Board Question when MUST Lebo get AU to the NCAA Tourney???

AUgrad00

Well another impressive setback tonight. I have continued to give Lebo the benefit of the doubt but I see little progression in this program. Nice guy, has good knowledge of hoops but what has he done other then one nice run in five years. He cannot sell his program to recruits, he cannot sell his program to the fans I just do not see him being a success. I mean at some point you have to get to the freakin NCAA tournament. I know AU is not an easy to place to win at but as one of the few die hard fans who actually travels from Huntsville for several home games a season I am pretty tired of this. I mean this team is not going to the NCAA tournament. Oh but next year will be better. Oh okay. They lose Waller, Reed and Hargrove basically all the veteran talent Auburn has. You know I supported breaking off Ellis because one would figure if Ellis can win some at Auburn then Auburn should have a coach that could win consistently. What a disaster.

You fire a coach who has actually made an NCAA tournament for one that has not. I mean again quick memo to ALL AD's ONLY fire the current coach if you know you can get someone better.

Now since i point out a problem I would be wrong not to point out a solution. Easy. Jacobs get on the horn call the head coach of the team that knocked Auburn out of the NCAA tournament last season Coach Drew. If he can clean up that disaster and mess that was Baylor basketball he sure as hell can win at Auburn. I mean he did replace a coach that hung a dead player out to dry while attempting to cover for his murder and faced one season ONLY playing conference games. If he can overcome that crap surely he can win at Auburn.

I would also say the Auburn fans do a sorry @ss job of supporting Auburn basketball. I live in Huntsville we have about 2800 for the A&M game. Hell if we said Michael Dyer was in the stands we would have more then the 4,000 fans on hand tonight at BEMC.

Well another impressive setback tonight. I have continued to give Lebo the benefit of the doubt but I see little progression in this program. Nice guy, has good knowledge of hoops but what has he done other then one nice run in five years. He cannot sell his program to recruits, he cannot sell his program to the fans I just do not see him being a success. I mean at some point you have to get to the freakin NCAA tournament. I know AU is not an easy to place to win at but as one of the few die hard fans who actually travels from Huntsville for several home games a season I am pretty tired of this. I mean this team is not going to the NCAA tournament. Oh but next year will be better. Oh okay. They lose Waller, Reed and Hargrove basically all the veteran talent Auburn has. You know I supported breaking off Ellis because one would figure if Ellis can win some at Auburn then Auburn should have a coach that could win consistently. What a disaster.

You fire a coach who has actually made an NCAA tournament for one that has not. I mean again quick memo to ALL AD's ONLY fire the current coach if you know you can get someone better.

Now since i point out a problem I would be wrong not to point out a solution. Easy. Jacobs get on the horn call the head coach of the team that knocked Auburn out of the NCAA tournament last season Coach Drew. If he can clean up that disaster and mess that was Baylor basketball he sure as hell can win at Auburn. I mean he did replace a coach that hung a dead player out to dry while attempting to cover for his murder and faced one season ONLY playing conference games. If he can overcome that crap surely he can win at Auburn.

I would also say the Auburn fans do a sorry @ss job of supporting Auburn basketball. I live in Huntsville we have about 2800 for the A&M game. Hell if we said Michael Dyer was in the stands we would have more then the 4,000 fans on hand tonight at BEMC.

They'll keep Lebo around for one more season to see if UNC will open the new arena next year after that if he doesn't get to the dance, then I don't know. Mediocrity is the new zenith of Auburn Basketball. If you make the NIT then that is like making the final 4 to us.

No joke is it asking to much to watch the NCAA tournament even once in a blue moon with my favorite school in it?

They'll keep Lebo around for one more season to see if UNC will open the new arena next year after that if he doesn't get to the dance, then I don't know. Mediocrity is the new zenith of Auburn Basketball. If you make the NIT then that is like making the final 4 to us.

These kind of losses just keep piling up and piling up on Lebo's resume and after 5 years, it's like Groundhog Day...same stuff, different day.

Agree 100% with your point about Auburn being very fair-weather when it comes to supporting basketball...even more so than other schools where football rules the roost, it seems. That's been the case for a long, long time, though. It certainly was in the late '80s/early '90s when I was in school...the only consistent draws were Alabama, LSU when they had Shaq, and occasionally Kentucky (they hit a down cycle from '88 to '90). There were a couple of years where it seemed like Alabama outnumbered us in Beard-Eaves. There were a few games I went to during Sonny Smith's last season where I could have studied during the game it was so empty and quiet.

I hate to say this, but I believe it to be true: The only way basketball will ever get consistent support at AU is with a long, and by long I mean at least 8-10 years, stretch of consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and having a couple of those appearances result in a Sweet 16 run or better.

As for the suggestion of Scott Drew, he can recruit, no doubt about it. The rap on him is that he is not a real solid bench coach as of now and that he's more of a "roll the ball out and let them play" guy. I doubt we could get him even if he were available because I think our job would be perceived as no better than a lateral move and perhaps even a step down.

Billy Gillespie!!!! He is available, Go Get him now. Its time to stop being cheap with coaching hires and get a proven coach. Gillespie turned Texas A&M around and if he can do it there he can do it at Auburn. Plus he is available.

I Want UNC to come play at Auburn next year probaly more than anyone else here but if it means another year or two more of futility under Lebo than its not worth it. This is now his 6th year and he has yet to get us to the NCAA and he wont this year unless he gets a miracle. College basketball is the one sport where you can turn a program around overnight. All it takes is one special player and you are in the NCAA tourney.

I think if he doesn't get us there this year, it's time for him to go. The new arena will be packed for the opening game no matter who's there to play us.

Billy Gillespie!!!! He is available, Go Get him now. Its time to stop being cheap with coaching hires and get a proven coach. Gillespie turned Texas A&M around and if he can do it there he can do it at Auburn. Plus he is available.

I Want UNC to come play at Auburn next year probaly more than anyone else here but if it means another year or two more of futility under Lebo than its not worth it. This is now his 6th year and he has yet to get us to the NCAA and he wont this year unless he gets a miracle. College basketball is the one sport where you can turn a program around overnight. All it takes is one special player and you are in the NCAA tourney.

Just make sure that there are enough funds in the athletics coffer for a chauffeur...Gillispie likes his "liquid refreshments" and has gotten popped multiple times for DUI. He is good at building a program, but has had wanderlust tendencies that may have been tempered by his unsuccessful two seasons at Kentucky.

I do think he would like a shot to rehabilitate his coaching image and if nothing else, he would demand all-out play and hard-nosed defense all the time, which is something that I think has been lacking from our basketball team. Gillispie's teams at A&M rarely lost to teams with inferior talent, but the Aggies were a success-starved program that bought into his intense program. We're not quite as woebegone as A&M was, but the element of "we want better" is there. I ultimately don't think he'd be the guy to replace Lebo if indeed Lebo is gone at the end of this season, but it's an interesting possibility to consider.

Oh, and to answer the question in the original post, I agree with the majority here...NCAA tournament this season or I think Lebo is gone.

He gets this and next season. Then the axe comes down.

I am proud of our athletic department in giving Lebo EVERY chance to get this thing going. Because of their commitment to Lebo the Auburn job - with a new arena - will look very attractive to potential coaches.

You guys are ridiculous.

It's not Lebo's fault. He has to play basketball in that crappy coliseum. Once the new coliseum opens up next year, the fans will come, the recruits will come, the FT's will be made, and this program will win the SEC.

That's what I was told for years anyways... it has to be true.

And Titan - one reason he will stick around is because they want UNC here.

Keep him for a whole season because of one game?? I sure hope not. He just isn't cutting it. He has been here long enough and hasn't done much of anything. He had a decent year last year, but this year is going terrible.

For what possible reason would we give Lebo next season if we don't make the NCAA this year?

Money.

What money? UNC coming? That arena will be packed out for the opener no matter who we're playing.

I have supported Lebo since he took over but my patience is up and I'm ready for the basketball program to be taken over by someone else. PC, lay off about the arena, Auburn has needed to replace BEMC for quite sometime.

I have an idea. Fire Lebo after the UNC deal is in writing and it is too close to the season for UNC to back out. :lol:

Seriously, let this season unfold before making any rash decisions. Auburn still has big contests against Virginia (Monday) at home and Florida State on the road coming up in back to back games. IF, and I say IF, Auburn were to win these two games I think the perception on where the program is heading would be different.

Since when has Auburn come storming out of the gates anyway? I can only remember 1 year in the Ellis era where it ever happened. There were always a few early season head scratchers.

If Lebo and gang stumble to another 13-17 win season and miss out on postseason play, I'll wouldn't be against a coaching change. But I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet.

For what possible reason would we give Lebo next season if we don't make the NCAA this year?

Money.

What money? UNC coming? That arena will be packed out for the opener no matter who we're playing.

I'm not really sure the constraints on Lebo's contract but I was leaning more towards a possible buyout that may have to happen, a coaching search, more money thrown on another coach, etc.

As noted above, it doesn't take long to turn a basketball program. Just one or two bluechippers with a decent supporting cast and 20+ wins will come.

Problem is, Lebo has yet to recruit a single top player to Auburn. He's got some good support players, some that can hold their own, but never the guy or two that can challenge for All American consideration.

As noted above, it doesn't take long to turn a basketball program. Just one or two bluechippers with a decent supporting cast and 20+ wins will come.

Problem is, Lebo has yet to recruit a single top player to Auburn. He's got some good support players, some that can hold their own, but never the guy or two that can challenge for All American consideration.

Vot was a McDonald's All-American and was part of Lebo's first recruiting class.

Can anyone tell me if Chris Porter was a highly recruited player. I just remember him busting out of nowhere. I would say that He and Marquis Daniels are the 2 best Auburn Players in the past 10 yrs. I remember Porter was from Abbeville, not a major dot on the map for Bball prospects.

All I know is we've given him time. They need to start showing it on the court. We were a pretty darn good team at the end of the season last year, but we still have a huge hurdle to get over. Lebo has to get us there or someone else needs to step in and give it a go.

Can anyone tell me if Chris Porter was a highly recruited player. I just remember him busting out of nowhere. I would say that He and Marquis Daniels are the 2 best Auburn Players in the past 10 yrs. I remember Porter was from Abbeville, not a major dot on the map for Bball prospects.

I don't know if Porter was highly recruited or not. He originally signed with Auburn out of high school, but ended up going to JUCO before returning to Auburn. Daniels was obviously The player during Auburn's last NCAA run to the sweet 16. Jamison Brewer, who was in the same class as Daniels, left early for the NBA. Adam Harrington, who transferred from North Carolina State, left early for the NBA, but failed to get drafted. He got picked up as a free agent, but I don't think he lasted.

Ellis pretty much had everything set up for an NCAA run every year, but things just spiraled out of control. Bad luck with injuries and departures too.

David Hamilton, who couldn't make free throws to save his life, left because of several personal tragedies. He had a couple of close relatives who passed away. He also broke his leg in a pick up game his freshman year. He was well built and a big inside presense. The few games he did play, he came off the bench and snagged several rebounds and scored 6-8 points a game. He was there for the 1998-99 season (29-4) and part of the 1999-00 season (24-10). He only played in about 12 games his freshman year, then he broke his leg.

Mack McGadney in his Junior season, tore his ACL in the 2000-2001 season and was never the same.

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty other coaches out there to get that have UNC ties. Matt Doherty,Buzz Peterson for two. If im a recruit BEMC is not a tool to get me there. this arena will help with that over time. One thing that has to be noted here is that basketball is completely different animal when it comes to winning. Talent is spread way more thin than in football because mid majors have just as good of programs. It will take a very charismatic coach ala Bruce Pearl to be a face of program at a football school. I would also go after old LSU coach Brady, why he got fired i'll never know.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!! AU needs a very very charismatic coach to win. Lebo is not that. Basically Lebo is a roll the ball out and play coach he does little to sell his program, to market his program, to fans and recruits. He is a good basketball coach I think and has a good basketball mind but I mean he does jack crap to promote the program with the alumni. Hell in contrast Nell Fortner and her players were going door to door literally and begging fans to come support them.

Also despite what many say if I was named coach tomorrow I would be all over campus selling the program requesting chapter be moved from Wed night. Doing whatever it takes to put but in the seats he does nothing. Hell he has no interaction with alumni or students at all to my knowledge. Contrast that with Pearl.

It will take a very charismatic coach ala Bruce Pearl to be a face of program at a football school. I would also go after old LSU coach Brady, why he got fired i'll never know.

How can Lebo be expected to recruit with that warehouse? The place looks worse than Garrett Coliseum and while the new arena is certainly a pitch, a completed structure is more impressive than construction and renderings.

Give him a year to recruit with the new gym before calling for his head. I think he's a pretty good coach.

Archived