Obama raises another 40M in March

RunInRed

Barack Obama is taking a day off from the campaign trail on Thursday, a decision he can apparently afford.

Campaign financing numbers out of the Democratic presidential race are expected to show a widening dollar lead for Obama over Hillary Clinton, and possibly another obstacle to Clinton’s effort to stay competitive in the last 10 nominating contests yet to be held.

The Obama campaign announced early Thursday that it had earned $40 million in March. The number doesn’t match the record performance of $55 million in February, but is still stellar, with the campaign reporting 218,000 new donors and more than 442,000 total donors in March. To date, Obama has raised money from more than 1.2 million donors.

“Senator Obama has always said that this campaign would rise or fall on the willingness of the American people to become partners in an effort to change our politics and start a new chapter in our history,” campaign manager David Plouffe said in a statement.

“Today we’re seeing the American people’s extraordinary desire to change Washington, as tens of thousands of new contributors joined the more than a million Americans who have already taken ownership of this campaign for change. Many of our contributors are volunteering for the campaign, making our campaign the largest grassroots army in recent political history,” Plouffe said.

Clinton campaign estimates are for about $20 million in March, compared to $34.5 million in February. According to campaign financing reports, Obama has earned $195 million from the start of his campaign until February 2008. Clinton has made about $167 million.

Tapping donors continues to be a priority for the candidates ahead of the April 22 Pennsylvania primary. Obama has scheduled fundraisers at the homes of four different financial backers Sunday afternoon and evening in northern California.

Clinton too is in California, doing a foursome of fundraisers that started Wednesday night in Silicon Valley. She also was attending events with donors in San Francisco, Pasadena and Los Angeles. They are expected to earn $2,300 per person, the maximum allowed by law.

The fundraising blitz is critical as the candidates head into the final stretch of contests. The outcome in Pennsylvania will be closely scrutinized for signs of strength and weakness for each candidate. Clinton had been running a wide lead in the Keystone State, but Obama has narrowed it to single digits, in part from an expensive and wide ad campaign.

Scott Rasmussen, head of Rasmussen Reports, which runs daily tracking polls of the race, said Obama’s “blue-collar charm offensive,” which includes visits to factories, bowling alleys and bars, has been aided by his TV buys.

Obama has “spent an awful lot of money on television advertising and absolutely it’s working to some degree,” Rasmussen said. “He is making progress, he has tightened the race from 15 points a month ago to five points today.”

Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, raised about $11 million in February. He has not announced his March take.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/04/03/ob...p-over-clinton/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm guessing he'll just donate all this extra money to charity once he agrees to public financing in the fall like he said he would do.

So I'm guessing he'll just donate all this extra money to charity once he agrees to public financing in the fall like he said he would do.

Probably depends on what McCain does...if you recall, McCain has a done a little flip-flopping on this issue himself.

If JM is smart, he'll push BO for public financing b/c there is no way he can match his fundraising.

Well if money can buy votes he has the election sewed up. But if there are enough people out there who think fundraising is not the be all and end all and that the fact this guy obviously has very well to do supporters doesn't necessarily mean he's the correct choice for the leader of our country, then just perhaps there will still be a need for the election to still be held. I for one am not impressed by the amount of money a candidate can raise. I'm impressed by what he has done in the past, especially as it relates to what he says he will do in the future.

Well if money can buy votes he has the election sewed up. But if there are enough people out there who think fundraising is not the be all and end all and that the fact this guy obviously has very well to do supporters doesn't necessarily mean he's the correct choice for the leader of our country, then just perhaps there will still be a need for the election to still be held. I for one am not impressed by the amount of money a candidate can raise. I'm impressed by what he has done in the past, especially as it relates to what he says he will do in the future.

A couple of points:

1) By all accounts and as discussed in previous threads, Barack Obama has built a massive grassroots effort. Most of his donations do not come from wealthy donors who are maxing out the $2,300 limit. I believe his average donation amount is around $96. A lot of this money comes from $5, $10, $25 donations.

2) I think the amount of money a candidate is able to raise says a lot. Particulary, it speaks to the strength of his support from the people. It's speaks to a movement. It's speaks to the "working majority" theme that he talks about. Nothing has ever gotten done without the will of the people and this to me looks like the people are rallying to a cause in numbers we have not seen in modern times.

I'll give Obama credit. He has remained consistent for the last few months on donations.

Even, in 07, when Clinton was the "inevitable" candidate, Clinton raised more money, but Obama had way more donors. Simple math at that point would tell you Obama was on the rise.

Probably depends on what McCain does...if you recall, McCain has a done a little flip-flopping on this issue himself.

If Obama has previously said he would "donate all this extra money to charity once he agrees to public financing", why would it matter what McCain did?

If he was telling the truth when he said it, then he should do it no matter who did what.

If Obama has previously said he would "donate all this extra money to charity once he agrees to public financing", why would it matter what McCain did?

If he was telling the truth when he said it, then he should do it no matter who did what.

Can you provide that story/link for us? I know he donated all of Rezko's donations to charity already. Most of the money he is raising now is for the primary where he opted out of public financing (as did both Clinton and McCain...although McCain did go back and forth on this when his campaign was in trouble early on). I know ultimately Obama favors public finance if both parties agree to it...but I haven't seen the charity comments you are referencing...do you have a source?

What is the accrued amount to date for each? Shouldn't Obama and Clinton be spending most of the money they are raising while still competing in the primaries while McCain should be banking most of his? Or is this money separate from what will be spent in the General Election (aside from all the promises and agreements)?

Can you provide that story/link for us? I know he donated all of Rezko's donations to charity already. Most of the money he is raising now is for the primary where he opted out of public financing (as did both Clinton and McCain...although McCain did go back and forth on this when his campaign was in trouble early on). I know ultimately Obama favors public finance if both parties agree to it...but I haven't seen the charity comments you are referencing...do you have a source?

Actually no I can't because I was referring to Titans statement and your response.

If JM is smart, he'll push BO for public financing b/c there is no way he can match his fundraising.

See it's simple Titan asked it and you responded. So I asked a question.

What is the accrued amount to date for each? Shouldn't Obama and Clinton be spending most of the money they are raising while still competing in the primaries while McCain should be banking most of his? Or is this money separate from what will be spent in the General Election (aside from all the promises and agreements)?

Obama has earned $195 million from the start of his campaign until February 2008. Clinton has made about $167 million...I don't think these new March numbers are included in these totals. Anything designated for the primary season must be spent as such...and same for the general election. So in short, most of this money is separate and yes, McCain is already raising money for the general election...which raises the question, if he accepts/agrees to public financing along with Obama, what does he do with the money he is raising.

Actually no I can't because I was referring to Titans statement and your response.

Maybe Titan can provide it for us

I don't have the links that you are asking for, just a comment on the second part of your post. Saying that he donated Rezko's donations to charity is completely BS. What likely happened is that he donated a total equalling Rezko's donations to charity, but back when Rezko made the actual donation, he spent that freaking money with no qualms or reservations. My opinion, this falls in line with his true character to me. Obama supporters act like he is a saint and can do no wrong, but he is just a politician like the rest of 'em. Kind of a different spin on it, but that is the reality. Not necessarily saying that the way he did it is wrong, just calling it like I see it.

Obama has earned $195 million from the start of his campaign until February 2008. Clinton has made about $167 million...I don't think these new March numbers are included in these totals. Anything designated for the primary season must be spent as such...and same for the general election. So in short, most of this money is separate and yes, McCain is already raising money for the general election...which raises the question, if he accepts/agrees to public financing along with Obama, what does he do with the money he is raising.

I guess I meant cash basis, but you answered my question. Obama and Clinton are still raising and spending money for the primaries, while McCain is raising money for the general election. The money does not cross over. Can Obama be raising money for both already, or is that not allowed?

I don't have the links that you are asking for, just a comment on the second part of your post. Saying that he donated Rezko's donations to charity is completely BS. What likely happened is that he donated a total equalling Rezko's donations to charity, but back when Rezko made the actual donation, he spent that freaking money with no qualms or reservations. My opinion, this falls in line with his true character to me. Obama supporters act like he is a saint and can do no wrong, but he is just a politician like the rest of 'em. Kind of a different spin on it, but that is the reality. Not necessarily saying that the way he did it is wrong, just calling it like I see it.

To be fair, Rezko was not accused of and based on what we know, Obama did not know of any wrong doings by Rezko at the time of donations. Once this information surfaced, he donated the contributions to charity...so I'm not sure I understand your beef and what different you would have wanted him to do. If you say not accept them in the first place, then I guess you are assuming Obama was in the know...and if that's the case, I'd like to see that proof.

Here's a story:

WASHINGTON -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama is giving charity more than $40,000 in past political contributions linked to Chicago real estate developer and fast-food magnate Antoin "Tony" Rezko, who is facing federal corruption charges, his campaign said Saturday.

The contributions are from seven people who contributed to Obama's House and Senate campaigns. None of the money was for his current presidential bid.

"Recent public information has called into question contributions to the Obama campaign from a donor and fundraiser," Obama spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement Saturday. "It is the policy and practice of the campaign to review all such new information and dispose of questionable funds such as the potential illegal 'straw donations' that campaigns, like other presidential campaigns this cycle, must address as new facts emerge.

"Our consistent practice in these circumstances is to give the funds to charity out of an abundance of caution," Burton said.

The decision to dispose of the money came after it was reported Saturday that Obama is the unnamed "political candidate" mentioned in one paragraph of a 78-page prosecution document that outlines the case against Rezko.

Rezko, a longtime fundraiser for Obama, is charged with fraud, attempted extortion and money laundering. Prosecutors say he conspired to get campaign money and payoffs from firms seeking to do business before two state boards.

Obama has not been accused of any wrongdoing.

The returned money includes three $10,000 contributions from donors that the campaign identified as having connections to Rezko. They are Michel Malek, Craig Morgan and Elie Maloof.

When prosecutors unsealed their charges against Rezko in October 2006, Obama gave $11,500 in Rezko contributions to charities.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=117500&src=329

I guess I meant cash basis, but you answered my question. Obama and Clinton are still raising and spending money for the primaries, while McCain is raising money for the general election. The money does not cross over. Can Obama be raising money for both already, or is that not allowed?

Yes, they can be raising money for both - a donor designates what the money is for. Usually though, any money raised now is earmarked for the primary unless a donor has passed the $2,300 limit in which, case the excess donation can apply to the general election (another $2,300 limit or $4,600 total between primary and general). If a candidate has unused money at the end, it is usually given back to the RNC/DNC or other campaigns at the candidate's discretion.

Actually, McCain has already done that. Obama's campaign has "declined to speculate."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...n-attack-1.html

Actually, McCain has already done that. Obama's campaign has "declined to speculate."

So if Obama accepts (I assume he's declining to speculate now b/c by doing so would he would be effectively stating that he's won the nomination and the press/Clinton/etc would tear him up for that) has McCain said what he will do with all the money he is raising now...charity?

Get off the charity thing. No one said that. My point was that Obama is raising an awful lot of money for someone who committed to public financing if he and McCain won their respective party's nominations. Obama doesn't have to presume anything. All he has to say is, "We haven't won the nomination yet. We're still in a tight battle with Sen. Clinton. However, should we win the nomination, we will gladly honor our pledge to publicly finance our campaign if Sen. McCain agrees to do the same."

Get off the charity thing. No one said that. My point was that Obama is raising an awful lot of money for someone who committed to public financing if he and McCain won their respective party's nominations. Obama doesn't have to presume anything. All he has to say is, "We haven't won the nomination yet. We're still in a tight battle with Sen. Clinton. However, should we win the nomination, we will gladly honor our pledge to publicly finance our campaign if Sen. McCain agrees to do the same."

Actually...you said it up above:

"So I'm guessing he'll just donate all this extra money to charity once he agrees to public financing in the fall like he said he would do."

I think Obama has made a similiar statement to what you just suggested:

Obama said it would be "presumptuous of me to say now that I'm locking myself into something when I don't even know if the other side is going to agree to it."

A leading advocate of limits on campaign finances, McCain is turning down government matching funds for the primary to free himself to spend more money as he prepares for a general election contest.

Obama's spokesman, Bill Burton, also said: "John McCain is in no place to question anyone on pledges when he abandoned the latest campaign finance reform efforts in order to run for the Republican nomination and went back on his commitment to take public financing for the primary election this year."

As for accepting public money for the general election, McCain said: "I obviously would have to reevaluate if Sen. Obama or Sen. Clinton does not make that commitment."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/20/...olitics_3852212

So it sounds like McCain hasn't exactly made an emphatic statement like the one you suggested above either. I think that once again you are making an issue over a non-issue. If Obama wins the nomination, I'm sure there will be discussions between the two about agreeing to what campaign finance approach they are going to take. Again, it makes sense for McCain to push for public campaign finance because he knows he can't grassroots outraise Obama.

By the way..the other irony in all of this is....the Republicans are going to line up behind this public financing mantra to support McCain. Yet, this is the same group who usually supports less government involvement, self-reliance, etc. ... but they will be arguing for using $170M of tax payer dollars ($85M per candidate) instead of having regular citizens donate to campaigns as they see fit. Pretty ironic huh?

Actually...you said it up above:

"So I'm guessing he'll just donate all this extra money to charity once he agrees to public financing in the fall like he said he would do."

You're not getting it. The charity comment was me being a smartass about what he's going to do with a bunch of money he's pledged not to use in the general election because he's committed to public financing along with McCain.

I think Obama has made a similiar statement to what you just suggested:

Obama said it would be "presumptuous of me to say now that I'm locking myself into something when I don't even know if the other side is going to agree to it."

Except McCain has already said that he would agree to it. He said so in the link I provided above. Obama's response was non-committal. That's not the same thing as what I suggested.

As for accepting public money for the general election, McCain said: "I obviously would have to reevaluate if Sen. Obama or Sen. Clinton does not make that commitment."

That was on the heels of Obama's non-committal response to the matter. McCain said that he still intends to honor it if Obama will.

So it sounds like McCain hasn't exactly made an emphatic statement like the one you suggested above either.

Except that he did. From the article I linked earlier:

McCain said. "I committed to public financing . He committed to public financing. It is not any more complicated than that. I would hope he would keep his commitment to the American people. That's not transparency nor is it keeping one's word to the American people to take public financing. I'll keep my word. I want him to keep his if he's the nominee and I'm the nominee of our respective parties."

McCain said he had committed in writing to take public financing if he were the GOP nominee, as now is all but guaranteed, but would now have to "re-evaluate if Sen. Obama or Sen. (Hillary) Clinton does not make that commitment." Clinton has never made such a commitment.

Note that the only caveat he raises is if Obama doesn't live up to his commitment.

I think that once again you are making an issue over a non-issue. If Obama wins the nomination, I'm sure there will be discussions between the two about agreeing to what campaign finance approach they are going to take. Again, it makes sense for McCain to push for public campaign finance because he knows he can't grassroots outraise Obama.

It's not a non-issue. It would be if Obama would just flatly say that in light of McCain's repeated pledged commitment to use public financing for the general election, I also reiterate my commitment to do the same if in fact, we win the nomination.

And I'm well aware of why it helps McCain. But right now it looks like Obama is buying time to look for a loophole because even he didn't expect the swell of money that he's gotten back when he made that commitment. There's no excuse. You either stick to your word or you don't.

You're not getting it. The charity comment was me being a smartass about what he's going to do with a bunch of money he's pledged not to use in the general election because he's committed to public financing along with McCain.

Again, the vast majority of the money he is raising now is for the primary...so your smartass remark was based on bad facts...he has not raised a bunch of general election money.

Except McCain has already said that he would agree to it. He said so in the link I provided above. Obama's response was non-committal. That's not the same thing as what I suggested.

You are splitting hairs..why does it matter if Obama has a committal now or later. He's not the nominee now so it would be presumptious anyway. Yes there is a PC way for him to make a statement but what's the point other than to appease JM and his supporters who are looking for ways to take shots. Again, much bigger issues to be discussed and this will be resolved in due time.

And I'm well aware of why it helps McCain. But right now it looks like Obama is buying time to look for a loophole because even he didn't expect the swell of money that he's gotten back when he made that commitment. There's no excuse. You either stick to your word or you don't.

We both know that come the appropriate time, either both will accept public financing or both will not. Everthing now is nothing but political back-and-forth which is stupid IMO.

Again, the vast majority of the money he is raising now is for the primary...so your smartass remark was based on bad facts...he has not raised a bunch of general election money.

Regardless, it was a throwaway remark, not something on which to build to crux of your counterargument.

You are splitting hairs..why does it matter if Obama has a committal now or later. He's not the nominee now so it would be presumptious anyway. Yes there is a PC way for him to make a statement but what's the point other than to appease JM and his supporters who are looking for ways to take shots. Again, much bigger issues to be discussed and this will be resolved in due time.

We both know that come the appropriate time, either both will accept public financing or both will not. Everthing now is nothing but political back-and-forth which is stupid IMO.

Actually, we don't know that. What we know is that McCain is saying he will submit to public financing if Obama agrees. Obama is saying...nothing of substance. He's hedging. It's not presumptuous of him to say, if we do win the nomination, then we will use public financing if McCain does.

Regardless, it was a throwaway remark, not something on which to build to crux of your counterargument.

Actually, we don't know that. What we know is that McCain is saying he will submit to public financing if Obama agrees. Obama is saying...nothing of substance. He's hedging. It's not presumptuous of him to say, if we do win the nomination, then we will use public financing if McCain does.

Now that our debate has officially turned stupid, you can have the last word. :)

Archived