Petey Smith

runswithscissors

in a recent Rivals interview, Smith said that Alabama is a little bit ahead of AU right now and likes the 3-4 defense Alabama runs. however, AU is of course not out of the picture at all. he said Alabama has come on very strong recently and he really likes what UA has to say, the coaches, and the facilities. seems to be a fairly big shift, all i've heard from anybody here is Smith is 100% AU bound. thoughts?

I like what I am hearing but I seriously doubt he ditches the school where his brother is in for its most rival... does not make any sense to me and I do not see it happening..

Nothing to the Rivals article, done by Andrew Bone, Petey just wants the free Iron Bowl tickets, IMO. Also, he's coming to Auburn on a official visit for the AU-UGA game, then he's going to the AU-uat game. Common Denominator is AU. Plus, I've heard from someone that spoke to Petey, that he doesn't have a "New Leader", but that uat and Coach $ is recruiting him really, really hard (desperate?).

uat "Surging Ahead"....seems like a nice ploy to make it look like they're on a roll.

So, rws, how can y'all bring in more than the 15 that have already commited, since y'all only have 9 Scholarship Seniors graduating? Wasn't uat close to the 85 Limit after last year's class qualified?

Here's a piece of an article written yesterday on Auburn Undercover:

“Auburn and Alabama are still my top two schools; they are neck and neck,” Smith said. “I just like that both of them are college towns, everybody loves football and everybody loves the colleges. They are two good SEC football programs and they both have solid academics as well"

Nothing to the Rivals article, done by Andrew Bone, Petey just wants the free Iron Bowl tickets, IMO. Also, he's coming to Auburn on a official visit for the AU-UGA game, then he's going to the AU-uat game. Common Denominator is AU. Plus, I've heard from someone that spoke to Petey, that he doesn't have a "New Leader", but that uat and Coach $ is recruiting him really, really hard (desperate?).

uat "Surging Ahead"....seems like a nice ploy to make it look like they're on a roll.

So, rws, how can y'all bring in more than the 15 that have already commited, since y'all only have 9 Scholarship Seniors graduating? Wasn't uat close to the 85 Limit after last year's class qualified?

“Auburn and Alabama are still my top two schools; they are neck and neck,” Smith said. “I just like that both of them are college towns, everybody loves football and everybody loves the colleges. They are two good SEC football programs and they both have solid academics as well"

the Rivals article was not done by Andrew Bone. the "free tickets" argument is what i've seen on the AU Rivals message board.....not surprising you picked that tidbit up. yeah, he's going to take an official to Alabama just so he can get tickets to see a game in Tuscaloosa. he can't POSSIBLY have ANY interest whatsoever. this whole thing is just so he can get some tickets. i don't see why we would need a ploy to make it look like "we're on a roll". we pulled in awesome talent in 08. and we are well on the way to another very talented class.

I see myself fitting into their scheme very well. I like the 3-4 defense and they want me in the middle controlling the action between the tackles.

"Auburn is still very much in it for me," said Smith. "It isn't really that Auburn is slipping as much as it is I really like what Alabama has to say right now. You could say that Alabama is a little ahead of Auburn right now. They are my top two schools."

EDIT: i guess Scout is in on the conspiracy as well. they have an article up saying Smith has UA as his new leader.

the Rivals article was not done by Andrew Bone. the "free tickets" argument is what i've seen on the AU Rivals message board.....not surprising you picked that tidbit up. yeah, he's going to take an official to Alabama just so he can get tickets to see a game in Tuscaloosa. he can't POSSIBLY have ANY interest whatsoever. this whole thing is just so he can get some tickets. i don't see why we would need a ploy to make it look like "we're on a roll". we pulled in awesome talent in 08. and we are well on the way to another very talented class.

I see myself fitting into their scheme very well. I like the 3-4 defense and they want me in the middle controlling the action between the tackles.

"Auburn is still very much in it for me," said Smith. "It isn't really that Auburn is slipping as much as it is I really like what Alabama has to say right now. You could say that Alabama is a little ahead of Auburn right now. They are my top two schools."

EDIT: i guess Scout is in on the conspiracy as well. they have an article up saying Smith has UA as his new leader.

I'll bet you a 6 month leave from this board that Petey will be a Tiger. B)

thats not close to an even deal and you know it. to make such a bet on something as unpredictable as a teenager's mind is foolish. but i'm sure you will use this as an opportunity to say "see, you're wrong so stop talking about it.", since you know nobody would do that anyways.

thats not close to an even deal and you know it. to make such a bet on something as unpredictable as a teenager's mind is foolish. but i'm sure you will use this as an opportunity to say "see, you're wrong so stop talking about it.", since you know nobody would do that anyways.

alright, how about just a month.

thats not close to an even deal and you know it. to make such a bet big deal on something as unpredictable as a teenager's mind is foolish. but i'm sure you will use this as an opportunity to say "see, you're wrong so stop talking about it.", since you know nobody would do that anyways.

Read this a few times then ask yourself if it was worth starting a pissing match over. :no:

It has been said from the beginning that Petey and Eric have a very competitive relationship and that they enjoy playing against each other. It has also been well documented (obviously not well enough) that Petey was going to heavily consider Bama. That being said, Auburn wants him. I don't see them turning him away, as he is the most highly rated linebacker remaining on our radar, and this team will be in need of some top linebackers next year. Also, with his brother already on the team, I don't think Auburn would make the dumb call of pulling Petey's scholarship offer.

What does all this bitching and moaning matter? We'll know in February period. Even if players commit now, who's to say the committment will last? Nothing is sure until February.

Why does this news not shock me... our recruiting is downhill. Saban takes whatever talent he wants and Tuberville will try to make stars from everyone that is left over. Not knocking our program, but Saban is a recruiting God. He gets like 90% of the players he pursues after that haven't made up their minds on a separate college yet. And if it's between Auburn and Bama, it's like 95%. Hopefully Petey falls into the 5% category.

I'm NOT a pessimist but I am a realist! I've said it before and got flamed but I'll say it again. If we don't pick up our in state recruiting, we are heading for trouble down the road somewhere. You can't allow Bammer to regain the headlock they had on us for about 25 years again by establishing "pipelines" to all the top schools in the state and maintain dominance over them. This is just a plain and simple fact no matter how some younger ones on here want to spin it. I'm beginning to doubt CTT's ability to effectively recruit against the "God" in-state. Last year and this year doesn't bode well for that. Within a short time, Myers and Richt are going to establish their own pipelines in-state and we won't be getting the top quality players from those states we've been getting either. I hope Tubs cranks it up a few notches and works harder. We already know that Gadsden and the Foley, Bay Minette area are predominately Bammer and it looks like others are following suite. It looks like Gran and Willis are our top two recruiters and we need about 3 more like them. Nall, Dunn and others have been with Tubs for a long time and maybe they've lost that HUNGER and DRIVE that youth brings to the table. Tubs needs to work harder at it himself as well. This is NOT a panic, but rather a wake up call.

the Rivals article was not done by Andrew Bone.

You are full of $hit.

Petey Smith Names New Leader

By Andrew Bone

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/791952.html

He either wrote it or he is libel for plagiarism? Which is it?

EDIT and acknowledgement: The Rivals article wasn't, but the Scout article was. Is that what you were pointing out? If so maybe you are not quite full of $hit, but close.

the Rivals article was not done by Andrew Bone.

You are full of $hit.

Petey Smith Names New Leader

By Andrew Bone

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/791952.html

He either wrote it or he is libel for plagiarism? Which is it?

EDIT and acknowledgement: The Rivals article wasn't, but the Scout article was. Is that what you were pointing out? If so maybe you are not quite full of $hit, but close.

to be honest with you i never even paid attention to who wrote the Scout article until you said something. i knew the Rivals article wasn't.

It has been said from the beginning that Petey and Eric have a very competitive relationship and that they enjoy playing against each other. It has also been well documented (obviously not well enough) that Petey was going to heavily consider Bama. That being said, Auburn wants him. I don't see them turning him away, as he is the most highly rated linebacker remaining on our radar, and this team will be in need of some top linebackers next year. Also, with his brother already on the team, I don't think Auburn would make the dumb call of pulling Petey's scholarship offer.

There is no excuse for Auburn not landing Smith. If we don't land him, our coaches are getting outworked. It maybe time for some coaches changes if we don't get our share this year.

Yeah, it was Shane Youngblood that did the BOL article and Bone with the Scout article, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that it was done, so that it would look like uat is "Surging" past Auburn in recruiting. IMO, he'll be an Auburn Tiger come signing day. All he needs to do is look at the uat MLB depth chart, which is what coach $ is telling him he'd play, and look at the commitment list so far.

Also, rws, are you going to answer my question?

How can y'all bring in more than the 15 that have already commited, since y'all only have 9 Scholarship Seniors graduating? Wasn't uat close to the 85 Limit after last year's class qualified?

Yeah, it was Shane Youngblood that did the BOL article and Bone with the Scout article, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that it was done, so that it would look like uat is "Surging" past Auburn in recruiting. IMO, he'll be an Auburn Tiger come signing day. All he needs to do is look at the uat MLB depth chart, which is what coach $ is telling him he'd play, and look at the commitment list so far.

How can y'all bring in more than the 15 that have already commited, since y'all only have 9 Scholarship Seniors graduating? Wasn't uat close to the 85 Limit after last year's class qualified?

why would Alabama need some sort of propaganda to make it look like we're doing well in recruiting? yeah, AU got ALL the top talent last season and we need something to slow you guys down. we're not signing anybody worth a crap for the 09 class either. right. why would Petey care about the MLB depth chart? according to you guys we have NO depth and NO talent at LB and you guys are signing better talent there. so how couldn't he come in and compete for a spot? see, all that BS party line stuff you throw out there just doesn't always work.

how does AU plan on bringing in its class when you only have 14 leaving? all the predictions i've seen here say you guys will sign 25-28 for 09. you guys were saying last season how stupid CNS was because the numbers wouldn't work, and we told you he probably has it figured out. i'm going to take a guess and say i'm not worried about the numbers working out. we are playing a TON of freshmen. we only have 9 seniors leaving. i see redshirts in some of these guys futures.

why would Alabama need some sort of propaganda to make it look like we're doing well in recruiting? yeah, AU got ALL the top talent last season and we need something to slow you guys down. we're not signing anybody worth a crap for the 09 class either. right. why would Petey care about the MLB depth chart? according to you guys we have NO depth and NO talent at LB and you guys are signing better talent there. so how couldn't he come in and compete for a spot? see, all that BS party line stuff you throw out there just doesn't always work.

how does AU plan on bringing in its class when you only have 14 leaving? all the predictions i've seen here say you guys will sign 25-28 for 09. you guys were saying last season how stupid CNS was because the numbers wouldn't work, and we told you he probably has it figured out. i'm going to take a guess and say i'm not worried about the numbers working out. we are playing a TON of freshmen. we only have 9 seniors leaving. i see redshirts in some of these guys futures.

?

I'm not sure how close Auburn is towards the 85 Limit, BTW, Auburn will probably be bringing in 28-30 recruits this year. Yeah, everyone saw how CN$ got the numbers to work last year....those stairs hurt when you fall up them, that's part of the "Process". As for Freshmen playing, Auburn has played more Freshmen the past two years than uat has.

I'm not sure how close Auburn is towards the 85 Limit, BTW, Auburn will probably be bringing in 28-30 recruits this year. Yeah, everyone saw how CN$ got the numbers to work last year....those stairs hurt when you fall up them, that's part of the "Process". As for Freshmen playing, Auburn has played more Freshmen the past two years than uat has.

consider this: at the end of 07, there were 69 scholarship players that would be returning. we signed a class of 32 (which you can only bring in 25 anyway). we ended up having 3 scholarships leftover. we're not going to sign as big of a class as we did last year either. realistically, we will probably only sign 7 more guys and thats it. you can say the "falling up the stairs" crap all you want, but 3 whole players left the team. those players left on their own and had nothing negative to say about the team. none of them had played any meaningful time and weren't going to. the others were medical hardships, and you can't just give those to whoever you want and not prove it.

consider this: at the end of 07, there were 69 scholarship players that would be returning. we signed a class of 32 (which you can only bring in 25 anyway). we ended up having 3 scholarships leftover. we're not going to sign as big of a class as we did last year either. realistically, we will probably only sign 7 more guys and thats it. you can say the "falling up the stairs" crap all you want, but 3 whole players left the team. those players left on their own and had nothing negative to say about the team. none of them had played any meaningful time and weren't going to. the others were medical hardships, and you can't just give those to whoever you want and not prove it.

Just curious are the players in jail included in the "3 whole players left the team. those players left on their own and had nothing negative to say about the team"?

Just curious are the players in jail included in the "3 whole players left the team. those players left on their own and had nothing negative to say about the team"?

no, i did not count those because i don't really see those as leaving on their own. they didn't have a choice, and rightfully so.

no, i did not count those because i don't really see those as leaving on their own. they didn't have a choice, and rightfully so.

Saban didn't have a choice either. Not referring to moral judgement either.

Archived