Suspensions at South Carolina, Arkansas

quietfan

So at least two SEC coaches with top media cred (Petrino, Spurrier) know the word "suspension"...perhaps they could give lessons in Tuscaloosa:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...&thispage=3

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Arkansas linebacker Freddie Fairchild has been suspended from the football team after he was charged with suspicion of third-degree battery and false imprisonment.

He was arrested Monday and later released on the misdemeanor charges. He was suspended pending a review of whether he violated team rules.

"He will not be allowed to participate in any team activities during the suspension," coach Bobby Petrino said in a statement Tuesday. "We will allow the legal process to take its course on this matter and Freddie will be provided the appropriate support during this time."

The 21-year-old linebacker started 11 games last season as a redshirt sophomore.

Gamecocks QB Garcia suspended until August: Highly touted South Carolina freshman quarterback Stephen Garcia was suspended from the team on Tuesday after being ticketed for underage drinking, marking his third run-in with police in about a year.

Garcia will not be allowed to practice or meet with the team until Aug. 15, athletics department spokesman Steve Fink said.

Garcia, 20, was one of three football players ticketed Saturday for underage drinking near a campus dormitory, according to campus police tickets. His attorney said Monday Garcia had paid a $257 fine; his brother also was charged with giving beer to a minor.

However, I do note that neither of these discusses suspension from games yet...

Fairchild's alleged crime seems more severe to me. Assault and false imprisonment? Anyone heard any more details? Sounds like a domestic battery type thing to me, but I don't know.

On the other hand, Garcia's third run-in with police--in one year? Seems Spurrier may have been a little slow to "nip it in the bud" after incidents #1 and #2. He should look to the state north of him and get advise from Barney Fife! :big: (In the interest of fairness: At least none of the troublemakers in Tuscaloosa have been repeat offenders, have they?)

Archived