Former strength coach Paul White passes

the deacon

Paul White ,strength and conditioning coach for Pat Dye, passed away unexpectedly this morning. I had my graduate internship under Paul and little did I know he would become my brother-in-law. Under Paul :au: established a reputation for tremendous strength. :au: could boast of a dozen players capable of a 500 bench. Bo Jackson used to drive him crazy because he avoided workouts like the plague but could come in and do a 400 bench cold.Paul was an All-American in football and track/field.When his father got ill with terminal cancer he left coaching to return to Arkansas and run the family feed mill. After his father died he took a job in Miss. with Techno-Katch in the poultry industry. He is survived by his wife,my sister, Joy and 3 sons and 1 daughter. Please pray for Joy and the kids and the rest of us as we deal with this loss.

I remember Coach White all over my ass. Every M-w-F he would push us harder. Then I decided I needed to workout early so I could get on the road to House Party earlier. I got to workout with a couple of linemen. One was Jerry Helms, a walk-on who was the strongest Tiger that year. The linemen refused to take much weight off the bars. It was leg day and they said they would just spot me. The next day in PC Beach, I could harldly climb the stairs to the beach. Coach White was at the workout just laughing his ass off at me. He and I agreed that I would not ask for any early workouts again. His method and his staff created a lot of strength back then. I know that the methods have changed from pure strength to more of a speed training. But we had some REALLY strong guys at AU during his tenure. I send my prayers to your sister and your family. He will be missed with good memories.

• 13 years later...

I can’t believe I’m just now hearing about this.  I was a walk-on at Auburn beginning in the winter ‘83 work outs.  Coach White and David King gave me the encouragement to do what I knew all along that I could do.  Thanks Coach (and David).  You helped Auburn like few people can say.

On 2/25/2008 at 4:03 PM, the deacon said:

Paul White ,strength and conditioning coach for Pat Dye, passed away unexpectedly this morning. I had my graduate internship under Paul and little did I know he would become my brother-in-law. Under Paul :au: established a reputation for tremendous strength. :au: could boast of a dozen players capable of a 500 bench. Bo Jackson used to drive him crazy because he avoided workouts like the plague but could come in and do a 400 bench cold.Paul was an All-American in football and track/field.When his father got ill with terminal cancer he left coaching to return to Arkansas and run the family feed mill. After his father died he took a job in Miss. with Techno-Katch in the poultry industry. He is survived by his wife,my sister, Joy and 3 sons and 1 daughter. Please pray for Joy and the kids and the rest of us as we deal with this loss.

Prayers lifted up.  Thanks for sharing the interesting back story.  

Archived