Definition of an assist

AUBandDad

After seeing that Whitney Boddie set a new record for assists for the women's basketball program at Auburn, I have a question that I hope one of the experts can answer. What qualifies as an assist? The easy answer, of course, is when Player A throws the ball to Player B who then scores. Does Player A still get credit for an assist if Player B dribbles the ball before shooting? What has to transpire when Player B has the ball before Player A no longer gets credit for an assist even if Player B scores (with no other players touching the ball in the intervening period)? Thanks.

After seeing that Whitney Boddie set a new record for assists for the women's basketball program at Auburn, I have a question that I hope one of the experts can answer. What qualifies as an assist? The easy answer, of course, is when Player A throws the ball to Player B who then scores. Does Player A still get credit for an assist if Player B dribbles the ball before shooting? What has to transpire when Player B has the ball before Player A no longer gets credit for an assist even if Player B scores (with no other players touching the ball in the intervening period)? Thanks.

I am not 100% positive, but I think player B can dribble either 1 or 2 times, assuming they are moving towards the basket for the shot, and it still be considered an assist for player A.

The scorer has to make an immediate intent to score. Meaning, dribbles are acceptable if the scorer catches the ball and immediately puts it on the floor towards the basket. If the player looks for other options first then its not an assist.

Also, I know a long time ago the rule was that if the scorer dribbled the ball there was no assist given so this messes with all time stats a bit.

Its two dribbles and if player is fouled during shot the player has to make both free throws for it to go down as an assist

Its two dribbles and if player is fouled during shot the player has to make both free throws for it to go down as an assist

I'm sorry, I don't mean to call you on this but this seams to be completely wrong to me. Do you have a link to the rule? I don't know the NCAA rule specifically but in the NBA a player has to make a 'basketball move' after the pass for the assist to count. And I've never heard of an assist after free throws. I've heard people argue that the rule should be amended but never have I heard that the rule was changed to reflect this.

Archived