What the NFL Draft tells us about recruiting rankings

au.tiger.96

What did this draft tell us? Believe them at your own risk.

I went back and looked at how Rivals.com ranked the nation's Top 25 college football recruiting classes in 2003 and 2004. Those classes produced the great share of players taken in the NFL Draft Saturday and Sunday.

For instance, South Carolina's 2003 class was ranked eighth in the nation. That great class produced one NFL Draft pick Sunday. Mississippi State was ranked ninth in 2003 and Alabama was ranked 15th in 2004, yet both programs failed to produce a draftee over the weekend.

Meanwhile, neither Vanderbilt nor Kentucky had a class that cracked the Top 25 in either year. Yet the two traditional gridiron doormats had a combined seven players taken in the NFL Draft.

Ah, but there's one notable caveat, and it's called Nick Saban. LSU's 2003 class was ranked No. 1 and its 2004 class was ranked No. 2. LSU produced seven NFL Draft picks over the weekend. Oh, and LSU also won the 2007 national title with that talent.

Best talent evaluators? Look at the rankings for Arkansas and Auburn, and compare them with the NFL draftees produced.

School..................2003.2004..2008 NFL Draft

LSU........................1.....2....7

Arkansas................NR..22....6

Auburn...................11....21....5

Georgia...................6.....6.....4

Kentucky................NR...NR..4

Vanderbilt...............NR...NR..3

Florida.....................2.....7....3

Tennessee.............18...11.....2

South Carolina.........8...NR....1

Alabama................NR...15....0

Ole Miss................NR...NR...0

Miss. State.............9....NR....0

http://blog.al.com/segrest/2008/04/what_th...ells_us_ab.html

The one argument I have with NFL draft picks versus College Recruiting rankings is that the recruiting rankings are about impact at a college level.

No one ranks players based on potential NFL impact atage 17-18. Many players become better players during their college years and reveal talent hidden during their high school years. Also, some kids peak at the college level and can't compete in the nfl due to a number of reasons but really impact their college teams.

Look at Ohio States QB Smith. He won't really play much at the NFL level but he had a huge impact on his college team.

The one argument I have with NFL draft picks versus College Recruiting rankings is that the recruiting rankings are about impact at a college level.

No one ranks players based on potential NFL impact atage 17-18. Many players become better players during their college years and reveal talent hidden during their high school years. Also, some kids peak at the college level and can't compete in the nfl due to a number of reasons but really impact their college teams.

Look at Ohio States QB Smith. He won't really play much at the NFL level but he had a huge impact on his college team.

Yep, helped the them to win a bad conference and then get steamrolled by Florida.

Yes, but you can't honestly tell me you wouldn't have wanted him behind center at auburn watching him play at Ohio State. The kid played well at the college level but was missing a lot of NFL level talents.

There is a complete difference between college talent competeing against college talent and college talent competing against nfl talent.

In college, only 3-6 players in a 25 player recruiting season will make it to the nfl. When at the NFL level those kids won't face anymore college talent. Where as in the college ranks many average players face off against future NFL talent. That doesn't mean the 25 kids recruited won't make up a very good team.

Recruiting rankings are based off the impact that it will bring the team, not the NFL.

I have always felt that recruiting rankings are important but not as important as the sites lead us to believe.

I mean, I don't think it is a coincidence that most of the teams finishing in the Top 15-20 are also finishing in the Rivals/Scout Top 15-20

Now, every team? Of course not. But a high majority? Yes

Archived