A better way to spend May?

quietfan

With all the controversy over the so-called "Saban rule" takng coaches off the recruiting trail this time of year, Mark Richt finds a better way to spend his time:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...&thispage=1

Georgia takes different kind of road trip

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Believe it or not, there are SEC football coaches who don't think it's the end of the world as we know it because they can't visit 212 high schools next month to not talk to recruits.

Mark Richt, who realizes there's a big world out there outside the lines, has other plans. He's taking a couple dozen of his Georgia players on a road trip to a tropical climate.

Don't alert the NCAA.

Georgia already has.

This isn't a pleasure trip to Jamaica, which would be against the rules.

It's a mission trip to Honduras.

It's only against the grain.

How many college football players would volunteer to spend five days in May without their iPhone and their MTV?

How many of them would sign up to spend five days in a remote mountain region of a foreign country without a telephone, a television or air-conditioning? To work in and around a hospital to build something or paint something or just spend time with the patients?

"More guys signed up than I thought would," Richt said.

At first, 26 Bulldogs volunteered. That number has dropped to 23 because of scheduling conflicts, but that's still a large number of large young men who'll learn things they don't teach on campus in the classroom or the meeting room.

Richt and his family took this same trip last year to Guaimaca, Honduras, as a part of World Baptist Missions. They'd work at Hospital Bautista, which also includes a day-care center and a feeding program, and "spread the gospel a little bit" and have Christian fellowship in the evenings.

"When I went there last year," Richt said, "I thought it would be awesome for our guys to experience that."

For years, college basketball teams have seized the opportunity to take preseason trips to other countries, where they play exhibitions against local teams and expand their horizons as well as their games.

The only game these Georgia players will be playing in Honduras is a different kind of football against the locals.

In soccer, take the locals, once they get over the initial shock at the size of the Americans. Last year, the Hondurans thought Richt's son Jon was big, and the freshman quarterback - who's headed to Clemson, not Georgia - goes 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds.

Wait until they get a look at offensive lineman Ben Jones (6-3, 300), defensive end Rod Battle (6-4, 261), running back Richard Samuel (6-2, 215) and the other Bulldogs.

"They'll freak out when they see how big they are," Richt said. "Their jaws will drop, and then they'll thump us in soccer." :lol:

Hey, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, right?

Cudos to all the Bulldogs taking part in this work! :thumbsup:

Maybe more teams can do things like this if the coaches aren't busy visiting high schools. And it doesn't necessarily have to mean traveling great distances--I'm sure there are plenty of domestic/local projects that can use a helping hand. (Although in respect for separation of church and state, such work must remain voluntary without undue pressure to force participation by players.)

UGA apparently is having a tough time in their sit down meetings with the SEC/NCAA because the NCAA is unsure of several questions we ask them BUT most things have been worked out

Some more players want to go but money is an issue for them

Some more players want to go but money is an issue for them

That should go to show that it isn't extra benefits, rather a personal expense and gift of self. I think that these players should be commended for their efforts, and that just added to the many qualities of Richt that I like.

I have been on mission trips to Europe, South America, and all over the US. Sure, you help a lot of people that need it, but damn, it's expensive! I want to go on one to Africa at the end of the year, but the plane tickets alone cost 2300 dollars.

Good for the players wanting to help. But if the NCAA gets in the way, they need to be shot.

I took our youth group to Belize last summer and it was amazing! I hope that as many players who want to go, can. It is life-changing. If the NCAA goes after UGA for "extra benefits" to players if some people help these kids go, I will be the first to write a letter to them to express my displeasure in their practices. I ticked me off enough we got in trouble for helping a guy get soe groceries, but if this were to get Georgia in trouble, the NCAA would need a major overhaul.

I have been on mission trips to Europe, South America, and all over the US. Sure, you help a lot of people that need it, but damn, it's expensive! I want to go on one to Africa at the end of the year, but the plane tickets alone cost 2300 dollars.

Good for the players wanting to help. But if the NCAA gets in the way, they need to be shot.

You could save a lot of money by doing your mission work in Tuscalooser where it is badly needed :poke:

With all the controversy over the so-called "Saban rule" takng coaches off the recruiting trail this time of year, Mark Richt finds a better way to spend his time:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...&thispage=1

Georgia takes different kind of road trip

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Believe it or not, there are SEC football coaches who don't think it's the end of the world as we know it because they can't visit 212 high schools next month to not talk to recruits.

Mark Richt, who realizes there's a big world out there outside the lines, has other plans. He's taking a couple dozen of his Georgia players on a road trip to a tropical climate.

Don't alert the NCAA.

Georgia already has.

This isn't a pleasure trip to Jamaica, which would be against the rules.

It's a mission trip to Honduras.

It's only against the grain.

How many college football players would volunteer to spend five days in May without their iPhone and their MTV?

How many of them would sign up to spend five days in a remote mountain region of a foreign country without a telephone, a television or air-conditioning? To work in and around a hospital to build something or paint something or just spend time with the patients?

"More guys signed up than I thought would," Richt said.

At first, 26 Bulldogs volunteered. That number has dropped to 23 because of scheduling conflicts, but that's still a large number of large young men who'll learn things they don't teach on campus in the classroom or the meeting room.

Richt and his family took this same trip last year to Guaimaca, Honduras, as a part of World Baptist Missions. They'd work at Hospital Bautista, which also includes a day-care center and a feeding program, and "spread the gospel a little bit" and have Christian fellowship in the evenings.

"When I went there last year," Richt said, "I thought it would be awesome for our guys to experience that."

For years, college basketball teams have seized the opportunity to take preseason trips to other countries, where they play exhibitions against local teams and expand their horizons as well as their games.

The only game these Georgia players will be playing in Honduras is a different kind of football against the locals.

In soccer, take the locals, once they get over the initial shock at the size of the Americans. Last year, the Hondurans thought Richt's son Jon was big, and the freshman quarterback - who's headed to Clemson, not Georgia - goes 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds.

Wait until they get a look at offensive lineman Ben Jones (6-3, 300), defensive end Rod Battle (6-4, 261), running back Richard Samuel (6-2, 215) and the other Bulldogs.

"They'll freak out when they see how big they are," Richt said. "Their jaws will drop, and then they'll thump us in soccer." :lol:

Hey, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, right?

Cudos to all the Bulldogs taking part in this work! :thumbsup:

Maybe more teams can do things like this if the coaches aren't busy visiting high schools. And it doesn't necessarily have to mean traveling great distances--I'm sure there are plenty of domestic/local projects that can use a helping hand. (Although in respect for separation of church and state, such work must remain voluntary without undue pressure to force participation by players.)

I am sure there are plenty of elderly citizens around that could stand for someone to mow their yard, clean their house, or there is always some trash to pick up around the streets. The local children's home/orphanages, would love to have these guys come in and read to the kids...etc...etc...etc.. It would be nice if more teams did things like this.

I applaud Mark Richt and these players. What a great thing to do, especially in this day and age. :clap:

I heard a story of few coaches families willing to pay for some players trip and the NCAA shot it down. Well, UGA told the families that the NCAA would shoot it down :(

Looks like a good amount will still travel

Archived