaluate players talents then by all means recruit the kid. But I will also say this (I don't get to caught up in star ratings) the is a unrated player, ZERO stars on Rivals.

Lastly, I haven't seen this kid play nor have I seen film on him. I'm not evaluating the kid just on any numbers/stats. I just made a point that his not very strong to be a D-1 prospect.

I guess Miami, Auburn and LSU coaches put less stock in Rivals than you do, since all three have offered.

actually, i was standing about 20 ft away from him at the Lion's Den about a month ago when i saw it. but hey, whatever....

I'm still calling BS. I have been around a lot of ball players that lift weights...it's hard for me to believe that a dude can squat 500 but only bench 235. I know that you should squat a lot more than you bench but 235 is pretty weak when it comes to benching...add to that a really strong squat max and I am calling a big fat BS. Most kids, including me at the time, love to do upper body but need to be really pushed to do legs...you have to really work to have a 500 lb squat....unless you only squat about 3" which may have been the case...

by the way...are you a f***ing stalker RWS? You really go and watch the kid work out? Either a stalker or a loser...

Archived