Hollywood behind Gibson's "Passion"

Hollywood stars stand behind Gibson's ‘Passion of the Christ’

Many Hollywood celebrities support Mel Gibson's new movie.

By Jeannette Walls with Ashley Pearson

MSNBC 2:39a.m. ET, March 02, 2004

Mel Gibson has said he was worried that “The Passion of the Christ” would get him ostracized in Hollywood — but The Scoop’s source at the Oscars spoke with top stars and filmmakers about the controversial flick, and the overwhelming majority defended Gibson and his movie about the last hours of the life of Christ.

“I saw the film and I thought it was brilliant and amazing,” Angie Harmon told our source. “Why is it that when people make movies about Buddhism or Islam it’s fine and everyone’s okay with it? But as soon as someone makes a movie about Jesus Christ there is an uproar?”

“I respect very much the passion that Mel’s put into this,” Susan Sarandon said. “My daughter Eva saw it already and told me she thought it was too violent for me to handle. And I trust her so I won’t see it—but only for that reason.”

“I think it’s wonderful that a filmmaker would put his own money in and make something he has so much feeling about,” “Godfather” director Francis Ford Coppola said. “If people don’t approve, they should make their own movie that shows another perspective. That’s the beauty of our system.”

Other celebs who spoke out in defense of the film included Lara Flynn Boyle, Sandra Bullock, Donald Trump, Paul Sorvino, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, Kirk Douglas, Hillary Swank and Chad Lowe...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4375707/

I thought it was interesting because it's not what you would expect, or what Gibson himself expected apparently. I'm not surprised that someone came out in support, but I am surprised at how many, just mentioned in this article, that did. That's all.

On one of the message boards at ITAT there is a thread debating whether or not Mr. Gibson should donate most of the earnings of the film to churches and charity. I think it was a lib who started that pearl of wisdom. :rolleyes:

On one of the message boards at ITAT there is a thread debating whether or not Mr. Gibson should donate most of the earnings of the film to churches and charity. I think it was a lib who started that pearl of wisdom. :rolleyes:

He stepped out on faith, not the churches or any other organization. God has rewarded him for this. Now all God expects is his tithe.

Archived