Coaching Stability at Bama?

quietfan

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks....xml&coll=2

All quiet on Alabama's coaching front

Friday, December 21, 2007

It's been lost in the suitcase shuffle going on in the rest of the college football world, but a strange thing has been happening with Nick Saban's Alabama coaching staff.

Nothing.

...at Alabama, no one has resigned or been fired or fled for another job or disappeared in the dark of night.

It's still possible the same nine assistants who started this season could return next year for Act II of The Process.

Isn't it?

``How can you know?" Saban said after practice Thursday. ``Now, people get opportunities, and if there are good opportunities for our coaches, we'll be very supportive of them, because we always try to promote our guys for professional advancement."

There's also a chance someone might be asked to advance himself somewhere else.

``I don't anticipate anything," Saban said.

Allow me.

The coaching carousel for assistants usually doesn't start spinning wildly until after the bowl games, and sometimes it doesn't stop spinning until after signing day.

There's still time for a smart head coach somewhere to realize that an assistant is usually better and tougher after spending time with Saban. If Terry Bowden gets the West Virginia job, don't be surprised if he tries to take away one or two of the West Virginia natives on the Alabama staff.

It would be just the second time in Saban's head coaching career that his entire staff returned intact for a second straight season.

The first and last time it happened was between his second and third years at Michigan State. Saban's 1997 staff was the same as his 1996 staff.

The revolving door to the football office was installed between Saban's third and fourth years with the Spartans. In 1998, he hired four new assistant coaches. In 1999, his last year in East Lansing, he added five new faces.

None of his coaches followed him from Michigan State to LSU - in part because one of them succeeded him at State - and he changed at least two assistant coaches every year in Baton Rouge. The number of staff changes there: four in 2001, two in 2002, three in 2003 and four in 2004.

After every one of Saban's bowl games at LSU, his assistants would gather to shake hands and wish each other luck. In case it was the end. And it always was. For someone. By choice or not.

Will Saban want all of his current coaches to come back? Will all of them want to return? It's too soon to know, but never too soon to ask.

...Can't say a lot since we've had a fairly regular turnover of OC's or DC's in the last half decade, although I don't recall now if it's been an annual thing. [Trying to recall exact years for Petrino/Nallsminger/Borges, Chizik's departure, Muschamp's hiring, etc.]

But is Saban's turnover rate unusually high? (Seems like it to me, but I could be wrong.) If so, is there particular reason or is it merely coincidence? Does job training under Saban make one that much more marketable, or is Saban so demanding or unpleasant to work for that assistants try to get out, or does Nick have a pattern of firing staff? I will say that this year, I didn't see any particular genius among uat's staff that would make me want to hire 'em away.. Applewhite seems to get some talk, but I really haven't seen any sign of his supposed "offensive genius" at uat yet.

Does job training under Saban make one that much more marketable, or is Saban so demanding or unpleasant to work for that assistants try to get out

I think it's a little bit of both. Muschamp and Fisher sure seemed to benefit from coaching under Saban. But I think it's safe to say he is a workaholic and probably overworks all his assistants.

I agree that he probably does over work them, but how many that left went on to better jobs? I'd be willing to bet its a bulk of them that do. He hires talented guys.

I have no evidence to support my theory, but it is my guess that he is keeping coaches so they don't get embarassed by Colorado, and to continue to bring in a top class. I'm not sure which coach recruits Julio Jones the most, but Saban may wish to keep the assistants to continually recruit the talent he wants to have.

Does job training under Saban make one that much more marketable, or is Saban so demanding or unpleasant to work for that assistants try to get out

I think it's a little bit of both. Muschamp and Fisher sure seemed to benefit from coaching under Saban. But I think it's safe to say he is a workaholic and probably overworks all his assistants.

I think the reverse is true. Saban benefitted greatly from having Fisher and Muschamp on his staff. It built a reputation for him on other people's bones.

And don't hand me any of the "Saban called all the defensive plays..." hooey. It's pretty clear from the last two seasons that Muschamp wasn't Saban's yes man and handles the defense just fine.

And don't hand me any of the "Saban called all the defensive plays..." hooey. It's pretty clear from the last two seasons that Muschamp wasn't Saban's yes man and handles the defense just fine.

You're right. I'm sure Muschamp didn't learn anything from Saban.

You're right. I'm sure Muschamp didn't learn anything from Saban.

When Saban gets a defense going that's anything like what Muschamp runs, then by all means, spew it BG. For now, you have no evidence, so to get your forever scrunched panties in a wad and argue to argue is pointless here.

GG believes what he believes, and you believe what you do. No way to prove it definitively one way or the other, so just chill out.

I for the record, seeing what I've seen with Muschamp here, agree with GG.

When Saban gets a defense going that's anything like what Muschamp runs, then by all means, spew it BG. For now, you have no evidence, so to get your forever scrunched panties in a wad and argue to argue is pointless here.

GG believes what he believes, and you believe what you do. No way to prove it definitively one way or the other, so just chill out.

So you're inclined to think that the guy who was hired BY Saban (and was what, 26 years old at the time) knew more about coaching than Nick Saban?...all based on the fact that our defense wasn't as good as Auburn's defense this year?

Man you've made some awful arguments in the past. But this is probably the worst one you have ever made. Ever.

Funny thing is, you think I'M a homer, and you're objective.

"(Saban) is an outstanding coach, an outstanding person," Muschamp said after he was hired on the Plains. "What I've been able to accomplish, I attribute a lot to him."

Taken from:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/in....xml&coll=3

The Dolphins attribute a lot of what they've accomplished to him, too. Oh, and UL-Monroe appreciates him, too.

His amazing D coaching ability allowed Auburn's high-powered offense to keep the lead throughout this year's Iron Bowl.

I think the reverse is true. Saban benefitted greatly from having Fisher and Muschamp on his staff. It built a reputation for him on other people's bones.

Exactly. Someone forgot to note that both Fisher and Muschamp were exposed to winning FB at Auburn before they served under Nicky.

Exactly. Someone forgot to note that both Fisher and Muschamp were exposed to winning FB at Auburn before they served under Nicky.

I think about it like this: The point of hiring a coordinator is to help you win ballgames, because as a head coach you can't do everything, although some coaches try to. So, obviously, Saban benefitted from Muschamp...because his job is to benefit the coaches he works for. Whether Muschamp learned something from Saban should be obvious. You always learn something from people you work for or with, whether it be what to do or what not to do. If Muschamp isn't learning anything and everything he possibly can from every HC he works for, then he will never be ready to be a HC himself. But, I don't think that's the case and I think he will be a great HC when he gets the chance.

Strange...sabear sent a plane to Mich St. to pick up assistants to go to lsWHO.....The plane returned EMPTY. Pure and simple...he is a jerk. Even uaters must admit that much. Good coach? Time will tell...Jerk?...The proof is out there for all to see.

Hell yes he's an a**. You want some nice guy running your program? Get Shula! Tubbs is a pecker too. All the guys are.

Shouldn't throw rocks in glass houses.

Hell yes he's an a**. You want some nice guy running your program? Get Shula! Tubbs is a pecker too. All the guys are.

That would make sense if the first thing he said wasn't "Hell yes he's an a**", in reference to Saban.

That would make sense if the first thing he said wasn't "Hell yes he's an a**", in reference to Saban.

Does it make sense just to say Asholederi is a pecker too?

Ahhh gotcha. Yeah, I thought you were talking about coaches. I'll be the first to tell you he Ashandarei is a total pecker.

Ahhh gotcha. Yeah, I thought you were talking about coaches. I'll be the first to tell you he Ashandarei is a total pecker.

Shut up ARTARD!

Shut up ARTARD!

I'm not an artard.

So you're inclined to think that the guy who was hired BY Saban (and was what, 26 years old at the time) knew more about coaching than Nick Saban?...all based on the fact that our defense wasn't as good as Auburn's defense this year?

Man you've made some awful arguments in the past. But this is probably the worst one you have ever made. Ever.

Funny thing is, you think I'M a homer, and you're objective.

No. No it's not. Actually, I made the post after you made it clear that you were going to make snarky comments, rather than just post a reason, opinion, or purpose behind your thought. It was just "hooey" after-all.

As far as quality of what I was arguing....meh. Moot in it's actual context.

You still couldn't help but respond though....typical. :rolleyes:

Nail on the head, BG. Saban's former coaches tend to treasure their times with him, but few would ever take a second tour because of the combination of long hours and little credit. Saban prepares them for the next step in their career but at the same time he is not above taking all the credit for any success.

Nail on the head, BG. Saban's former coaches tend to treasure their times with him, but few would ever take a second tour because of the combination of long hours and little credit. Saban prepares them for the next step in their career but at the same time he is not above taking all the credit for any success.

I think it's more than just being overworked. Hard work can be fun. But Saban never seems to have fun. He doesn't even want people to say, "Good morning," to him. Most people want to enjoy what they are doing, even if it's hard and long hours. There's a reason people don't tend to follow Saban around.

Wrong...I went to church with Tommy in Auburn ever since he has been at Auburn. He has always spoken to me and we have had many conversations. He does not act like that. No, that is not just his "church face" as I have seen him at restaurants a few times. He spoke to me everytime. I am sure there are times he has to be tough, but I would sure not classify his personality as you have.

Archived