Demarcus Milliner, Part 2

Mikey

This is a general question that could apply to players other than Milliner:

Ok, so at the end of last season, Milliner was voted "honorable mention all-state", which equates out to something like all-county. I guess I saw him play against Opelika. I say "guess" because if he played in that game he didn't do anything to attract attention. There was no "who is THAT guy" moment.

Now, without playing another down of football he's gone from All-Elmore County to the #1 CB prospect in the nation? How is this determined?

I'm wondering just like you Mikey......i live 200 yards from his high school and i guess he's more of an athlete who happens to play safety. A 5 * should at least make all state as a jr.

It helps for bammer to be interested in you and then be rumored to be committing to bammer. Tail wags the dog. On Scout he went from a 3-star to a 4-star after film evaluations and combines to a 5-star in the last month or so without playing a down as a senior. Seems crazy.

Youtube clips? If he did that stuff consistently last year, without a bunch of busts to go with it, he'd have had more love than "honorable mention" from the various voters.

Tail wags the dog.
If that's the reason, and it might well be, then it's a shame. A sham too, for that matter.

The only thing that I thought was interesting was he hasn't even played CB yet...but he's the #1 CB?...he may be I don't know but how do they determine that?

Tail wags the dog.
If that's the reason, and it might well be, then it's a shame. A sham too, for that matter.

It's actually not just bammer. You could take the same kid with the exact same abilities, 40 times, highlight reels and everything. If his offer sheet/interest list is Texas Tech, West Virginia, Missouri, Oregon State and Syracuse, he'll end up 1 to 2 stars lower than he would if the same kid held offers from USC, Texas, Ohio State and bammer. The star ratings are influenced by who they have offers from.

And like it or not, while an offer from Auburn will also give a kid a slight boost compared to some other schools, they are giving kids with bammer offers more of a boost, especially since SaBear showed up. It's crap and we all know it. Either the kid is at a certain level or he isn't, but that's the way it is.

Youtube clips? If he did that stuff consistently last year, without a bunch of busts to go with it, he'd have had more love than "honorable mention" from the various voters.

Tail wags the dog.

I seriously doubt you would be saying any of this had he committed to us..... :no:

It's funny, I post on another board not associated with Auburn or bama at all, but there is a group of folks that like to talk college football and we were talking about this yesterday. Anyway, I asked how one of the bama guy's on there how a guy that didn't play corner last year(safety and RB) could be the #1 corner in the country this year.

He posted an article from rivals that quotes Barton Simmons and Mike Farrell as to why he was bumped up to a 5 star. I won't post the whole thing because I think it's members only, but here is the quote as to why:

----That intangible that pushed Milliner to a five-star is that he wants to get out and compete. He's got the offers and the ranking, but he doesn't let that stop him from getting out and competing.---

What in the flying **** does that mean? I could name 1000 high school football players that want to get out and compete too. Does that bump them all up another star? That's probably the most half-assed explanation I've ever read as to why a guy was made a 5 star. I have no doubts that he's a great athlete and will probably be a good corner when all is said and done, but rivals explanation as to why he was moved up so high is just weak. The guy that posted the article said he agreed that is was a pretty weak explanation, and if nothing else he should be on there as an ATH or S instead of a CB.

I seriously doubt you would be saying any of this had he committed to us..... :no:

Have you figured out who Coach Kevin Yoxall is? Do that first, then maybe you can comment on what others think about Auburn football.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54829

Posts #3, 4 & 5 are particularly cool.:roflol:

Have you figured out who Coach Kevin Yoxall is? Do that first, then maybe you can comment on what others think about Auburn football.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54829

Posts #3, 4 & 5 are particularly cool.:roflol:

He's the Strength and conditioning coach, but who cares. I care MOSTLY about who our OC and DCs are, and ESPECIALLY the HC.

So if you still need to continue using the same ole same ole same ole who's Yox drivel to make yourself feel good, then by all means, don't let me stand in your way... :poke:

and as I stated before, you would not have these questions about Milliner had he committed to us..

Yes I would. I'd express utter amazement that he'd rise so quickly in the star ratings...and also I'd wonder how long he'd remain a 5-star once he committed to us. :)

Did anyone actually read the quote I posted as to why they bumped him up to a 5 star?

And if so, do you find it as wildly ridiculous as I do?

It is most definitely ridiculous. But that is how it has been at scout.com for years now. Like TT alluded to, if he gone to a 4*, debating b/t AU and uat, and then committed to AU. I promise you they would have dropped him back to a 3*, or if had gone anywhere else other than uat. That is just the way they do things at scout.com.

then by all means, don't let me stand in your way... :poke:

Oh don't worry, I never let the ill-informed stand in my way.

then by all means, don't let me stand in your way... :poke:

Oh don't worry, I never let the ill-informed stand in my way.

Then Good luck in your classes, (thats if you are a student)

Archived