Bama Insiders Getting Worried

Proud Tiger

I ran into a friend yesterday who is a former star FB player at bama and a huge bama supporter. He is a pillar in the RE Club and has access to the inner circle at UAT. I kind of jokingly brought up the recent JJ incident. He got real serious and said he and others were really getting worried about the situation. They are worried that Saban isn't going to be able to produce the kind of program they thought he would and fully realize the consequences they face if he doesn't. This is the first time I've heard a bama person openly and honestly express this concern. It's going to be interesting to watch this "process" play out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's this? Do I see some cracks in the armor? It won't take too much bickering over there to make Saban take his ball and go home. I think that is one reason the Bama nation has gone to such lengths to give Saban a pass on this. They know what a loose cannon he is. If he starts getting second guessed by the inner circle he will leave in a heartbeat.

IMO, I really don't see the big deal. Yes, cocaine is a major drug. But come on - it is one athlete on the team. Could other players on the team be using the stuff - it's possible. But only one kid was arrested for dealing the stuff. I know 10 kids have been arrested since he's gotten here, but most of it has been pretty low except for this.

That said, I don't see this being a big problem for Alabama unless it turned out to be that many players were involved. If it is only one - hell, sometimes these things happen. Honestly, what is the big difference between dealing pot and coke? You still get arrested and you still get kicked off the team most likely.

I say he has "lost control" once many players gets in some sort of scandal (similar to the text book scandal) regarding drugs and stuff like that. I really don't see one athlete being a big difference. Saban doesn't have to worry about JJ anymore. He can worry about his current players. Now if they were to get in trouble with a similar situation, then we can talk.

I DO see it as a big deal. Not so much the selling cocaine part, although yes, that is awful. But the arrests, themselves, no matter what they are for. They are arrests, and there have been 10. That's way too many. One or two, most teams will have that. You can't really blame a coach for that. That is just an unfortunate thing that happens all too much. But when it gets to be a large number of arrests, well, there has to be a problem at the top. And the top here would be $aban.

IMO, I really don't see the big deal. Yes, cocaine is a major drug. But come on - it is one athlete on the team. Could other players on the team be using the stuff - it's possible. But only one kid was arrested for dealing the stuff. I know 10 kids have been arrested since he's gotten here, but most of it has been pretty low except for this.

That said, I don't see this being a big problem for Alabama unless it turned out to be that many players were involved. If it is only one - hell, sometimes these things happen. Honestly, what is the big difference between dealing pot and coke? You still get arrested and you still get kicked off the team most likely.

I say he has "lost control" once many players gets in some sort of scandal (similar to the text book scandal) regarding drugs and stuff like that. I really don't see one athlete being a big difference. Saban doesn't have to worry about JJ anymore. He can worry about his current players. Now if they were to get in trouble with a similar situation, then we can talk.

I would normally agree with you, but the fact that one of the times he sold was literally right outside of the Athletic Complex is what raises my eyebrows.

I don't think Saban has lost control, but I don't think JJ was the only person on the team dealing either.

I would normally agree with you, but the fact that one of the times he sold was literally right outside of the Athletic Complex is what raises my eyebrows.

I don't think Saban has lost control, but I don't think JJ was the only person on the team dealing either.

And I would have to add that from my experience that if one out of a group of peers is dealing/using, some of the others most likely are too. Now he may never hang out with any of the guys on the team except for practice, but I would find that unlikely.

Even if JJ was the only one selling or using any drug whatsoever, it still is an indicator of a huge problem within the program.

First of all, remember that you are talking about a man that lifted DJ Hall's 1-game suspension at half-time because they were losing.

Keep that in mind and realize that a cocaine dealer is the TIP of the iceberg as far as misbehavior goes. Thousands upon thousands of other mis-deeds had to have happened "below" the tip of the iceberg in order for that program to have a cocaine dealer in it. And only then under certain circumstances would a football program yield a cocaine dealer.

Understand, I am not saying the program caused him to sell cocaine, only that it allowed him to sell cocaine and still be in the program.

10 arrests in the past year.

And bammers will still excuse all of this if they have a winning season, and ESPECIALLY if they beat Auburn.

A 7-6 season coupled with a cocaine dealer means the end is near, huh?

People like your friend, PT, are the ones that give us the reputation of being terribly impatient. Either he isn't getting his seat at the table or just likes to whine. Either way, I think he's way off base.

I might lay a wager on the guy who made that comment. He play offensive line, by chance?

I think I'm going to agree with the majority here: The reason there is cause for concern is because people were not really SHOCKED this happened. Has any bama fan said I can't believe this happended? No, everyone has said, "oh no not again, and this is the worst yet." If it happened to Auburn, people would be absolutely shocked. Its like if this happened at FSU, everyone would just say, well there's a freakin surprise.

Yeah, I actually do think the end is near for Saban. Another 7-win season, a few more arrests and another loss to Auburn, and the writing is on the wall for sure.

Was your friend shedding tears when he spoke with you? That would make it much better if he were.

My feelings--which have pretty much been stated by others:

One or two players--undesirable, but no reason to panic. 10 arrests in a year--serious problem.

To me it's not so much the severity of the charges, but the quantity. I think ten being charged is likely a good indicator of numerous more on the team with similarly destructive attitudes.

Also, if PT's source is a "pillar in the RE Club", he's probably privy to more inside information than we are. ...And if Saban's players aren't particularly concerned about the rules, perhaps they fear Nick may be bending a few himself?

For me, the great thing is that unless Saban voluntarily leaves--or is fired for NCAA violations, moral turpitude, or something extreme like that--they're stuck owing him the rest of his long-term $$$$$ contract if they want to dump him! :lol:

A 7-6 season coupled with a cocaine dealer means the end is near, huh?

People like your friend, PT, are the ones that give us the reputation of being terribly impatient. Either he isn't getting his seat at the table or just likes to whine. Either way, I think he's way off base.

I might lay a wager on the guy who made that comment. He play offensive line, by chance?

No, the end is not near. But, if Saban does not live up to the ridiculously high expectations Alabama fans have for him on the field in the next few years, then things will get ugly and Alabama will have no where to turn having already sold their soul for Saban.

For me, the great thing is that unless Saban voluntarily leaves--or is fired for NCAA violations, moral turpitude, or something extreme like that--they're stuck owing him the rest of his long-term $$$$$ contract if they want to dump him!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there no buyout? Meaning either can part ways for nothing?

For me, the great thing is that unless Saban voluntarily leaves--or is fired for NCAA violations, moral turpitude, or something extreme like that--they're stuck owing him the rest of his long-term $$$$$ contract if they want to dump him!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there no buyout? Meaning either can part ways for nothing?

My understanding/recollection is that the no buyout is only if Saban decides to leave; if fired, he collects.

My understanding/recollection is that the no buyout is only if Saban decides to leave; if fired, he collects.

if fired for cause, he gets nothing.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/resource...an-contract.pdf

Why does this keep coming up? The majority of the Alabama fans(and not the ones that post on here) are not upset in anyway with Coach Saban, and he knows this. We have no intention of firing him, and he has no plans for leaving. He knows that we support him, and we show it by showing up for games and any function for which he is a part. The only ones that even mention that he should leave are Auburn fans.

You don't want to admit it, but you would seriously like for this to happen. You are not afraid of him, but you do fear the unknown, and you don't know what he will be able to accomplish before he is finished here.

Georgia had 2 more arrests this week, and I think that brings their total to 6 or 7 this year, but no one on here is calling for Mark Richt's head.

Auburn fans really should just be concerned with their own program, and let all the other schools handle their business. The only time that Auburn is important to us is one day a year. If you beat us, life will go on, and Bama fans will remain Bama fans, so it really in the broad scheme of things won't change a thing.

If Bama wins, life will go on, and that's the last time we have to worry about Auburn for another year.

Why does this keep coming up? The majority of the Alabama fans(and not the ones that post on here) are not upset in anyway with Coach Saban, and he knows this. We have no intention of firing him, and he has no plans for leaving. He knows that we support him, and we show it by showing up for games and any function for which he is a part. The only ones that even mention that he should leave are Auburn fans.

You don't want to admit it, but you would seriously like for this to happen. You are not afraid of him, but you do fear the unknown, and you don't know what he will be able to accomplish before he is finished here.

Georgia had 2 more arrests this week, and I think that brings their total to 6 or 7 this year, but no one on here is calling for Mark Richt's head.

Auburn fans really should just be concerned with their own program, and let all the other schools handle their business. The only time that Auburn is important to us is one day a year. If you beat us, life will go on, and Bama fans will remain Bama fans, so it really in the broad scheme of things won't change a thing.

If Bama wins, life will go on, and that's the last time we have to worry about Auburn for another year.

:roflol::roflol:

this coming frm a uat fan on an AUBURN board. uat is our most hated rival, so expect us to talk about things going on at uat. You must live in a large state of delusion and denial if you think uat fans only worry about auburn once a year. That's the biggest pile of crap i've ever heard. Sorry but no, we aren't afraid of your latest 5th choice, not now, not for the future, not ever. He's no different than any of the others. I'd like to know how a uat fan could possibly know we "fear the unknown" as you put it. You couldn't possibly have any insight to this whatsoever, therefore, take your own advice and worry about your own program and how many players continue to get arrested. I assure you, uat has TONS more issues with their program than we have with ours.

You can downplay your interest in all things Auburn all you want. You guys sold out to the guy to come in and beat AU. He said that when he got there. He was brought in to beat AU.

Stop acting as if Tuscaloosa is the football mecca and you guys are above being discussed. Its a circus over there right now. Of course people are going to talk about it.

Why does this keep coming up? The majority of the Alabama fans (and not the ones that post on here) are not upset in anyway with Coach Saban, and he knows this because we will overlook anything he does as long as he beats Auburn. We have no intention of firing him, and he has no plans for leaving until he beats Auburn. He knows that we support him, and we show it by showing up for games and any function for which he is a part. The only ones that even mention that he should leave are Auburn fans because all we care about is beating Auburn.

You don't want to admit it, but you would seriously like for this to happen. (Actually, no. I am glad that your team spends as much time in the slammer as on the practice field). You are not afraid of him, but you do fear the unknown, and you don't know what he will be able to accomplish before he is finished here (you want to say "you know he's going to beat Auburn if he stays long enough" because that's what he was hired to do).

Georgia had 2 more arrests this week, and I think that brings their total to 6 or 7 this year, but no one on here is calling for Mark Richt's head because he is not 22-23 in his last 3 seasons and he has not had a 5-count cocaine distribution arrest yet.

Auburn fans really should just be concerned with their own program, and let all the other schools handle their business. The only time that Auburn is important to us is one day a year, today. If you beat us again, life will go on again, and Bama fans will remain Bama fans and run their mouth nonstop, so it really in the broad scheme of things won't change a thing until we beat Auburn and then all hell will break loose.

If Bama wins you will never hear the end of it, life will go on, and that's the last time we have to worry about Auburn for another year.

Above post corrected.

Okay, having read the contract, I'm still confused. Guess it depends on what the definition of "cause" is.

As I understood it, there is no buyout on either side. If Saban was fired for something major--NCAA violations, moral turpitude (like sleeping with his secretary or entertaining strippers in his hotel room--not that those things could ever happen :rolleyes: )--the University owed him nothing. But if fired merely because he was winning enough, his players were running amok off the field, or he PO'd one too many Red Elephants, then he could collect on all remaining years of his contract. (Sort of like Shula)

Reading the actual contract didn't really clarify anything for me, but the latter is what I'd love to see--he doesn't win anything but Fulmer Cups and "recruiting championships" and they consider it worth the $Millions just to dump him!

Why does this keep coming up? The majority of the Alabama fans (and not the ones that post on here) are not upset in anyway with Coach Saban, and he knows this because we will overlook anything he does as long as he beats Auburn. We have no intention of firing him, and he has no plans for leaving until he beats Auburn. He knows that we support him, and we show it by showing up for games and any function for which he is a part. The only ones that even mention that he should leave are Auburn fans because all we care about is beating Auburn.

You don't want to admit it, but you would seriously like for this to happen. (Actually, no. I am glad that your team spends as much time in the slammer as on the practice field). You are not afraid of him, but you do fear the unknown, and you don't know what he will be able to accomplish before he is finished here (you want to say "you know he's going to beat Auburn if he stays long enough" because that's what he was hired to do).

Georgia had 2 more arrests this week, and I think that brings their total to 6 or 7 this year, but no one on here is calling for Mark Richt's head because he is not 22-23 in his last 3 seasons and he has not had a 5-count cocaine distribution arrest yet.

Auburn fans really should just be concerned with their own program, and let all the other schools handle their business. The only time that Auburn is important to us is one day a year, today. If you beat us again, life will go on again, and Bama fans will remain Bama fans and run their mouth nonstop, so it really in the broad scheme of things won't change a thing until we beat Auburn and then all hell will break loose.

If Bama wins you will never hear the end of it, life will go on, and that's the last time we have to worry about Auburn for another year.

Above post corrected.

Just for a little background. Were you guys treated like this when we had a winning streak against you of 9?

Did Coach Bryant walk around with 9 fingers in the air? You say you own us. When did you get to buy your freedom back? After 9 wins, I would think that we pretty much owned you. Just remember what goes around comes around, and you may be talking a little too strong.

Just for a little background. Were you guys treated like this when we had a winning streak against you of 9?

Did Coach Bryant walk around with 9 fingers in the air? You say you own us. When did you get to buy your freedom back? After 9 wins, I would think that we pretty much owned you. Just remember what goes around comes around, and you may be talking a little too strong.

Did you ever think that maybe THIS IS the "coming around"?

;)

Just for a little background. Were you guys treated like this when we had a winning streak against you of 9?--you are damn right we were. Why do you think those of us who lived thru it hate all things bama?

Did Coach Bryant walk around with 9 fingers in the air?--no he just said things like "the cow college will never beat us again." I have never heard Tubs say anything negative about bama other than it is a great rivalry.

You say you own us. When did you get to buy your freedom back? After 9 wins, I would think that we pretty much owned you. Just remember what goes around comes around, and you may be talking a little too strong.--I agree you owned us then, just like we own you now. And your brethren made sure we knew it every day. And you are now experiencing the very thing you talk about. It has come around....FOR YOU!!!!

A 7-6 season coupled with a cocaine dealer means the end is near, huh?---did I say that? No and neither did my friend. It is only one peg in the bigger picture of things, including the fact that may athletic employees strongly dislike Saban.

People like your friend, PT, are the ones that give us the reputation of being terribly impatient. Either he isn't getting his seat at the table or just likes to whine.-- there is another possibility....he is just being truthful.

Either way, I think he's way off base.--hey he is one of yours and I will take his insight over yours anyday unless you can establish some credible credentials even close to his. If you don't respect your own brothers, so be it.

I might lay a wager on the guy who made that comment. He play offensive line, by chance?--You are basing your guess on the assumption I ran into him in Huntsville and that he lives in Huntsville. I didn't say either one.

Archived