Massive OL Walk-on from Cali

Just FYI

http://auburn.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...719&sport=1

http://www.idahopress.com/sports/?id=22568

Nampa grad set to walk-on at Auburn

Dave Southorn

dsouthorn@idahopress.com

Saturday, April 18th, 2009

NAMPA — It will be a whirlwind week for Jorrell Bostrom in a month's time.

The Nampa High graduate will be getting married May 15, then heads to Alabama four days later.

Bostrom, an offensive lineman who graduated from Bakersfield College in December, will walk-on at Auburn, a Southeastern Conference team that has won 47 games in the past five seasons.

"It's an amazing opportunity," Bostrom said. "I have the chance to go to a great program and earn a scholarship, so I'm very excited."

The road to Auburn has been a long one for Bostrom, whose senior season at Nampa was in 2002. He then went on an LDS mission until 2006 and went to a walk-on tryout at Boise State.

It was there that Bronco coach Viliami Tuivai recommended Bostrom attend a junior college. He chose Bakersfield because his friend Jacob Bower, a quarterback now at Tulsa, also went on a mission after a high school career at Mountain View.

"I weighed about 400 pounds after my mission, so I had to cut down my weight and get a bit more experience," said Bostrom, a guard who currently stands at 6-foot-4, 370 pounds.

After two seasons at Bakersfield, he was contacted by Colorado offensive line coach Jeff Grimes.

During this past winter break, Bostrom gave film to Skyview grad and then-CU quarterback Matt Ballenger, who brought it to Grimes in Boulder.

On Jan. 18, Grimes left Colorado for Auburn, and later contacted Bostrom.

"I have three years to play two, so I can redshirt this next season, and (head coach Gene) Chizik really liked that," Bostrom said.

Bostrom also spoke with Boise State coaches, but the Broncos were looking for offensive tackles, though they said he could possibly switch to defense.

Auburn coaches said Bostrom could earn a scholarship after the season with a strong showing in practices. The team starts summer conditioning May 21. He has been working out daily at the Nampa rec center and eating a "caveman" diet to drop some of his weight — Tiger coaches hope he can play at around 340 pounds.

"If it flies, swims or walks, it's fair game," Bostrom said. "I hope to get quick enough to pick up a blitzing linebacker in the SEC. It's not easy, but I'm excited to get out there and see what happens."

Hope he turns out to be a good one. I guess redshirting won't help us with depth this year, but if CJG remembered him and contacted him after joining us from Colorado, I'll take it as a good sign.

...besides, after Utah and the Sugar Bowl, it'll be fun watching the Sabanites face another Latter Day Saint! :big:

Archived