Anyone Have a Good Experience This Weekend?

AUesquire

I've read through the 5+ pages of the "A-hole" thread about slashing tires etc. Quickly turned into a pissing match about who has the most classless fans and the dozens of horrifying experiences. Now, I have been to countless AU/LSU games at JHS and to date, 2 games at LSU. Have I had my share of "Encounters"? Yes, mostly with a few rude fans cussing up a storm for no apparent reason. Had a girl beside me get clocked with a whiskey bottle from the upper deck down at Red Stick. But honestly, I've heard that same story about every fan base.

However, to read that thread is almost comical. I have to say that I was on campus for virtually the entire day, encountered hundreds of LSU fans and tailgated in an area where there was about an even split of AU/LSU fans all pretty much at the same party. Sorry, but I just didn't see the war zone that many describe from Saturday. No, I'm not calling any one out and saying you in particular didn't have a bad experience. But I've been reading all these comments and I'm wondering if I went to the same game some of you went to.

Again, there were anywhere from 50-100 LSU folks in our area, all drinking, all having a great time, all watching games and eating and shooting the bull with us and each other. The only thing I saw that even remotely resembled confrontation was a group of about 10-15 Auburn students who marched through our tailgate area hollering and chanting War Eagle and LSU Sux. Still, it was good natured overall and pretty much what you'd expect. There were some taunts, we all cracked up laughing and went on about our business.

Bottom line, this was one of the better tailgates I've had in my years at Auburn and as an Auburn fan. Our folks (AUtailgatingrules for you long time members) had BBQ and all the fixin's open to everyone and there was a group of LSU folks with a huge pot of gumbo and they were happy to share with anyone.

Sorry we lost the game but I had absolutely no problems of any kind before, during or after the game. Made some good friends from La. Anyone else actually have a good time or did you all spend the day getting cussed and having LSU people take swings at you?

I only get to about one home game a year now (physical issues). The friends I talked to that went had no problems, but most of them tailgate at a pay site with many game-time occupied RVs/parties.

I've been to the Swamp 3 times. It was awful every time. The last time, I got so angered by the rudeness, my buddies has to drag me off of a moving car. I won't go again. Never had problems at any of the numerous trips to Legion Field, Knoxville or Athens.

I was in Auburn this weekend and had a great time until we failed to convert our last play of the game. I got to campus around 1:00 and stayed until the end of the game and didn't have any trouble with LSU fans.

There was one big group of LSU fans on Thach between Cater and Haley Center who were doing the "Tiger Bait" thing to Auburn fans who walked through them, but it seemed pretty harmless to me. I went right through the middle of them yelling "War Eagle!" and we were all hooting and hollering at each other, but just in a way that was fired up for the game, not in a way that seemed threatening or insulting.

The only LSU fans I actually spoke with at length were cool. We talked about how much we all hated Saban and they invited us to their tailgate next year in Baton Rouge.

As we were walking down the ramp after the game a couple of them told us what a good game it was and how lucky they felt to have gotten away with the win.

I always hear the stories, but I have never had trouble with LSU fans.

I had an awesome experience this weekend. I sat on the beach all day Saturday, then ate a huge ribeye for dinner shortly before settling down in front of the television for the game. Of course, that is when the awesomeness of the weekend started downhill though...

Being an LSU fan, I have to admit, we do use profanity quite a bit. Having said that, we, as a whole, are not as bad as we are sometimes made out to be. I am glad to hear that there were plenty of good experiences. Ya'll have a great team. And I also feel that we were lucky to come away with a big win against such a good team. I wish you the best of luck the rest of the season and will be pulling for you the rest of the way, unless of course LSU loses 2 more conference games.

Good Luck!

I had a great day! The only "bad" part was losing the game.

I had a great time at the game and I went with my brother (LSU grad) and sat in the student section close to the bottom of the stands near the endzone. He had an LSU shirt and hat on and we didnt have any issues. Of course, he was not being over the top in his cheering for LSU considering the seats but we both had a great time. With the exception of the outcome, it was a great game. We even rode the tiger transit to and from the game. There were several LSU fans riding the transit and I didnt see any confrontations.

I made it to the game, unfortunately it's the only game I'll be able to attend this year so I wanted to make the most of it. I was bringing my girlfriend to Auburn for the first time, so I wanted it to be a special Auburn atmosphere weekend, I'm trying to convert her from being a Gator to becoming a Tiger. And this weekend definitely helped.

The weekend could not have gone any better or displayed Auburn's unique character in a better way. I graduated two years ago, haven't been able to make it back much, so I had a lot of tailgates to stop by so I could see old friends. We covered the entire campus, from old row, lowder, carry hall, the new student union, the amphitheatre, the colusiem, and more. It was perfect and better than I even remember, and that's saying a lot.

Everyone was happy, laid back, and generally in a great mood. And I didn't have any bad experiences with LSU fans at all. I did what I usual do with the visiting fans, shake their hands, wish them good luck, and tell them I hope they enjoy their visit to the Plains, and most recieved my welcome with good manners, some did not, but not to any bad extent. My sister and brother-in-law are LSU fans, so I know where the stories come from, I've seen it first hand, and there have been times I've wanted to strangle my brother in law, but even he was on his best behavior.

It was an amazing weekend, one of the best general atmospheres of tailgating in Auburn I've ever experienced in my lifetime of being an Auburn fan. I hope you all enjoyed the time leading up to the game as much as I did. Even the LSU fans sitting near us during the game were polite, and that I was really thankful for.

Unfortunately, I was not in Auburn so I can't comment on behaviour in the area. Even more unfortunately I was in Baton Rouge for my brother's wedding.

I had a horrible experience this weekend because of two factors... the reception was out in BFE and was not able to pick up the radio broadcast of the game, and there was no TV with cable in the area. LSU fans and myself (being the only Auburn fan) were stuck with hitting refresh on ESPN Mobile the entire evening catching the latest, along with text message updates from friends.

Now, after we lost the game... the alumni of LSU were kind to me and shared their condolences, etc. Those that were still going to LSU were quite hostile, but thankfully the alumni put them in their place. I think what it comes down to is generally a age/maturity factor, something that most people attending ANY college in the USA doesn't have a whole lot of. I know for myself I grew up a lot as soon as I graduated. College is the new high school, so of course you are going to see childish antics no matter what team you pull for.

At almost every home and away game I've been to in the SEC, those that are the most riled up and acting classless are those attending the university. It's always the alumni having to step in and run interference (if they are around). All that needs to be called for is more alumni stepping in and slapping us young whipper snappers into line.

I ran into one rather smart alecky LSU fan...nothing serious...just a jerk. The worst fan that I heard, unfortunately, was sitting in our VERY FAMILY ORIENTED, Section 40...and this Ignorant Doofus, a professed Auburn fan, used the f word, with all its variations, including mf, etc., just about all night long. Had my gf, or my kid been with me at the game, he and I would've had a go...but as it was, I just turned around and gave him a dirty look every time he ran his mouth. He was REALLY ticking me off.... I'm actually kind of surprised some of the guys with ladies and kids in the crowd didn't take care of him...wish they had. There's NO reason to use that kind of language in public...and there was a time when it wasn't tolerated in the South. Disgraceful....

:au::homer:

Unfortunately, I was not in Auburn so I can't comment on behaviour in the area. Even more unfortunately I was in Baton Rouge for my brother's wedding.

I had a horrible experience this weekend because of two factors... the reception was out in BFE and was not able to pick up the radio broadcast of the game, and there was no TV with cable in the area. LSU fans and myself (being the only Auburn fan) were stuck with hitting refresh on ESPN Mobile the entire evening catching the latest, along with text message updates from friends.

Now, after we lost the game... the alumni of LSU were kind to me and shared their condolences, etc. Those that were still going to LSU were quite hostile, but thankfully the alumni put them in their place. I think what it comes down to is generally a age/maturity factor, something that most people attending ANY college in the USA doesn't have a whole lot of. I know for myself I grew up a lot as soon as I graduated. College is the new high school, so of course you are going to see childish antics no matter what team you pull for.

At almost every home and away game I've been to in the SEC, those that are the most riled up and acting classless are those attending the university. It's always the alumni having to step in and run interference (if they are around). All that needs to be called for is more alumni stepping in and slapping us young whipper snappers into line.

Good point.

I was in line with an LSU alumnus this summer and he confided that he enjoyed comming to Auburn. He said you treat us a lot better than we treat you guys.

I had a GREAT time!

From the SW side of the stadium where I had some Gumbo and good company at AUtailgating Rules site to the NE side of the stadium where I had bacon wraped scallops and more good company at Proud Tiger's tailgate.

From there we went up to Mellow Mushroom and walked some down College Street and all we saw was more folks having good times whether they were wearing Purple & Gold or Orange & Blue!

Like most everyone else here said, it could have only been better if we could have pulled out a W.

WAR EAGLE!

Let's do it again this Sat.

(Only with a W this time).

I ran into one rather smart alecky LSU fan...nothing serious...just a jerk. The worst fan that I heard, unfortunately, was sitting in our VERY FAMILY ORIENTED, Section 40...and this Ignorant Doofus, a professed Auburn fan, used the f word, with all its variations, including mf, etc., just about all night long. Had my gf, or my kid been with me at the game, he and I would've had a go...but as it was, I just turned around and gave him a dirty look every time he ran his mouth. He was REALLY ticking me off.... I'm actually kind of surprised some of the guys with ladies and kids in the crowd didn't take care of him...wish they had. There's NO reason to use that kind of language in public...and there was a time when it wasn't tolerated in the South. Disgraceful....

:au::homer:

What was Al Borges doing in your section?

Tailgated with some LSU friends and had great time. Some random LSU fans had made jambalaya and insisted we partake. Had to admit it the best I have ever had. No problems after the game. An LSU student at the tailgate party said he was suprised how nice everyone had been to him. I said return the favor when we come down next year

Have you ever been to a Alabama game? The last game played at Legion Field, I had a 60 year old man

put me in a head lock! I was surrounded by Bama fans....My brother and cousin were Bama fans and they

walked off laughing.

Have you ever been to a Alabama game? The last game played at Legion Field, I had a 60 year old man

put me in a head lock! I was surrounded by Bama fans....My brother and cousin were Bama fans and they

walked off laughing.

You got schooled by Don Zimmer?? :lol:

The LSU fans that travel are always my favorite group of fans. They love to party win or lose and they always share their food and drink. Great bunch of fans. Really epitomize SEC football.

However, when going down to Baton Rouge I never feel safe and I'm 6'2 250#. Those people are crazy.

I always try to be hospitable to visiting fans even if there is some good natured cheering. In BR they really get beligerant and hostile when we visit. I have heard the same from other SEC fans.

We had a wonderful tailgate! I made Jambalaya - everyone enjoyed it. We saw the same LSU fans we met on Friday night at Pat Dye's farm for the Blue Jean Ball. We enjoyed talking to them then, and it was neat to see them again on Saturday. They were all very nice. After the game, 2 LSU fans in front of us turned around and said it was the best road game they had EVER been to. The fans, the game and the atmosphere. The final score was the worst thing about the entire day. I love they hate Saban as much as we do.

Archived