Who does the scheduling for Basketball?

AU alum

In football, the scheduling is done by JJ, right? So, we really can't blame the HC in football what games are scheduled. i.e. all the easy-to-beat teams on our schedule that will allow us to get a larger piece of the profit. What about in basketball? Does JJ schedule those, too. If so, shouldn't we blame HIM for not getting in the NCAA tournament?

First off - you can blame Jef Lebo for losing to teams like Dayton, Xavier, Northern Iowa, Mercer, Vanderbilt, and Ole Miss. If Jeff Lebo prepares his team in any of these games (specifically the first 4, everyone loses some conference games they should win), they are in the big dance. Or if they beat UT in Tampa, they had a great shot as well.

If JJ scheduled a more difficult schedule, we likely would've had more losses in that preseason.

Quit trying to play the blame game on those who didn't actually play the game. Auburn's basketball team had full control of it's own destiny from the start. They were the team that lost games. They were the ones that won games. They are the ones in the NIT. Not Jay Jacobs.

This isn't football, where going undefeated means you may get left out. In basketball, you have complete control.

And btw, football coaches do get to veto out teams. Tuberville has done it. Paterno has done it. Many have and many will. I believe FSU (or someone?) was on the schedule and Tubs had them removed because he didn't want to play them so early in his tenure. I am not completely positive about this specific example, but someone else may be able to confirm.

Basketball matchups are not set years in advance like football games are, so the lion's share of the scheduling goes to the coaches.

Our non-conference schedule was definitely weak overall...we had 2-3 teams of any quality on it and we didn't beat any of them.

The ironic thing is that this year's team, with the experience it had, needed to play a schedule like it did a couple of years ago. In 2006-2007, we played Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Pittsburgh (and went 0-4). I don't know if this year's team would have fared much better against them, but 3 of those games would have been in the "we could win it if we played well" category. Our team wasn't equipped to handle that two years ago.

I think we need to "game the RPI" a little better...

* Don't play so many games against RPI teams that are 150+. We played 10 of our non-conference games against teams that were 150+ in the RPI and 7 of those were 200+. That just kills your SOS. You can't schedule all powerhouses, but you can find teams in the 75-125 range that aren't quite so much of a drag.

* Play a few more true road games in the non-conference, even against scrubs. You get a better RPI multiplier (1.4) for a road win than you do for a neutral site win (1.0) or a home win (0.6). If you're going to play a game against UT-Chattanooga or Troy or Alabama State, play one or two of them away from home, especially during the holiday break when nobody's around, anyway.

* Don't schedule scrubs from the same league. Alabama State and Alabama A&M are both in the SWAC. They'll neutralize each other later on by playing each other twice. Spread those scrubs out across different leagues.

Basketball matchups are not set years in advance like football games are, so the lion's share of the scheduling goes to the coaches.

Our non-conference schedule was definitely weak overall...we had 2-3 teams of any quality on it and we didn't beat any of them.

The ironic thing is that this year's team, with the experience it had, needed to play a schedule like it did a couple of years ago. In 2006-2007, we played Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Pittsburgh (and went 0-4). I don't know if this year's team would have fared much better against them, but 3 of those games would have been in the "we could win it if we played well" category. Our team wasn't equipped to handle that two years ago.

* Don't play so many games against RPI teams that are 150+. We played 10 of our non-conference games against teams that were 150+ in the RPI and 7 of those were 200+. That just kills your SOS. You can't schedule all powerhouses, but you can find teams in the 75-125 range that aren't quite so much of a drag.

* Play a few more true road games in the non-conference, even against scrubs. You get a better RPI multiplier (1.4) for a road win than you do for a neutral site win (1.0) or a home win (0.6). If you're going to play a game against UT-Chattanooga or Troy or Alabama State, play one or two of them away from home, especially during the holiday break when nobody's around, anyway.

* Don't schedule scrubs from the same league. Alabama State and Alabama A&M are both in the SWAC. They'll neutralize each other later on by playing each other twice. Spread those scrubs out across different leagues.

Thank you.

I add just one thing to this that the expectations for this team(before the season) was to get to the NIT and the coaches and AD built a schedule to accomplish that. Thats why we tried to schedule so many "cupcake" games to stockpile wins.

The hot rumor though is that Lebo has been in Roy William's ear about having UNC come in the first year the new arena opens.

I add just one thing to this that the expectations for this team(before the season) was to get to the NIT and the coaches and AD built a schedule to accomplish that. Thats why we tried to schedule so many "cupcake" games to stockpile wins.

The hot rumor though is that Lebo has been in Roy William's ear about having UNC come in the first year the new arena opens.

Slag great post, and if UNC comes to Auburn then I'm going to be there no matter what. That is another problem I have had with the schedules, I know it is hard but can Auburn get a big name team to come to the Plains at least once?

Slag great post, and if UNC comes to Auburn then I'm going to be there no matter what. That is another problem I have had with the schedules, I know it is hard but can Auburn get a big name team to come to the Plains at least once?

It lowers ACC's teams SOS to come play an SEC team. :poke:

We've had some good teams come to Auburn in the last 2-3 years (Pitt, Texas A&M, Xavier), but very few people noticed or bothered to come out to watch because they weren't "traditional powers" and, to be fair, figured "we're probably going to lose anyway, so why bother?" A team like UNC would hopefully put butts in the seats.

The last non-conference game in Auburn that I remember people anticipating was when we played UNLV in 1987 when Vegas was still really good (went to the Final Four)...they had Armon Gilliam and Freddie Banks and we had an NCAA tournament team (Chris Morris, Gerald White, Frank Ford, Jeff Moore, Mike Jones). as well. They beat us, but we had one of the best crowds (over 10K) in school history for a team not named Kentucky or Alabama.

1. It is difficult to get any team to come to Auburn for a home-and-home. For whatever reason, Lebo and Ellis have both refused to play games without a home-and-home clause. Basically, WHY, would Duke want to play a home-and-home with AU? AU won't help Duke's SOS. All Duke would get is one less home game the next year. That's not much of a benefit.

We have to first WIN our games. THEN, we can establish ourselves. THEN, we can bring the big boys down to the Plains.

2. Lebo/Jacobs, whomever, attempted to line up some mid-grade teams. Who knew Virginia would tank this year? It's their worst season in 40 years! George Washington (road game) has won some games in the tourney the last few years. Xavier? Don't you think Xavier is a valid opponent. Auburn doesn't need to schedule the toughest OOC schedule. We're not there yet. But we do need to schedule a middle of the pack OOC schedule. I think that's what Lebo was trying to do.

First off - you can blame Jef Lebo for losing to teams like Dayton, Xavier, Northern Iowa, Mercer, Vanderbilt, and Ole Miss. If Jeff Lebo prepares his team in any of these games (specifically the first 4, everyone loses some conference games they should win), they are in the big dance. Or if they beat UT in Tampa, they had a great shot as well.

If JJ scheduled a more difficult schedule, we likely would've had more losses in that preseason.

Quit trying to play the blame game on those who didn't actually play the game. Auburn's basketball team had full control of it's own destiny from the start. They were the team that lost games. They were the ones that won games. They are the ones in the NIT. Not Jay Jacobs.

This isn't football, where going undefeated means you may get left out. In basketball, you have complete control.

And btw, football coaches do get to veto out teams. Tuberville has done it. Paterno has done it. Many have and many will. I believe FSU (or someone?) was on the schedule and Tubs had them removed because he didn't want to play them so early in his tenure. I am not completely positive about this specific example, but someone else may be able to confirm.

:moon::moon::moon:

In football, the scheduling is done by JJ, right? So, we really can't blame the HC in football what games are scheduled......

You don't really think the AD schedules football games without the head coach's blessing, do you? In football as with the other sports, it's more like the AD rubber stamps what the HC wants.

Archived