Furman Thoughts

mcgufcm

Just a few quick thoughts after watching the game this afternoon:

1) The first team offense played great. The first team defense played great. If you saw the game or just saw a chart of player participation, those two facts were obvious.

2) Demond Washington played fantastic at safety. He wasn't tested in the way that he will be in coming weeks, but he was in proper position almost every play. He showed great recognition on screens and play action, and he really tackled well. If he can keep that up, his speed is a HUGE weapon in the defensive backfield. By far the best game of his Auburn career.

3) Emory Blake didn't put up the numbers that Benton did, but he looked better. Blake played with the Ones on offense in the first half, and he showed good hands and great awareness of down/distance. He snagged the ball and just got up field to keep the chains moving. He's a lot thicker than I thought he was. I was impressed.

4) Eric Smith is always going to be a fullback. He's got nifty feet for a guy with his size, but he just isn't a tailback. With Dyer coming in, Fannin still on the roster, and McCalebb getting thicker, he's never going to be a tailback.

5) Jonothan Evans looks like a guy that can help in the future. He needs to add weight, but he had a good nose for the ball. He flows down the line well, and he gets guys on the ground. Not a big hitter, but he's going to help us next year.

6) Our punt return game is as bad as ever. I have no idea what it takes to train a guy to return kicks or if it's just an instinct that you either have or don't... but we're no closer to having a dangerous return game than we were 4 years ago (with Tre Smith returning punts). That said, Frenchy looked GREAT returning kickoffs. Great.

7) Caudle looked solid. He was floundering early because they weren't letting him throw the ball downfield. Once they opened up for him, he made solid throws to all distances. That said, he still locks on a target and does little to transfer his eyes to move the coverage. I'm not sure if he did it because he didn't need to move coverage (guys were just open) or if he's just got bad habits. Only time will tell.

8) It looked like the entire scout team played. Seriously. I don't think I've ever seen a team empty the bench more thoroughly than we did. I'm glad those guys got to make some plays out there. It must've been special.

It looked like the entire scout team played. Seriously. I don't think I've ever seen a team empty the bench more thoroughly than we did. I'm glad those guys got to make some plays out there. It must've been special.

From riding the pine back in the day, I can assure you that any and all PT is special, and something never forgotten. :)

Um, he was aggressive. But he made a number of tackles 10 yards downfield, and he had a lot of tackles like the ones I once made: on your back reaching up and grabbing a leg. That said, he was easily one of the better guys on the field late in the game. He and the Richardson kid (#56) were very active. Means did look VERY good in special teams coverage. He made 3 solos on kickoffs. Solid stuff.

It was nice to see Gulley, Blake and Benton get some valuable game experience as well as Lutzenkirchen. You can tell these kids are talented and will definately contribute next year if they don't before this year is over. I was impressed with Jonathan Evans as well as Demond Washington. There's definately some talent already on board that's coming on even before our bang up recruiting year is said and done. You have to be optimistic about this team and staff's chance to go to the next level in the next 2-3 years. Our lack of quality depth in the line is obvious on defense and offense but we can solve that with this year's recruiting class and I believe that we will.

PPL did not look great returning punts. You must have missed the one where he was literally running backwards and tried to catch the punt at the 10, dropped it and Furman got the ball. They scored the next play. That was the definition of what not to do on a punt.

He also made a questionable fair catch signal which caused a penalty.

And I'm pretty sure he bobbled at least one punt with no one in his face.

He did have one return that I saw that looked good where he was actually able to get some room and make a couple people miss.

True that. He was a wreck in punt returns... although he didn't give a questionable fair catch signal. He didn't give any fair catch signal on that play. The refs just blew it. Tough to believe I know. There should not have been a delay penalty on that play.

PPL did not look great returning punts. You must have missed the one where he was literally running backwards and tried to catch the punt at the 10, dropped it and Furman got the ball. They scored the next play. That was the definition of what not to do on a punt.

He also made a questionable fair catch signal which caused a penalty.

And I'm pretty sure he bobbled at least one punt with no one in his face.

He did have one return that I saw that looked good where he was actually able to get some room and make a couple people miss.

The dropped punt was unconscionable. Everyone knows that if you're around your own 10 yrd line, and having to back up to catch the ball, you let the damn thing go! That has to be one of the first things you get drilled into your head as a returner. Know where you are on the field. There's just no excuse for that, at all.

As for the 'illegal signal', I thought the refs blew that call. Looked to me that PPL was waving off his team mates, to stay clear of the ball, and never did raise his hand over his head to signal fair catch.

Archived