General Wesley Clark- - - - - Under the bus! The Obama bus that is.

Tigermike

Weasle Clark is an embarrassment to the uniform. The guy is nothing more than a Left wing hack.

Well, you're an embarrassment to...uh, civilians. :rolleyes:

You disagree with him politically. He served bravely while you were being a punk. Raptor-- classless as usual. :no:

Weasle Clark is an embarrassment to the uniform. The guy is nothing more than a Left wing hack.

You disagree with him politically. He served bravely while you were being a punk. Raptor-- classless as usual. :no:

You like to call other posters names from behind the keyboard, I've noticed. A trait favored by most cowards.

As for Gen. Clark, he is a weasle becaue he dares to impune the honor of an actual war hero, one who served time as a POW and endured far more than Weasle could imagine. Simply because McCain is running for President on the "other side of the aisle" , doesn't give Weasle the right to mock his service or belittle the hell he spent as a POW. How dare he, a uniformed man, even for a moment utter any disparaging remarks towards McCain and the price he's paid. Weasle is a punk, a piece of pig dung ,but a fitting mouth piece for the hate America First Lefties.

You like to call other posters names from behind the keyboard, I've noticed. A trait favored by most cowards.

As for Gen. Clark, he is a weasle becaue he dares to impune the honor of an actual war hero, one who served time as a POW and endured far more than Weasle could imagine. Simply because McCain is running for President on the "other side of the aisle" , doesn't give Weasle the right to mock his service or belittle the hell he spent as a POW. How dare he, a uniformed man, even for a moment utter any disparaging remarks towards McCain and the price he's paid. Weasle is a punk, a piece of pig dung ,but a fitting mouth piece for the hate America First Lefties.

You are so incredibly delusional and hypocritical that you seemingly don't even realize that I was responding to you impugning a decorated war veteran that has not demeaned any other veteran. You can't point to anything he said that qualifies as "belittling the hell he spent as a POW." You just respond with your reflexive right wing attacks, like a good little Stepford Republican. Mindless, thoughtless, heartless, soulless.

SCHIEFFER: Well, you -- you went so far as to say that you thought John McCain was, quote -- and these are your words -- "untested and untried." And I must say, I had to read that twice, because you're talking about somebody who was a prisoner of war. He was a squadron commander of the largest squadron in the Navy. He's been on the Senate Armed Services Committee for lo these many years -- how can you say that John McCain is untested and untried, General?

CLARK: Because in the matters of national security policy-making, it's a matter of understanding risk. It's a matter of gauging your opponents, and it's a matter of being held accountable. John McCain's never done any of that in his official positions. I certainly honor his service as a prisoner of war. He was a hero to me and to hundreds of thousands of millions of others in the Armed Forces as a prisoner of war. He has been a voice on the Senate Armed Services Committee, and he has traveled all over the world. But he hasn't held executive responsibility. That large squadron in the Air -- in the Navy that he commanded, it wasn't a wartime squadron. He hasn't been there and ordered the bombs to fall. He hasn't seen what it's like when diplomats come in and say, "I don't know whether we're going to be able to get this point through or not. Do you want to take the risk?

Argue the other side of McCain's experience and how it has prepared him to be a strong CIC if you wish, but if you are finding it necessary to distort what Clark said, maybe it is because you don't really have confidence in that argument. Or maybe you just lack the capacity to formulate it.

Rule of thumb: When your argument devolves to the point that you start calling an American, especially a decorated war veteran, "the French guy," you've officially lost the argument. :roflol:

Rule of thumb: (1) I have called Kerry the French guy for over four years. It never bothered you before which makes it obvious you are grasping at straws. (2) Calling him that has nothing to do with his being a "a decorated war veteran", (3) When this is the best argument you have, you were never in the argument.

You should be ashamed; he is a decorated war veteran and a Left wing hack. And as such his motives can not be questioned, and his words do not matter.

I will have to say that a big difference in the French guy and Mr. Clark is Mr. Clark probably earned his medals and knew where he was on Christmas Day 1968.

"I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in Cambodia. I remember what it was like to be shot at by Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the president of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia. I have that memory which is seared -- seared -- in me." John The French Guy Kerry, who never went to Cambodia

Rule of thumb: When your argument devolves to the point that you start calling an American, especially a decorated war veteran, "the French guy," you've officially lost the argument. :roflol:

Rule of thumb: (1) I have called Kerry the French guy for over four years. It never bothered you before which makes it obvious you are grasping at straws. (2) Calling him that has nothing to do with his being a "a decorated war veteran", (3) When this is the best argument you have, you were never in the argument.

You should be ashamed; he is a decorated war veteran and a Left wing hack. And as such his motives can not be questioned, and his words do not matter.

I will have to say that a big difference in the French guy and Mr. Clark is Mr. Clark probably earned his medals and knew where he was on Christmas Day 1968.

"I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in Cambodia. I remember what it was like to be shot at by Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the president of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia. I have that memory which is seared -- seared -- in me." John The French Guy Kerry, who never went to Cambodia

Awfully proud of that post, are you? But twice? :poke::moon:B)

Weasle Clark dismisses McCain's POW experience as meaning nothing, and then when Shaeffer points out that Obama has next to any real experience what so ever, Weasle shifts the goal post , and then speaks of 'communication skills' and other b.s. He knows Obama can't stand up to McCain's record, so Weasle instead tries to discount it all together. That he'd do that to an actual American war hero is unconscionable.

Weasle Clark dismisses McCain's POW experience as meaning nothing...

He didn't do that. That's simply not true. You live in an alternate universe.

He did say McCain's military experience, which he explicitly honored, does not necessarily mean that he has the best judgement to be CIC.

What's more, if McCain had ran with Kerry as VP in 2004, you'd be attacking him and diminishing his service. You only respect the service of those with whom you agree politically.

http://formerspook.blogspot.com/2008/06/co...e-of-enemy.html

Good read on Clark, notice the first comment in the comments section. Clark does have a short memory.

Your expert "blogger" has his facts wrong. The "Swift Boaters for Truth" did not serve in the same boat and did not serve "along side" of John Kerry

The "Swift Boaters for Truth", for the most part, served in the sae squadron as Kerry. There were crew members of Kerry's boat who were part of "Swift Boaters for Truth".

List them.

I'm not listing crap. Their motives, who they are, where they served and what they intended to expose to the light of day has been hashed out many times. Many times here when it was happening. The left wanting to denegrate them for telling the truth about the French guy is just more reisionist history.

You'll find the part about O'Neil and his "co author" particularly interesting

Learn more about using Wikipedia for research.

Swift Vets and POWs for Truth

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth)

Jump to: navigation, search

Swift Vets and POWs for Truth official logoSwift Vets and POWs for Truth, formerly known as the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT), is a political group (527 group) of American Swift boat veterans and former prisoners of war of the Vietnam War, formed during the 2004 presidential election campaign for the purpose of opposing John Kerry's candidacy for the presidency.

Contents [hide]

1 Background

2 Membership

3 Media activities

3.1 First television advertisement

3.2 Second television advertisement

3.3 Third television advertisement

3.4 Fourth television advertisement

3.5 Book

4 Controversy

4.1 Truth of allegations

4.2 Connections with Republicans

4.3 Connections with the Bush campaign

4.4 FEC Filings

4.5 Disclosure of documents

5 Relationship to Admiral Roy F. Hoffmann Foundation

6 "Swift Boating"

7 See also

8 References

9 External links

9.1 SBVT and Kerry websites

9.2 Firsthand accounts

9.3 News articles about SBVT

9.4 Editorial and opinion

9.5 Other

10 Further reading

[edit] Background

SBVT asserted that Kerry was "unfit to serve" as President based upon his alleged "willful distortion of the conduct" of American servicemen during that war, and his alleged "withholding and/or distortion of material facts" as to his own conduct during that war.[1] This claim caused tremendous controversy during the election, particularly because some perceived the veterans as partisans who had not been in a place to assess Kerry,[2] while several other Vietnam veterans who served alongside Kerry or under his command disputed the criticisms and supported Kerry in his presidential aspirations.[3][4]

SBVT stated that "Kerry's phony war crimes charges, his exaggerated claims about his own service in Vietnam, and his deliberate misrepresentation of the nature and effectiveness of Swift boat operations compel us to step forward."[5] The group challenged the legitimacy of each of the combat medals awarded to Kerry by the U.S. Navy, and the disposition of his discharge. (See John Kerry military service controversy.) Further, SBVT said that Kerry's later criticism of the war was a "betrayal of trust" with other soldiers, and that by his activism he had caused direct "harm" to soldiers still at war. (See John Kerry VVAW controversy.)

SBVT, registered under Section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code, publicized its criticisms of Kerry during the election campaign in a book, in television advertisements that the group ran in swing states, and in the media coverage some members received. The group was the subject of several complaints to the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

After the election, the group was credited by some media and praised by conservatives as contributing to Kerry's defeat[6] while critics consider the group an example of a successful political smear campaign.[7]

[edit] Membership

SBVT was formed in 2004. Membership was initially limited to veterans of the Vietnam War who at some point served in a Swift boat unit, as did Kerry.

Of the 3,500 Swift boat sailors who served in Vietnam, the names of some 250 appeared on the group's statement against Kerry; most did not serve at the same time or in the same place as Kerry.[8][9][10] Founding members of SBVT include Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann (retired), a former commander of Swift boat forces; Houston attorney John O'Neill, an officer who became commander of Swift Boat PCF 94 several months after Kerry's departure in 1969 and who appeared opposite Kerry in a televised 1971 debate between them on The Dick Cavett Show; and 13 other named veterans. Several of those who joined SBVT during the 2004 campaign were officers who had previously praised Kerry's conduct during the Vietnam War. These included Division Commander Grant Hibbard, who wrote positive evaluations of Kerry, and Commander George Elliott, who submitted Kerry for a Silver Star. SBVT counts, in total, 16 officers who served with Kerry in Coastal Division 11 as members.[11] Despite SBVT's statements that Kerry's "entire chain of command" belonged to the group,[12] Joseph Streuli, former commander of Coastal Division 13, Charles Horne, former commander of Coastal Squadron 1, and Art Price, former commander CTF 116 who is described in Unfit for Command as part of Kerry's chain of command, are not affiliated with the group.

The group's initial letter against Kerry stated "It is our collective judgment that, upon your return from Vietnam, you grossly and knowingly distorted the conduct of the American soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen of that war (including a betrayal of many of us, without regard for the danger your actions caused us). Further, we believe that you have withheld and/or distorted material facts as to your own conduct in this war."[13] However, Kerry had posted over 100 pages of his military records at his website nearly two weeks before the issuance of the SBVT letter, and had also made his military medical records available for inspection by reporters (and provided a summary from his doctor).[14][15][16]

Not all SBVT members said that they were signing the letter for the same reason. For example, from an interview published the day before the letter was made public: " '[Kerry] earned his medals, he did what he was supposed to do in Vietnam,' said retired Coast Guard Captain Adrian Lonsdale, who was in the chain of command above Kerry and oversaw various operations dealing with Navy swift boats of the type Kerry commanded. 'But I was very disappointed in his statements after he got out of the Navy.' "[17]

Of those who served in Kerry's boat crew, only Stephen Gardner joined SBVT.[18] He was not present on any of the occasions when Kerry won his medals, including his Purple Hearts. Gardner appeared in two of the group's television advertisements.

All other living members of Kerry's crew supported his presidential bid, and some frequently campaigned with him as his self-described 'band of brothers'. Kerry crewmembers have disputed some of SBVT's various allegations: "totally false" (Drew Whitlow), "garbage" (Gene Thorson), and "a pack of lies" (Del Sandusky).[19][20][21]

No members of SBVT were aboard Kerry's boat during any of the incidents for which he was decorated. The only member of SBVT who was present at the Silver Star incident, Rood's crewmember Larry Clayton Lee, praised Kerry's tactics and stated that he earned his Silver Star; he stated that based on discussions with other SBVT members, he came to question whether Kerry deserved other medals for incidents at which he was not present.[22][23]

On September 29, 2004, SBVT announced that it was joining forces with a group of American prisoners of war who were held captive by the North Vietnamese during the war to form the new group, "Swift Vets and POWs For Truth".[24]

[edit] Media activities

SBVT produced several television advertisements created by Stevens Reed Curcio & Potholm attacking Kerry's actions both in and after Vietnam. For a detailed discussion of SBVT's allegations about Kerry's service in Vietnam, see John Kerry military service controversy.

[edit] First television advertisement

SBVT first went public with a May 4, 2004, press conference declaring opposition to Kerry. When the press conference garnered little attention, the organization produced television advertisements. On August 5, 2004, SBVT began airing a one-minute television spot[25][26] in three hotly contested states in the ongoing presidential election. The advertisement, entitled "Any Questions?", was a collage of short clips of 13 SBVT members, many who stated they "served with John Kerry" or had direct contact with Kerry during his service in Vietnam. The veterans appearing in the ad said Kerry was dishonest, unreliable, unfit to lead, and had dishonored his country and fellow veterans. Only one of the men in the advertisement (Steve Gardner) served under Kerry, but some sailed alongside Kerry's Swift boat on multi-boat patrols.

Among the first to criticize this ad was Republican Senator John McCain, a Bush supporter, Vietnam veteran, and former POW. He said, "I condemn the [sBVT] ad. It is dishonest and dishonorable. I think it is very, very wrong".[27]

[edit] Second television advertisement

On August 20, 2004, SBVT released a second television advertisement[28][29] featuring a portion of Kerry's 1971 testimony, before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.[30] Kerry, testifying as a member of Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW), had criticized U.S. policy in Vietnam. He had also described VVAW's 1971 Winter Soldier Investigation, in which more than 100 soldiers and civilians said they had seen or committed atrocities carried out by U.S. forces in Vietnam. Kerry's Senate testimony presented a summary of these men's statements; he did not, however, say that he had any personal knowledge of these atrocities. The SBVT advertisement alternated clips of Kerry's summary of these statements with charges from Vietnam veterans, particularly former POWs, that Kerry's "accusations" had demoralized and "betrayed" soldiers in Vietnam.

See also: Fulbright Hearing

[edit] Third television advertisement

A third television advertisement[31][32] began airing on August 26, 2004, attacking Kerry's past statements that he was in Cambodia on Christmas Eve, 1968. This advertisement featured Stephen Gardner stating, " I spent more time on John Kerry's boat than any other crew member. ... John Kerry claims that he spent Christmas in 1968 in Cambodia and that is categorically a lie. Not in December, not in January. We were never in Cambodia on a secret mission, ever."

However, Gardner was only a member of Kerry's crew for a month and a half, from December 6, 1968 to approximately January 22, 1969; crew directories and first hand accounts indicate that other crewmembers served as long or longer under Kerry's command.[33][34]

In addition, Kerry had never said that the Christmas Eve incident was a "secret mission," but happened during a routine patrol;[34] furthermore, he stated at least two weeks prior to the ad's appearance that he had been patrolling at or near the border at the time and subsequently ambushed.[35][36] The account of the patrol appears in Douglas Brinkley's "Tour of Duty," [pp. 209-219] and Cmdr. Elliott noted in Kerry's fitness report that his boat was ambushed during the Christmas truce of 1968.[37] Moreover, Kerry's biographer, Douglas Brinkley, has stated that Kerry "went into Cambodian waters three or four times in January and February 1969 on clandestine missions".[38][39]

See also: John Kerry military service controversy#Cambodia mission

[edit] Fourth television advertisement

On August 31, 2004, a fourth advertisement[40][41] was released by SBVT. The advertisement described Kerry as a man who "renounced his country's symbols," a reference to a Vietnam War protest where Kerry threw war decorations over the fence of the U.S. Capitol building on April 23, 1971. The advertisement also contained edited video clips of Kerry from a WRC-TV program called Viewpoints, in which he stated that he gave back "six, seven, eight, nine" (in response to a question: "How many did you give back, John?"); it then included a clip from another part of that interview where Kerry stated "and that was the medals themselves," although in the interview it was not in reference to the decorations he returned.[42]

See also: John Kerry VVAW controversy

[edit] Book

Unfit for Command

Author John E. O'Neill and Jerome Corsi

Publisher Regnery Publishing

Publication date August 2004

Media type Hardcover/Paperback

ISBN ISBN 0-89526-017-4

SBVT founder and spokesman John O'Neill and Jerome Corsi are listed as coauthors of the book Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry, published by Regnery Publishing. A best-seller upon its release in August 2004, it criticized Kerry's judgment in battle, his truthfulness, his entitlement to certain medals, and his later anti-war activities. The book was based in part on interviews with veterans who served in or with Kerry's division, and also on biographies of Kerry. Several members of Kerry's crew stated that O'Neill failed to interview them; some veterans who were interviewed asserted that their statements were edited to strip out material favorable to Kerry.[43] Neither O'Neill nor Corsi had any firsthand knowledge of Kerry's service. O'Neill served on the Swift boats after Kerry left Vietnam and Corsi never served in Vietnam.

After controversial statements made by Corsi became public, O'Neill denied Corsi's coauthorship of the book, saying that Corsi was "simply an editor and not really any sort of co-author."[44][45] However, portions of the book[46] contain material also found in articles posted under Corsi's name at WinterSoldier.com, a website critical of John Kerry,[47][48] and O'Neill is cited in a later book as describing Corsi as helping to write "Unfit for Command," and urging him to back out of media appearances after the controversial comments became public.[49]

[edit] Controversy

[edit] Truth of allegations

A major part of the SBVT controversy centered on the group's testimony. Among the first to question the first ad was Republican Senator John McCain, a Bush supporter, Vietnam veteran, and former POW. He said, "I condemn the [sBVT] ad. It is dishonest and dishonorable. I think it is very, very wrong".[27] As a naval aviator in Vietnam, McCain had no firsthand knowledge of Kerry's service. The SBVT statements were accompanied by sworn affidavits, although one affiant, Al French, later admitted he had no firsthand knowledge of what he had sworn to.[50]

The first SBVT ad was contradicted by the statements of several other veterans who observed the incidents, by the Navy's official records, and, in some instances, by the contemporaneous statements of SBVT members themselves.

Several major newspapers were also skeptical of the SBVT allegations. For example, a New York Times news article stated, "on close examination, the accounts of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth prove to be riddled with inconsistencies."[51] ABC News's The Note opined, "the Swift Boat ad and their primary charges about Kerry's medals are personal, negative, extremely suspect, or false."[52] Regarding the medal dispute, a Los Angeles Times editorial[53] stated, "Not limited by the conventions of our colleagues in the newsroom, we can say it outright: These charges against John Kerry are false." The editorial argued this position on the basis that "Kerry is backed by almost all those who witnessed the events in question, as well as by documentation." On August 22, 2004 The Washington Post reported: "An investigation by The Washington Post into what happened that day suggests that both sides have withheld information from the public record and provided an incomplete, and sometimes inaccurate, picture of what took place. But although Kerry's accusers have succeeded in raising doubts about his war record, they have failed to come up with sufficient evidence to prove him a liar."[54]

The ABC television show Nightline traveled to Vietnam and interviewed Vietnamese who were involved in the battle for which Kerry was awarded the Silver Star. These witnesses disputed O'Neill's charge that there "was little or no fire" that day; they said that the fighting was fierce.[55] SBVT supporters question whether these witnesses are reliable because they spoke "in the presence of a Communist official",[56] but their account of enemy fire is substantially the same as that previously given by another former VC to an AP reporter[57] and by the American witnesses, including the only SBVT member who was actually present that day, Larry Clayton Lee.[58][59][60][61]

Jerome Corsi has said that a picture of Kerry's 1993 visit to Vietnam hangs in the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City as a gesture of "honor" by the Communists "for his contribution to their victory over [the] United States",[62][63] and John O'Neill has stated that Kerry "is in the North Vietnamese war museum as a hero... . one of the heroes who caused them to win the war in Vietnam".[64] The statement is also repeated in "Unfit for Command" (pp 167-174). However, Josh Gerstein of the New York Sun stated in this regard:

“ While the museum clearly honors opponents of the war from America and other countries, it is not clear that the photo of Mr. Kerry is part of that tribute. The picture of the senator hangs among a set of photos devoted to the restoration of diplomatic relations between America and Vietnam in the 1990s.

It was apparently taken as Kerry took part in a delegation President Clinton sent to Hanoi in 1993. Other photos nearby show visits during that period by former American officials who played key roles in the Vietnam War, including a Navy admiral who has since died, Elmo Zumwalt, and a defense secretary, Robert McNamara. A secretary of state during Clinton’s term, Warren Christopher, is also shown meeting Vietnamese officials

”

— Josh Gerstein[65]

In this connection, the webpage Corsi and another anti-Kerry veteran originally published on the Kerry museum photo contained the picture of Robert McNamara's 1995 meeting with General Giap, who was misidentified as "Mao Tse-Tung".[1](Photo #10).

In addition, John O'Neill said that in 1971 John Kerry "wanted to abandon ship and leave the POWs [in Vietnam]" and that "[o]n the Dick Cavett show and elsewhere, John Kerry‘s position was that we should accept the Madame Binh seven-point proposal, which called for unilateral withdrawal, setting a date after which at some future time, we‘d negotiate the return of the POWs. So we would set a date. We would withdraw and then we would begin to discuss how to bring them home".[66] However, in the Cavett debate, Kerry actually said:

“ Now, if we were to set a date for withdrawal from Southeast Asia, we can – the Vietnamese, first of all, have said it will be settled prior to the arrival of that date, but we can set a time limit on that. If the prisoners of war aren't back prior to the arrival of that date, then I think we would have – for the first time in all of our history in Vietnam we would have a legitimate reason for taking some kind of reaction to it. ”

— John Kerry[67]

Early in the advertising campaign, Time magazine surveyed public credence in the SBVT advertisements among those who viewed them. The poll, conducted August 24 through 26, showed that about one-third of viewers believed there was at least "some truth" to the allegations. Among swing voters, about one-fourth felt there was any truth to the ads.[68]

More recently, an early member of the group, Steve Hayes, stated that he came to believe that the group was twisting Kerry's record, and broke with the group and voted for Kerry. Hayes told the New York Times:

The mantra was just 'We want to set the record straight,' Mr. Hayes said this month. It became clear to me that it was morphing from an organization to set the record straight into a highly political vendetta. They knew it was not the truth.

Hayes also told the New York Times that he provided a long interview to Kerry's supporters, backing their version of the incident for which Kerry received the Bronze Star.[69]

[edit] Connections with Republicans

SBVT characterized itself as a non-partisan group both in the legal sense and in spirit, yet several prominent individuals who assisted SBVT also have had close ties to the Republican Party. According to information released by the IRS on February 22, 2005, more than half of the group's reported contributions came from just three sources, all prominent Texas Republican donors: Houston builder Bob J. Perry, a longtime supporter of George W. Bush, donated $4.45 million, Harold Simmons' Contrans donated $3 million, and T. Boone Pickens, Jr. donated $2 million. Other major contributors included Bush fundraiser Carl Lindner ($300,000), Robert Lindner ($260,000), GOP contributor Aubrey McClendon ($250,000), George Matthews Jr. ($250,000), and Crow Holdings ($100,000).[70][71][72]

The initial communications consultant for SBVT was Merrie Spaeth, a Reagan administration press officer and a volunteer consultant to Ken Starr in the Clinton impeachment; she was also a spokesperson for "Republicans for Clean Air," a 527 group opposing John McCain's 2000 presidential campaign and funded by Bush supporters who also helped fund SBVT.[73][74] John E. O'Neill — the primary author of Unfit for Command and a key player in the formation of SBVT — donated over $14,000 to Republican candidates. He co-operated with the Nixon White House in opposing Kerry in 1971, and seconded Nixon's nomination at the 1972 Republican national convention.[75][76]

Retired Admiral William Schachte, a principal source for the SBVT allegations about Kerry's first Purple Heart, has donated to both of Bush’s presidential campaigns. Schachte was also a lobbyist for FastShip, a firm that recently announced it was receiving $40 million in federal funding for one of its projects. In addition, Schachte's lobbying firm associate, David Norcross, was chairman of the 2004 Republican convention.[77] Chris LaCivita, Political Director of the National Republican Senatorial Committee in 2002,[78] works as a private contractor providing media advice for SBVT.[79]

The SBVT postal address was registered to Susan Arceneaux, treasurer of the Majority Leader's Fund, a PAC closely tied to the former Congressional leader, Republican Dick Armey.[80]

Republican activist Sam Fox's donation of $50,000 to SBVT during the 2004 campaign[81] caused a controversy when Bush nominated him to the position of ambassador to Belgium. Because the Democratic members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee indicated that they would not support his nomination, Bush withdrew the nomination; he appointed Fox to the position on April 4, 2007, while Congress was in recess.[82][83]

These ties, along with others (see below), led to suggestions in the popular press that SBVT was a front group for Republicans.[84][85][51]

[edit] Connections with the Bush campaign

The Bush campaign became part of the general SBVT controversy when McCain condemned the first SBVT ad, and said, "I hope that the president will also condemn it." The Bush campaign did not condemn SBVT or the SBVT ads. The campaign did not endorse the group either, stating "We have not and we will not question Senator Kerry's service in Vietnam."[86] Kerry was dismissive of this statement, saying, "Of course, the President keeps telling people he would never question my service to our country. Instead, he watches as a Republican-funded attack group does just that."[87] Kerry also alleged that SBVT was "a front for the Bush campaign. And the fact that the President won’t denounce what they’re up to tells you everything you need to know — he wants them to do his dirty work".[88] When pressed on the issue, President Bush called for an end to all 527 group political advertisements, and challenged Kerry to do the same.[89]

Critics and the Kerry campaign pointed to several specific connections between SBVT and the Bush campaign. The Kerry campaign asserted that Bush campaign headquarters in Florida distributed fliers promoting SBVT events, a charge the Bush campaign denied.[90] Kenneth Cordier, former vice-chair of Veterans for Bush/Cheney (in 2000) and volunteer member of the Bush campaign veterans steering committee, appeared in the second SBVT advertisement. The Bush campaign asked him to resign and stated that it had been unaware of his SBVT involvement.[91]

On August 25, 2004, Benjamin Ginsberg, the top election lawyer to the Bush campaign on campaign finance law, also resigned after it was learned that SBVT was one of his clients. Ginsberg stated that he was withdrawing to avoid being a distraction to the campaign. He declared that he had acted "in a manner that is fully appropriate and legal,"[79] arguing that it was not uncommon or illegal for lawyers to represent campaigns or political parties while also representing 527 groups. He also maintained that he did not disclose to the Bush campaign that he was simultaneously representing the SBVT group. After leaving the Bush campaign, Ginsberg retained his status as counsel to SBVT.

In January 2005, Governor Jeb Bush, the President's brother and Florida chairman for his 2004 campaign,[92] sent a letter to SBVT member and former POW Bud Day, thanking him for his "personal support of my brother in his re-election." In addition, Governor Bush said of the SBVT:

"As someone who truly understands the risk of standing up for something, I simply cannot express in words how much I value their willingness to stand up against John Kerry."[69][93]

[edit] FEC Filings

FEC Cases #5511 and #5525

On August 10, 2004, three campaign finance watchdog groups — Democracy 21, the Campaign Legal Center, and the Center for Responsive Politics — jointly filed an independent complaint with the Federal Election Commission (Case #5511).[94][95] The complaint alleged that SBVT's sources of funding were in violation of federal election law in that "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT) is registered with the IRS as a section 527 group but is not registered with the Commission as a political committee. However, SBVT is, in fact, a federal political committee."

On August 20, 2004, the Kerry campaign filed a complaint with the FEC (Case #5525)[96][97] alleging that SBVT and 20 additional named respondents had conducted campaign activity that "has been coordinated with the Bush campaign and the Republican Party from the outset." Under federal election law, SBVT, as a nonpartisan 527 group, was barred from coordinating with any political campaign. The complaint, citing the "ties" noted above, claimed a "web of connections to the Bush family, high-profile Texas political figures, and President Bush's chief political aide, Karl Rove".

The Bush campaign dismissed charges of ties and asserted there was no co-ordination between SBVT and the campaign. Editorial opinion on the evidence for co-ordination varied. ABC News' The Note stated, "There is no evidence that the Bush campaign is orchestrating the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth."[98] In contrast, the New York Times opined that the SBVT attacks were "orchestrated by negative-campaign specialists deep in the heart of the Texas Republican machine."[99]

FEC Findings - Cases #5511 and #5525

On December 13, 2006, in a consolidated finding, the FEC ruled against the Kerry campaign allegations (Case #5525)[100] finding that...

Following an investigation, the Commission concluded that Swiftvets did not unlawfully coordinate its activities with, or make excessive in-kind contributions to, any federal candidate or political party committee.

In addition, Kerry campaign complaints against 18 other respondents were relegated to "dismissed-other" and 2 relegated to "Reason To Believe/No Further Action" (RTB/NFA) status.

The FEC did, however, find for the joint complainants (Case #5511)[101] in that the SBVT failed to register and file disclosure reports as a federal political committees, and accepted contributions in violation of federal limits and source prohibitions. SBVT was assessed a fine of $299,500.

The conciliation agreement between the FEC and the SBVT also stated, in part:

Indeed, the Commission has never alleged that the SwiftVets acted in knowing defiance of the law, or with the conscious recognition that their actions were prohibited by law, made no findings or conclusions that there were any knowing and willful violations of the law in connection with this matter, and, thus, does not challenge SwiftVets' assertion of its good faith reliance on its understanding of the law.

Solely for the purpose of settling this matter expeditiously and avoiding litigation, without admission with respect to any other proceeding, and with no finding of probable cause by the Commission, SwiftVets agrees not to contest the Commission's conclusions ... .

In addition, as part of the conciliation agreement, SBVT stated that upon completing its obligations under the agreement, it "intends to cease operations as an IRC Section 527 organization and to donate the remainder of its funds to a charity supporting the families of U.S. servicemen and servicewomen killed or wounded in the War in Iraq."[100]

[edit] Disclosure of documents

During the campaign, SBVT criticized Kerry for not signing a Standard Form 180 authorizing general public access to his Navy personnel records.[102] Kerry responded that the documents were posted on his website.[103] On May 20, 2005, Kerry did sign the SF-180 form permitting release of his service records and medical records to reporters from the Boston Globe, the Los Angeles Times, and the Associated Press;[104] he refused a request by the New York Sun for access to the records.[105] The Boston Globe and Los Angeles Times reported that the records largely duplicated what Kerry had released during the campaign.[106][107]

SBVT members also criticized Kerry for not releasing his own private journals and letters. However, SBVT members themselves refused to release documents. For example, a journal by another of the Swift boat commanders and the relevant Navy records of some of the SBVT members involved in specific allegations have not been released.[3]

The White House refused to release records detailing any Bush administration contacts with prominent individuals associated with SBVT. The denied Freedom of Information Act request was filed on August 24 by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.[108][not in citation given]

[edit] Relationship to Admiral Roy F. Hoffmann Foundation

In July 2006, controversy arose over donations SBVT made to a non-profit organization, the Admiral Roy F. Hoffmann Foundation [109], founded by the chairman of SBVT, Roy F. Hoffmann.[110] The address and agent for service for the foundation is Political Compliance Services, the same consulting firm, and consultant - Susan Arceneaux - used by SBVT.[110]

According to reports and SBVT's own filings, SBVT donated $10,000 to the Hoffmann organization in 2005, and in early 2006 donated another $100,000 to the organization.[111][112][113] According to a website purporting to quote SBVT treasurer Weymouth Symmes, the latter donation was subsequently reimbursed by the foundation.[114]

According to the foundation's own website, SBVT has donated a total of $500,000, SBVT co-founder John O'Neill has donated his proceeds from the publication of the book "Unfit for Command," and one of SBVT's major funders, T. Boone Pickens, has contributed nearly $2 million. [109]

[edit] "Swift Boating"

Main article: swiftboating

Since the 2004 election, the term "Swift Boating" (or "swiftboating") has become a common expression for a campaign attacking opponents by questioning their credibility and patriotism. The term is most often used with the pejorative meaning of a smear campaign,[115] but has also been used positively by conservatives.[116]

[edit] See also

Swift Boat challenge

[edit] References

^ Swift Veterans Letter to John Kerry. Swift Vets and POWs for Truth (2004-05-04). Retrieved on 2007-10-25.

^ "Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record", FactCheck.org, 2004-08-22. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ a b Dobbs, Michael. "Swift Boat Accounts Incomplete", Washington Post, 2004-08-22, pp. A01. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ VandeHei, Jim. "Kerry returns home with 'band of brothers'", Lawrence Journal-World, 2004-07-29. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ SwiftVets.com | The Real Story on John Kerry's Military Service

^ Vlahos, Kelley Beaucar. "Conservatives Laud Swift Boat Veterans", Fox News, 2005-02-16. Retrieved on 2007-02-28.

^ Conason, Joe. "Smear Boat Veterans for Bush", Salon.com, May 4, 2004.

^ Swift Boat Sailors' Association.

^ Swift Vets and POWs for Truth.

^ Coastal Squadron One Directory.

^ ‘Any Questions?’ cover letter for TV station managers (2004-08-08). Archived from the original on 2005-09-15.

^ Swift Veteran Quotes. SBVT website (2004-10-09). Archived from the original on 2004-10-09.

^ Swift Veterans Letter to John Kerry. SBVT website (2004-06-29). Archived from the original on 2005-09-15.

^ Glionna, John M.. "Kerry Camp Posts His Military Records", LA Times, 2004-04-21, pp. A17. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ "Kerry Doctor Issues Summary of Military Medical Records", U.S. Newswire, 2004-04-23.

^ Military Records, work=Official Kerry website (2004-12-09). Archived from the original on 2004-12-09.

^ "$25m ad campaign showcases Kerry's career", Boston Globe, 2004-05-04.

^ Brinkley, Douglas. "The Tenth Brother", Time Magazine, 2004-03-09. Retrieved on 2008-06-30.

^ "McCain assails attacks on Kerry wartime record", San Diego Union-Tribune, 2004-08-06.

^ "Vets group attacks Kerry; McCain defends Democrat", San Francisco Chronicle, 2004-08-06.

^ "Kerry crewmates defend his record", Kinston Free Press, 2004-08-29.

^ Gerth, Joseph. "Kentucky veteran involved in ambush backs Kerry account", Courier-Journal (Louisville, KY), 2004-08-26. Retrieved on 2007-04-22.

^ Hume, Brit. "Political Grapevine", Fox News Channel, 2004-08-26. Retrieved on 2007-04-07.

^ Swift Boat Veterans Join Forces With POWs, SBVT website (2004-09-29). Archived from the original on 2004-09-29.

^ Any Questions (script). SBVT website (2004-10-12). Archived from the original on 2004-10-12.

^ Any Questions (video) (WMV). SBVT website (2004-11-08). Archived from the original on 2004-10-11.

^ a b "Morning Show Wrap", ABC News, 2004-08-06. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ Sellout (script). SBVT website (2004-10-12). Archived from the original on 2004-10-10.

^ Sellout (video) (WMV). SBVT website (2004-11-08). Archived from the original on 2004-10-11.

^ John Kerry 1971 Senate Testimony (audio) (MP3). Democracy Now! (2004-08-25). Archived from the original on 2004-08-25.

^ Gunner (script). SBVT website (2004-10-12). Archived from the original on 2004-10-11.

^ Gunner (video) (WMV). SBVT website (2004-11-08). Archived from the original on 2004-10-11.

^ Wasikowski, Lawrence J.. Coastal Squadron One Swift Boat Crew Directory. self-published. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ a b Kranish, Michael. "Heroism, and growing concern about war", Boston Globe, 2003-06-16. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Canon, Scott. "Kerry's Cambodia account challenged by ex-commander", Seattle Times, 2004-08-05. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ Kaplan, Fred (2004-08-23). Holiday in Cambodia. Slate.com. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ Kerry, John. John Kerry Fitness Reports (PDF). JohnKerry.com. Retrieved on 2007-10-20.

^ Rennie, David. "Kerry's confusion over Cambodia", Telegraph, 2004-08-13. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Barone, Michael. "Winter in Cambodia?", U.S. News, 2004-08-30. Retrieved on 2007-04-05.

^ Medals (script). SBVT website (2004-10-12). Archived from the original on 2004-10-09.

^ Medals (video) (WMV). SBVT website (2004-11-08). Archived from the original on 2004-10-11.

^ Discarded Decorations Videotape.... ABC News (2004-04-25). Archived from the original on 2004-08-04.

^ "Friendly Fire: The Birth of an Anti-Kerry Ad", New York Times, 2004-08-20.

^ “Scarborough Country,” MSNBC, 2004-08-10

^ “John O'Neill Interview with Wolf Blitzer,” CNN, 2004-08-11.

^ Excerpts from Unfit for Command. Retrieved on 2007-03-29.

^ Corsi, Jerome (2004-07-27). Communist Vietnamese honor John Kerry, the war protestor, as a hero in their victory over the United States in the Vietnam War – Part II. WinterSoldier.com. Retrieved on 2007-03-29.

^ Corsi, Jerome (2004-05-03). Coordinating with the enemy: Vietnam Veterans Against the War in Paris and Hanoi. WinterSoldier.com. Retrieved on 2007-03-29.

^ “To Set the Record Straight: How Swift Boat Veterans, POWS and the New Media Defeated John Kerry,” by Scott Swett and Tim Ziegler, pp. 120-124

^ "Vets call for resignation of Clackamas prosecutor in Swift Boat ad", KGW, 2004-08-23. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ a b Zernike, Kate; Jim Rutenberg. "Friendly Fire: The Birth of an Anti-Kerry Ad", NY Times, 2004-08-20. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ "ABC News' The Note: Choosing up Sides", ABC News, 2004-08-25. Retrieved on 2007-03-28.

^ "Battle Over Kerry's Record Continues", editorial, LA Times, 2004-08-24, pp. B10. Retrieved on 2007-03-29.

^ Dobbs, Michael. "Swift Boat Accounts Incomplete", Washington Post, 2004-08-22, pp. A01. Retrieved on 2007-03-29.

^ Morse, Andrew. "What Happened in Kerry's Vietnam Battles?", ABC News, 2004-10-14. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Sowell, Thomas. "ABC News or ABC spin", Townhall.com, 2004-10-20. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Mason, Margie. "Former Viet Cong recalls fierce fighting along Mekong Delta waterways where Kerry served.", Associated Press, 2004-09-01. Retrieved on 2007-11-16.

^ Rood, William B.. "This is what I saw that day", Chigago Tribune, 2004-08-22. Retrieved on 2007-04-01. Registration required.

^ Upton, Peter N.. "Kerry's Leadership Is Battle Tested", editorial, Hartford Courant, 2004-07-25, pp. C01,06. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Tour of Duty, pp. 290-292

^ John F. Kerry, The Complete Biography, (Boston Globe), pp. 100-103

^ "Kerry honored at communist museum", WorldNetDaily, 2004-06-01. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Vietnam Veterans For The Truth, LLC. "Kerry Museum Photo Documented". Press release. Retrieved on 2007-04-01. url is self-published

^ "Nightline with Ted Koppel", TV broadcast, ABC News, 2004-10-14. Retrieved on 2007-04-01. Self-published transcript URL.

^ Gerstein, Josh. "Kerry’s Photo Raises Eyebrows In Museum In Ho Chi Minh City", NY Sun, 2004-08-16.

^ "Scarborough Country", transcript, MSNBC TV, 2004-10-22. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ "Dick Cavett Show", transcript, ABC TV, 1971-06-20. Retrieved on 2007-04-01. Transcript URL is self-published

^ Schulman, Mark. "Kerry Slips Slightly as GOP Heads for NYC", Time, 2004-08-28. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ a b Zernike, Kate. "Kerry Pressing Swift Boat Case Long After Loss", NY Times, 2006-05-28. Retrieved on 2007-04-28.

^ Swift Vets Top Contributors, 2004 Cycle. opensecrets. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Frank, John. "ELECTION 2004 / 2 Texans dig deep for boat vet ads / Pair from Dallas kick in $3 million for group's coffers", Houston Chronicle, 2004-10-05, pp. A8. Retrieved on 2007-04-01. Registration required.

^ Bob Perry - The Man Behind Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. fact sheet. Texans for Public Justice (self-published). Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ "Republicans for Clean Air", WIKI, SourceWatch - Center for Media & Democracy. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Yost, Pete. "Bush urges end to TV attack ads by outside groups, whatever their target", AP, 2004-08-23. Retrieved on 2007-04-02.

^ Williams, Brian. "Nixon targeted Kerry for anti-war views", NBC Nightly News, 2004-03-16. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Dobbs, Michael. "After Decades, Renewed War On Old Conflict", Washington Post, 2004-08-28, pp. A01. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Milbank, Dana. "A Swift Shift in Stories", Washington Post, 2004-08-31, pp. A19. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Appleman, Eric M. (2003). Republican Committees-Organization and Finances, 2002 Election Cycle. Democracy in Action. Retrieved on 2007-04-01. Self-published?

^ a b Rutenberg, Jim; Kate Zernike. "Bush Campaign's Top Outside Lawyer Resigns", NY Times, 2007-08-25. Retrieved on 2007-04-01. Registration required.

^ Conason, Joe (2004-08-28). Sailing buddies. opinion. Salon. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Swift Boat Vets and POWs for Truth "527" Political Organization Filing Information. pub info retrieval. CampaignMoney.com. Retrieved on 2007-04-07.

^ "Bush withdraws nomination after Swift Boat criticism", CNN, 2007-03-28. Retrieved on 2007-04-05.

^ Flaherty, Anne. "Dems call for review of Bush appointment", Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 2007-04-05. Retrieved on 2007-04-05.

^ Conason, Joe (2004-08-06). Republicans' Dishonorable Charge. opinion. Salon. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Clift, Eleanor. "Fighting a Phony War", Newsweek, 2004-08-27. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ "Bush Advisors Say Campaign Won't Question Kerry's Service", US News & World Report, 2004-08-16. Retrieved on 2007-04-02.

^ "Kerry Strikes Back Against Vietnam Criticism", AP, 2004-08-20. Retrieved on 2007-04-02.

^ Fournier, Ron. "Kerry accuses Bush of relying on front groups to 'do his dirty work' on Vietnam", AP, 2004-08-19. Retrieved on 2007-04-02.

^ "Bush urges Kerry to condemn attack ads", CNN, 2004-08-24. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ "Volunteer links 'Swift Boat Veterans for Truth' flier to Bush", USA Today, 2004-08-24. Retrieved on 2007-04-01.

^ Milbank, Dana. "Bush Campaign Drops Swift Boat Ad Figure", Washington Post, 2004-08-2, pp. A13. Retrieved on 2007-04-02.

^ President George W. Bush-Campaign Organization, Florida. Democracy in Action. Retrieved on 2007-04-30.

^ Bush, Jeb (2005-01-19). Dear Colonel Day (jpg). letter. thedemocraticdaily.com. Retrieved on 2007-04-30.

^ Democracy 21, et al (2004-08-10). Complaint against Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT) (pdf). complaint. FEC. Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ "Campaign watchdog groups file complaint over anti-Kerry ad", USA Today, 2004-08-10. Retrieved on 2007-04-02.

^ Kerry-Edwards 2004 (2004-08-23). Complaint against SBVT, President George W. Bush, etc. (pdf). complaint. FEC. Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ "Kerry files FEC complaint against swift boat group", CNN, 2004-08-21. Retrieved on 2007-04-02.

^ "The Note", ABC News, 2004-08-23. Retrieved on 2007-04-02.

^ "Swift Boats and the Texas Nexus", NY Times, 2004-08-25. Retrieved on 2008-03-28.

^ a b Federal Election Commission (2006-12-13). Conciliation Agreement - MURs 5511 and 5525 (pdf). ruling. FEC. Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ Federal Election Commission (2006-12-13). "FEC collects $630,000 in civil penalties from three 527 organizations". Press release. Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ Frequently Asked Questions. self-published. Swift Vets and POWs for Truth (2004-06-30). Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ Scarborough, Rowan. "Records indicate Kerry did his duty", Washington Times, 2004-10-18. Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ You saw them here first. blog. Powerline (2005-06-20). Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ Gerstein, Josh. "Kerry Grants Three Reporters Broad Access to Navy Records", NY Sun, 2005-06-21. Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ Kranish, Michael. "Kerry allows Navy release of military, medical records", Boston Globe, 2005-06-07. Retrieved on 2007-04-03.

^ Braun, Stephen. "Kerry Makes His Military, Medical File Available", LA Times, 2005-06-08, pp. A17. Retrieved on 2007-04-04.

^ http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=35271

^ a b Admiral Roy F. Hoffmann Foundation. pub info retrieval. Retrieved on 2008-05-30.

^ a b Admiral Roy Hoffman Foundation Tax Exempt/NonProfit Organization Information. pub info retrieval. Taxexemptworld.com. Retrieved on 2007-04-08.

^ Swift Boat Vets and POWs for Truth (2006-03-31). Form 8872 2006 First Quarterly Report (pdf). IRS. Retrieved on 2007-04-04.

^ Swift Boat Contributions Floated To Foundations, Disney Resort. blog. Wisconsin Democracy Campaign (2006-04-20). Retrieved on 2007-04-04.

^ Johnson, Dave (2006-07-17). The Swiftboaters Are Back in the Water. Huffington Post. Retrieved on 2007-04-04.

^ Kesler, Bruce (2006-07-17). Kerry “Patriot Project” Punks. blog. Democracy-project.com. Retrieved on 2007-04-04.

^ "The Swift Boating of Cindy Sheehan" Editorial by Frank Rich, August 21, 2005 New York Times

^ McMichael, William H.. "Former SEAL wages campaign to defeat Murtha", Army Times, 2006-08-14. Retrieved on 2007-03-30.

[edit] External links

[edit] SBVT and Kerry websites

SBVT advertisement archive

"John Kerry in Vietnam"

"John Kerry Military Records"

[edit] Firsthand accounts

Jim Rassmann account from The Wall Street Journal.

Jim Rassmann, Larry Thurlow Bronze Star, Third Purple Heart, Judy Woodruff, CNN Transcript

William Rood account from The Chicago Tribune.

Peter N. Upton self-published transcription, Silver Star, Hartford Courant, July 25, 2004 - see also partial archive Peter N. Upton

Jim Russell Letter to the Editor, Telluride Daily Planet.

William Schachte First Purple Heart (National Review)

William Schatche interview with NBC News.

William Zaladonis interview with NBC News.

Larry Lee account, Silver Star incident, The Courier-Journal

Jerry Leeds - Silver Star, Print Solutions Article, November 2004 (Google cache retrieved April 4, 2008)

Charles R. Gibson account, Silver Star, Springfield Republican, September 5, 2004

Robert Lambert account, Bronze Star, Mail Tribune

Robert Lambert account, Bronze Star, Associated Press via MSNBC

Rich Baker interview, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Van Odell - account, Bronze Star, Dean Esmay

Del Sandusky - Van O'Dell Bronze Star, Purple Heart Number 3, WTWB, Lynne Breidenbach

George Elliott- Silver Star, Third Purple Heart, Dean Esmay

Steve Gardner "Sampan Incident", "Christmas in Cambodia", Dean Esmay

Thomas Wright Third Purple Heart, Kevin McCullough, World Net Daily Audio Excerpt

Grant Hibbard - First Purple Heart, Affidavit, FactCheck.org

[edit] News articles about SBVT

"Swift Boat Veterans Condemn Kerry as Unfit to Command" May 4, 2004 — NewsMax.com

"Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Call on John Kerry to Stop Unauthorized Use of Photo" May 17, 2004 — PRNewswire

"Group's ad says Kerry lied" August 5, 2004 — USA Today

"Can Voters See Through Sham Ads?" August 6, 2004 — CBSNews.com

"Records Counter A Critic Of Kerry; Fellow Skipper's Citation Refers To Enemy Fire" August 18, 2004 — Washington Post

"Fog of war, partisanship cloud Kerry's Vietnam record" August 19, 2004 — USA Today

"Kerry comrades have credibility on their side" August 20, 2004 — Boston Globe

"Kerry Says Group Is a Front For Bush" August 20, 2004 — Washington Post (Staff Writers)

"Friendly Fire: The Birth of an Anti-Kerry Ad" August 20, 2004 — New York Times

"Swift Boat Accounts Incomplete" August 22, 2004 — Washington Post

"Bush calls for halt to Swift Boat veterans’ ads" August 23, 2004 — MSNBC

"Campaign Journalists: Has Swift Boat Story Gone on Too Long?" August 24, 2004 - Editor and Publisher

"Swift Boat Writer Lied on Cambodia Claim" August 25, 2004 — Associated Press

"The Political Guns Of August Are Firing" August 28, 2004 - Washington Post

"Ex-President Bush Calls Charges of Swift Boat Group Compelling" August 30, 2004. — New York Times

"A very Kerry Christmas" August 30, 2004; U.S.News and World Report

"Kerry crewman slams claims of swift boat vets" August 31, 2004. Lansing State Journal - (Pay-for-view archive retrieved April 4, 2008)

"Raw Data: Swift Boat Veterans' Letter to Kerry"August 31, 2004 - AP via Fox News

"Two Anti-Kerry Vets Tapped for VA Panel" September 3, 2004, Associated Press

"Kerry Furious With Cahill Over Not Attacking Swift Boat Ads Sooner" September 5, 2004 — Newsweek (reposted)

"Swift Boat Vets, Texans Battle for 'Truth'" Adweek.com - September 23, 2004

"Did Kerry write own report of disputed clash? " Chicago Sun-Times - October 1, 2004

"Unfriendly Fire" Story on Roy Hoffmann, October 2, 2004 Washington Post

[edit] Editorial and opinion

"The Un-Kerry" May 3, 2004 - National Review

"Let The Veterans Speak" August 6, 2004 - New York Sun

"Kerry's SWIFT meltdown" August 11, 2004 - Hugh Hewitt - WorldNetDaily.com

"Swift Boat Smears" August 12, 2004, Washington Post

"Politics as Usual" August 19, 2004, New York Times

"Smear by veterans may hurt Bush" August 22, 2004 - Thomas Oliphant column in the Boston Globe

"Kerry Camp Ignores Facts, Attacks Swiftees" August 24, 2004 - David Limbaugh column in Human Events Online.

"Swift Boat Sniping" August 24, 2004, Washington Post

"Conflicting war stories" August 24, 2004, St. Petersburg Times

"Kerry's Cambodia Whopper" August 24, 2004; Washington Post

"Swift Boats and the Texas Nexus" August 25, 2004, New York Times

"Bush's dirty work" August 25, 2004, Boston Globe

"Survey of recent editorials"August 25, 2004, Media Matters for America

"Nine more editorials" August 26, 2004, Media Matters for America

"Swift Boat Interview" August 27, 2004 - Robert Novak interviews Retired Rear Adm. William L. Schachte Jr.

"Swift Surge for Bush"August 30, 2004 Larry Kudlow - National Review Online

"Call For Investigation Of Conduct By Swift Boat Veterans For Truth In Vietnam" August 31, 2004 — Independent Media TV.

"How 'Swift boat' book defames Kerry" September 1, 2004 - John Dean in CNN.com

"Media double standard clear in coverage of Swift Boat ads" September 2, 2004 — Benjamin L. Ginsberg, Washington Post

"Swift boat vets prove devastating" September 3, 2004 — Richard Medley - Business Day, NZ

"The Swift Boat saga" September 5, 2004 — Ann Coulter via PittsburghLive.com

"Why has it taken 30 years to correct this so-called mistake?" September 5, 2004 — Daniel J. Houton in the Boston Globe.

"Question integrity of vets attacking Kerry" September 6, 2004 - Albert M. Forget in the Seattle Post Intelligencer.

Kerry's Vietnam ghosts won't go away October 24, 2004 - Robert J. Caldwell in The San Diego Union-Tribune

"Cheap At The Price" November 4, 2004 - New York Sun

"The Swiftboaters Are Back in the Water" July 17, 2006 - Dave Johnson, Huffington Post

[edit] Other

Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record August 22, 2004 - FactCheck.org analysis

John O'Neill's campaign contribution history

"Web of Connections" - Chart of SBVT and ties to Bush campaign [PDF]

"Swift Boat Veterans for 'Truth' v. The Truth" Eriposte analysis

"Who is Jerome Corsi, co-author of Swift Boat Vets attack book?" — Investigation by Media Matters for America

"Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" - SourceWatch article

Truth and Unfit for Command - a detailed analysis, with links to documentation

CSPAN Search - Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Press Conference – May 4, 2004

Harvard MBAs for Truth – A parody of the SBVFT, with slight Republican bias.

CSPAN Search - C-Span Phone Interview - Larry Thurlow, Member, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth

"Former Gardner Employer Responds to 11/29/04 Chicago Sun-Times Article"

"Transcript" January 30, 2005; Meet The Press

Swift Boat Veteran Affidavits

After Action Reports and other original Navy documentation for the disputed medals.

The Truth (with Jokes) novel by Al Fraken has an explanatory chapter of this whole Swift Boat affair.

[edit] Further reading

O'Neill, John and Jerome Corsi, Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry, Regnery Publishing, 2004. ISBN 0-89526-017-4

Grandin, Greg The Swift Boating of America

[hide]v • d • eJohn Kerry

Career Military career · 2004 campaign · VP selection process · Iraq policy · Kerry-Feingold Amendment · Sponsored legislation

Elections Senate election, 1984 · Senate election, 1990 · Senate election, 1996 · Senate election, 2002 · United States presidential election, 2004

Family Forbes family · Dudley–Winthrop family · Teresa Heinz · Julia Thorne · Alexandra Kerry · Vanessa Kerry · Rosemary Forbes Kerry · Cameron Kerry

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swift_Vets_and_POWs_for_Truth"

Categories: Conservative organizations in the United States | John Kerry | Politics of the United States | Regnery Publishing | United States presidential election, 2004 | 527 groups

Hidden categories: All articles with unsourced statements | Articles with unsourced statements since April 2007ViewsArticle Discussion Edit this page History Personal toolsLog in / create account Navigation

Main Page

Contents

Featured content

Current events

Random article

Interaction

About Wikipedia

Community portal

Recent changes

Contact Wikipedia

Donate to Wikipedia

Help

Search

Toolbox

What links here

Related changes

Upload file

Special pages

Printable version

Permanent link

Cite this page

Languages

Deutsch

Svenska

This page was last modified on 30 June 2008, at 17:56. All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. (See Copyrights for details.)

Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a U.S. registered 501©(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity.

Privacy policy About Wikipedia Disclaimers Learn more about using Wikipedia for research.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth)

Jump to: navigation, search

Swift Vets and POWs for Truth official logoSwift Vets and POWs for Truth, formerly known as the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT), is a political group (527 group) of American Swift boat veterans and former prisoners of war of the Vietnam War, formed during the 2004 presidential election campaign for the purpose of opposing John Kerry's candidacy for the presidency.

Contents [hide]

1 Background

2 Membership

3 Media activities

3.1 First television advertisement

3.2 Second television advertisement

3.3 Third television advertisement

3.4 Fourth television advertisement

3.5 Book

4 Controversy

4.1 Truth of allegations

4.2 Connections with Republicans

4.3 Connections with the Bush campaign

4.4 FEC Filings

4.5 Disclosure of documents

5 Relationship to Admiral Roy F. Hoffmann Foundation

6 "Swift Boating"

7 See also

8 References

9 External links

9.1 SBVT and Kerry websites

9.2 Firsthand accounts

9.3 News articles about SBVT

9.4 Editorial and opinion

9.5 Other

10 Further reading

[edit] Background

SBVT asserted that Kerry was "unfit to serve" as President based upon his alleged "willful distortion of the conduct" of American servicemen during that war, and his alleged "withholding and/or distortion of material facts" as to his own conduct during that war.[1] This claim caused tremendous controversy during the election, particularly because some perceived the veterans as partisans who had not been in a place to assess Kerry,[2] while several other Vietnam veterans who served alongside Kerry or under his command disputed the criticisms and supported Kerry in his presidential aspirations.[3][4]

SBVT stated that "Kerry's phony war crimes charges, his exaggerated claims about his own service in Vietnam, and his deliberate misrepresentation of the nature and effectiveness of Swift boat operations compel us to step forward."[5] The group challenged the legitimacy of each of the combat medals awarded to Kerry by the U.S. Navy, and the disposition of his discharge. (See John Kerry military service controversy.) Further, SBVT said that Kerry's later criticism of the war was a "betrayal of trust" with other soldiers, and that by his activism he had caused direct "harm" to soldiers still at war. (See John Kerry VVAW controversy.)

SBVT, registered under Section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code, publicized its criticisms of Kerry during the election campaign in a book, in television advertisements that the group ran in swing states, and in the media coverage some members received. The group was the subject of several complaints to the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

After the election, the group was credited by some media and praised by conservatives as contributing to Kerry's defeat[6] while critics consider the group an example of a successful political smear campaign.[7]

[edit] Membership

SBVT was formed in 2004. Membership was initially limited to veterans of the Vietnam War who at some point served in a Swift boat unit, as did Kerry.

Of the 3,500 Swift boat sailors who served in Vietnam, the names of some 250 appeared on the group's statement against Kerry; most did not serve at the same time or in the same place as Kerry.[8][9][10] Founding members of SBVT include Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann (retired), a former commander of Swift boat forces; Houston attorney John O'Neill, an officer who became commander of Swift Boat PCF 94 several months after Kerry's departure in 1969 and who appeared opposite Kerry in a televised 1971 debate between them on The Dick Cavett Show; and 13 other named veterans. Several of those who joined SBVT during the 2004 campaign were officers who had previously praised Kerry's conduct during the Vietnam War. These included Division Commander Grant Hibbard, who wrote positive evaluations of Kerry, and Commander George Elliott, who submitted Kerry for a Silver Star. SBVT counts, in total, 16 officers who served with Kerry in Coastal Division 11 as members.[11] Despite SBVT's statements that Kerry's "entire chain of command" belonged to the group,[12] Joseph Streuli, former commander of Coastal Division 13, Charles Horne, former commander of Coastal Squadron 1, and Art Price, former commander CTF 116 who is described in Unfit for Command as part of Kerry's chain of command, are not affiliated with the group.

The group's initial letter against Kerry stated "It is our collective judgment that, upon your return from Vietnam, you grossly and knowingly distorted the conduct of the American soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen of that war (including a betrayal of many of us, without regard for the danger your actions caused us). Further, we believe that you have withheld and/or distorted material facts as to your own conduct in this

He did say McCain's military experience, which he explicitly honored, does not necessarily mean that he has the best judgement to be CIC.

What's more, if McCain had ran with Kerry as VP in 2004, you'd be attacking him and diminishing his service. You only respect the service of those with whom you agree politically.

That's Bull s*** and you know it. Clark absolutley dismissed McCain's torture and imprisonment, he never 'honored' McCain, and said virtually nothing he did in his whole career merrited consideration to the Chief Execuitive. Furthermore, McCain never faked tossing his medals over the White House wall, never lied to the Senate committee about what his fellow service men did , " in a fashion remeniscent of Gengis Khan " ...it's you who lives in the alternate universe.

You only respect the service of those with whom you agree politically. Sounds like you , to a T.

Dang, who taught him how to cut and paste. :o

Further, we believe that you have withheld and/or distorted material facts as to your own conduct in this war."[13] However, Kerry had posted over 100 pages of his military records at his website nearly two weeks before the issuance

For the record, to date, John Kerry still has not released his service record. Not that it matters, just to be accurate.

Learn more about using Wikipedia for research.

Yeah Wikipedia is always correct and never wrong is it?

That's Bull s*** and you know it. Clark absolutley dismissed McCain's torture and imprisonment, he never 'honored' McCain, and said virtually nothing he did in his whole career merrited consideration to the Chief Execuitive. Furthermore, McCain never faked tossing his medals over the White House wall, never lied to the Senate committee about what his fellow service men did , " in a fashion remeniscent of Gengis Khan " ...it's you who lives in the alternate universe.

You only respect the service of those with whom you agree politically. Sounds like you , to a T.

You are truly psycho. :ucrazy::ucrazy:

Obama has frequently spoken of McCain's military record, but the campaign is making a point of it today in light of Clark's comments on Face the Nation (and similar remarks in recent weeks on Morning Joe) that "I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president".

Earlier today, on Morning Joe, Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs distanced the campaign from Gen. Clark's remarks.

*** UPDATE *** Here's a statement from Obama spokesman Bill Burton on Wes Clark's controversial comments about McCain's military service. "As he's said many times before, Senator Obama honors and respects Senator McCain's service, and of course he rejects yesterday's statement by General Clark."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/200...30/1175471.aspx

Call me cynical, but I think Clark's remarks were planned just so it could look as if Obama is walking the high road.

If you're cynical, you're not alone, since I had the same thought.

First of all, if being a POW and a decorated combat veteran doesn't GREATLY ADD to your presidential resume, then we've lost focus as a country in terms of picking our leaders.

Secondly, it's one thing to say being a POW a president does not make. But to argue that in regards to a guy who's got as much experience as McCain...while you're supporting a guy who's got about 8 mins more experience than I do...is lunacy.

What are Obama's credentials? What does he bring to the table? What has he accomplished?

You can't lead a country armed with only slogans and hyperbole.

McCain was elected to the house in 82, senate in 86.

Obama has been a US senator since 2004.

Who's more qualified?

First of all, if being a POW and a decorated combat veteran doesn't GREATLY ADD to your presidential resume, then we've lost focus as a country in terms of picking our leaders.

John Kerry was a decorated combat veteran. George W. Bush failed to live up to his military obligations. Which one did you vote for?

John Kerry was a decorated combat veteran. George W. Bush failed to live up to his military obligations. Which one did you vote for?

If you'd like to compare Kerry's service to McCain's go right ahead. You would be foolish to do so.

But secondly, I'm not saying it's the only barometer for competence. Though Kerry's military service would be the only positive he had going for him. I wasn't one saying "getting a bunch of purple hearts doesn't qualify you to be president"...his lack of qualifications came from many other areas.

If you'd like to compare Kerry's service to McCain's go right ahead. You would be foolish to do so.

But secondly, I'm not saying it's the only barometer for competence. Though Kerry's military service would be the only positive he had going for him. I wasn't one saying "getting a bunch of purple hearts doesn't qualify you to be president"...his lack of qualifications came from many other areas.

Silver Star and Bronze Star-- and try to keep up-- No one is comparing Kerry to McCain.

But if you want to cross reference elections, let's compare Obama to Bush.

In 2004 you voted for a man who grew up in privilege, was a drunk until he was forty and had accomplished nothing on his own. Anyone voting for Shrub twice is really in no place to look down their nose at anyone else's choice of a candidate.

I respect McCain's service and sacrifice. But the more I know about him, the less he impresses. If you really scrutinize him, you will realize how little he knows about most things.

If you really scrutinize him, you will realize how little he knows about most things.

Exactly what could be said about Barack Obama.

You are truly psycho. :ucrazy::ucrazy:

A popular opinion, but it doesn't make what I say less accurate either.

Silver Star and Bronze Star-- and try to keep up-- No one is comparing Kerry to McCain.

But if you want to cross reference elections, let's compare Obama to Bush.

In 2004 you voted for a man who grew up in privilege, was a drunk until he was forty and had accomplished nothing on his own. Anyone voting for Shrub twice is really in no place to look down their nose at anyone else's choice of a candidate.

I respect McCain's service and sacrifice. But the more I know about him, the less he impresses. If you really scrutinize him, you will realize how little he knows about most things.

I voted for the person who best represented my stance on major issues as they relate to both policy and moral issues. If I had to choose between Kerry and GWB again, I'd still vote the same way. Again, I don't understand why you liberals think it should be so easy for people to cast aside their convictions and vote for somebody who believes in the opposite of what they do.

Had accomplished nothing on his own? He did a pretty good job in Texas before he got into office. And his first term approval ratings were pretty good if I remember correctly.

BamaGrad......they will never understand why people actually think for themselves based on CONVICTION and MORALITY. It's a lost cause.

Obama could commit a muck of crime, and still be defended by the liberal left. It's a big, glaring difference between the two parties.

Now, the far right can be just as crazy, but the majority of the country leans just to the right of center......at least they have the last 20 years or more.

Archived