Rivalry Games

jaydubb121

I notice that around the country a lot of schools (Missouri-Illinois, Colorado-Colorado State, Louisville-Kentucky, etc.) play their rival games at the beginning of the season. How do you think that would affect the Auburn-Alabama rivalry if we kicked off every season with that game. Discuss.......

Small aside: Missouri's archrival is Kansas. Illinois and Missouri have only played 21 times and only about 6-7 times in the last 25 years.

It also makes a little difference that none of those three games you listed are conference games.

As to your question, I would in no way, size, shape or form want to play our archrival in the opening game of the year. For one, I've never liked leading off the season with a conference game. Two, the buildup to the game is part of what makes it fun and if one or both teams is having a really good season, then it adds that much more.

Agreed. The buildup is huge. Starting the season with Bama just wouldn't do it for me. I need that hate to build and build and explode at the end of the season.

For me, if the Ironbowl were the first game of the season, the rest of the season would be somewhat anticlimactic. For the loser, in particular (so this is more of a Bama problem these days :big::poke: ), the season would be spoiled before it even got started good.

Maybe for the schools it gives them something to talk about in the offseason. For SEC fans, there is no offseason, nothing would be gained.

Archived