Has America created a monster

MDM4AU

ESPN suspends Dana Jacobson for remarks made at roast

Another member of the media gets in trouble for making inappropriate comments. Only this time, the subject was religion.

By Andrea Adelson, Orlando Sentinel

January 24, 2008

Another member of the media is in trouble for making inappropriate comments. Only this time, the subject was religion.

ESPN personality Dana Jacobson has been disciplined for remarks she made Jan. 11 at a roast in Atlantic City, N.J., for colleagues Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic. According to various reports, Jacobson appeared inebriated when she used an expletive in connection with Notre Dame, Touchdown Jesus and Jesus.

Jacobson, co-host of "First Take" on ESPN2, apologized in a statement and said, "My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words. I won't make excuses for my behavior, but I do hope I can be forgiven for such a poor lack of judgment."

LINK

I don't in any way like what she said, but why is she being suspended. America has become so PC we've created a society that doesn't recognize or allow free speech. Things are getting ridiculous.

The Gov't isn't censoring what anyone says, this is ESPN's doing. As a public figure, as Dana is an anchor, I find it a bit surprising she's still got a job. Remember Jimmy The Greek ? His off the cuff comments got him FIRED by CBS, and he wasn't even speaking at a formal function nor was he behind a podium, as was Ms Jacobson.

The Gov't isn't censoring what anyone says, this is ESPN's doing. As a public figure, as Dana is an anchor, I find it a bit surprising she's still got a job. Remember Jimmy The Greek ? His off the cuff comments got him FIRED by CBS, and he wasn't even speaking at a formal function nor was he behind a podium, as was Ms Jacobson.

Yeah, I realize that the government isn't doing this, but I guess my point was that "We The People" seem to be getting waaaayyyyy to sensitive over words spoken by someone else. There appears to be this snowball gaining momentum in America where someone says something that may be a bit off base and their employer or sponsors run scared because someone else got their feelings hurt over these words. Jacobson was at a roast where the language and topics are expected to push the envelope.

I am a Christian. I cringed when I heard what she said for a number of reasons. I at no point thought I would boycott or expected her to lose her job or be suspended

Let's see. She was drunk and she was cussing at the microphone during a public event.

I don't know about you, but if I did the same thing in front of my colleagues my career would be over.

And Freedom of Speech doesn't mean you don't suffer the consequences of speaking foolishly. It just means you don't get prosecuted or questioned by the secret police.

The woman is a public figure representing a very publicity-driven company. I'm sorry that she was so foolish.

I thought about this quite a bit today. I was away from the message boards and radio so I didn't continue to hear others talk about it.

She was there because she is part of ESPN, ergo she represented ESPN. Had I said such foolish things while representing my company I would be canned not just suspended. I guess my original post was based mainly on all the people I heard calling the sports radio shows (Christians) taking offense and claiming she should be run out of town.

The more I thought about it...if I were the employer, I would probably suspend her, as well. As much for the what she said as how she carried herself.

Archived