I am constantly amazed at reverse racism

BoJtrueAUman

there is no such thing as reverse racism lol. i find it funny people use this term. there is only RACISM.

anyways, chuck is chuck. you love him and hate him lol. i wish he would be more involved in the basketball operations. we might get something done around here. idk maybe not :blink:

there is no such thing as reverse racism lol. i find it funny people use this term. there is only RACISM.

anyways, chuck is chuck. you love him and hate him lol. i wish he would be more involved in the basketball operations. we might get something done around here. idk maybe not :blink:

Yep b/c we need a racist running the BB program. Oh and I dislike him severely!!!

lol ok settle down i'm on your side here. i'm just saying that the pull he might or might not have could be good for auburn because until now, its no secret auburn bball has been pretty sad. i'm not saying let him run things because god knows that would be horrible. but the man knows the game and knows a lot of people and he could possibly help

again let me make it clear, what he said was racist lol.

There was not one single iota of racism in anything he said. He said race played a role in hiring Shula over Croom... he's right. He said race plays a role in hiring coaches generally in the South... he's right. He said he hopes Auburn picks the best candidate for the job, no matter who that may be. He also said that, in general, white people are in charge, and they tend to think that other white people are the best candidates. The first part of that is indisputable; the second part seems right based on my life experience as a person from Mississippi, schooled in Alabama, working on a grad degree in Virgina.

Chuck didn't say anything wrong here, and he hasn't in the past. Turner Gill did have a better resume than Gene Chizik. You can't act like he was alone in thinking the hire was a bad or questionable hire. Hell, I'm still up in the air, but it's gone well so far. I'm exceedingly happy about that. But revisionist history doesn't change the fact that a LOT of people questioned the move.

I am constantly amazed at people's need/desire to call out-spoken black men "reverse racists."

There was not one single iota of racism in anything he said. He said race played a role in hiring Shula over Croom... he's right. He said race plays a role in hiring coaches generally in the South... he's right. He said he hopes Auburn picks the best candidate for the job, no matter who that may be. He also said that, in general, white people are in charge, and they tend to think that other white people are the best candidates. The first part of that is indisputable; the second part seems right based on my life experience as a person from Mississippi, schooled in Alabama, working on a grad degree in Virgina.

Chuck didn't say anything wrong here, and he hasn't in the past. Turner Gill did have a better resume than Gene Chizik. You can't act like he was alone in thinking the hire was a bad or questionable hire. Hell, I'm still up in the air, but it's gone well so far. I'm exceedingly happy about that. But revisionist history doesn't change the fact that a LOT of people questioned the move.

I am constantly amazed at people's need/desire to call out-spoken black men "reverse racists."

Agreed.

Seeing as 99% of Collegiate BBall Players are African American it would be wise to hire a Black Coach to help in Recruiting.

Seeing as 99% of Collegiate BBall Players are African American it would be wise to hire a Black Coach to help in Recruiting.

Could not be more wrong. The % comment is just absurd. Also race of head coach has little to no impact on recruiting. Just take a look at last years Rivals rankings and there was only one team in the top 10 with a Black head coach and only 3 or 4 teams in the top 25 with a black head coach. Players want to play for winning programs that will give them exposure and prepare them for the nba they could not care less about skin color of the coach.

Seeing Scott Polhman is the last white player to start in the past 10 yrs, I'd say the 99%is pretty accurate. What's wrong with giving a minority coach a chance. You cant say that when coach Trooper Taylor goes into the home of a HS Senior that he has more in common with that kid than Lebo did.

Seeing Scott Polhman is the last white player to start in the past 10 yrs, I'd say the 99%is pretty accurate. What's wrong with giving a minority coach a chance. You cant say that when coach Trooper Taylor goes into the home of a HS Senior that he has more in common with that kid than Lebo did.

You said all collegiate bball players which makes the statement not accurate. Just watch the ncaa tournament and you will see white players all over the floor, just ask Kansas who got beat by an all white starting 5. I never said anything was wrong with hiring a minority but the color of the skin shouldnt have a factor in any form with who auburn hires. It should be based on coaching ability and that coach's past recruiting history. And by your example its amazing that Calipari, Roy Williams, Coach K, Beiham, Calhoun, Barnes, Bill Self, Jay Wright, Donavan etc continue to out recruit the Jeff Capels, Oliver Purnell, Anthony Grant, John Thompson, and other minority coaches out there.

And lets face it, Lebo, Trooper, and whoever else you want to name have nothing in common with 16-18 year olds they are recruiting. If having the same skin color of a recruit was a big advantage as some people seem to believe than why are the top recruits not flocking in droves to these coaches?

And like I said i just want Auburn to hire the right coach regardless of skin color based on that coaches resume(unlike the last lebo hire). I would love to see Tony Barbee as the next head coach but would also hate to see auburn hire an uproven minority assistant just because they are a minority.

You said all collegiate bball players which makes the statement not accurate. Just watch the ncaa tournament and you will see white players all over the floor, just ask Kansas who got beat by an all white starting 5. I never said anything was wrong with hiring a minority but the color of the skin shouldnt have a factor in any form with who auburn hires. It should be based on coaching ability and that coach's past recruiting history. And by your example its amazing that Calipari, Roy Williams, Coach K, Beiham, Calhoun, Barnes, Bill Self, Jay Wright, Donavan etc continue to out recruit the Jeff Capels, Oliver Purnell, Anthony Grant, John Thompson, and other minority coaches out there.

And lets face it, Lebo, Trooper, and whoever else you want to name have nothing in common with 16-18 year olds they are recruiting. If having the same skin color of a recruit was a big advantage as some people seem to believe than why are the top recruits not flocking in droves to these coaches?

And like I said i just want Auburn to hire the right coach regardless of skin color based on that coaches resume(unlike the last lebo hire). I would love to see Tony Barbee as the next head coach but would also hate to see auburn hire an uproven minority assistant just because they are a minority.

I think that your argument about recruits don't care about the color of a head coach's skin is compelling, but I also think that we would do well to take any legal recruiting advantage that we can. It doesn't have to matter for every kid, but if it matters for one or two each year, that's significant for basketball.

On the other hand, your power of observation seems severely weak. Watch the teams from the South (which happens to be where Auburn University is located). Saying that 99% of the players are black may be a bit high, but it's pretty close. There is a different dynamic down here than in, say, Utah or Northern Iowa.

If anyone thinks that NCAA Men's basketball teams are 99% black then he/she is not very smart. Instead of just making up numbers it is okay to actually use facts. The NCAA says that in 2006-7 NCAA Men's basketball teams were 32.5% white and 60% African-American.

Press here and scroll to Table 77

If anyone thinks that NCAA Men's basketball teams are 99% black then he/she is not very smart. Instead of just making up numbers it is okay to actually use facts. The NCAA says that in 2006-7 NCAA Men's basketball teams were 32.5% white and 60% African-American.

Thanks for finding that. All I Could find earlier was a 1997 SI article that quoted 61% were black.

Applying these statistics to a particular school's situation is not very helpful. Again, we would do well to take a deeper look than the general statistics for Division I basketball. For example, there are probably regional pockets where white players outnumber black players. In the southeast, our context, the number of black athletes far exceeds the number of white players.

How many SEC teams start a white player? I think two (Vandy & Florida) out of the six teams in the SEC East start white players. Does any team in the SEC West start a white player?

The 99% comment was way off because there are good white players in the game now as well, even in the NBA (Kevin Love, Steve Nash... Canadian but played American college ball, Jason Williams... been in the league as a key player for a long, long time, Troy Murphy, David Lee... about to paid, Chris Kaman... all-star whether he deserved it or not, Chris Anderson, Kirk Hinrich, etc.

BUT the whole "why aren't these black coaches out-recruiting the white ones" argument is silly. Maybe it's because the white coaches are all manning the best programs?? Maybe. You think? A little? And who's to say some of these guys are not out-recruiting some of their white counter-parts?

Anthony Grant has one year under his belt at Alabama, but at VCU he was able to recruit Eric Maynor who was worlds better than the point guards Coach K brought in to Duke. Maynor proved it by tooling on them in the Tourney and actually making the NBA where he's a key back up for a playoff team as a rookie.

Jeff Capel put VCU on the map. Then he went to Oklahoma where he recruited Blake Griffen and Willi Warren (both high school All-Americans) to a place that's not a traditional power.

John Thompson III brought Gtown out of the dumpster by recruiting Jeff Green (All-American and NBA starter for a playoff team), Greg Monroe (future top 10 pick), Chris Wright (high school All-American), and Hollis Thompson (high school All-American who started as a frosh this year). I'd say he's doing a bang up job recruiting.

I'm not saying they're better or worse. I'm just saying some of the guys you listed are phenomenal recruiters, and they're doing a bang up job at places more difficult to recruit than Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, or Duke.

The 99% comment was way off because there are good white players in the game now as well, even in the NBA (Kevin Love, Steve Nash... Canadian but played American college ball, Jason Williams... been in the league as a key player for a long, long time, Troy Murphy, David Lee... about to paid, Chris Kaman... all-star whether he deserved it or not, Chris Anderson, Kirk Hinrich, etc.

BUT the whole "why aren't these black coaches out-recruiting the white ones" argument is silly. Maybe it's because the white coaches are all manning the best programs?? Maybe. You think? A little? And who's to say some of these guys are not out-recruiting some of their white counter-parts?

Anthony Grant has one year under his belt at Alabama, but at VCU he was able to recruit Eric Maynor who was worlds better than the point guards Coach K brought in to Duke. Maynor proved it by tooling on them in the Tourney and actually making the NBA where he's a key back up for a playoff team as a rookie.

Jeff Capel put VCU on the map. Then he went to Oklahoma where he recruited Blake Griffen and Willi Warren (both high school All-Americans) to a place that's not a traditional power.

John Thompson III brought Gtown out of the dumpster by recruiting Jeff Green (All-American and NBA starter for a playoff team), Greg Monroe (future top 10 pick), Chris Wright (high school All-American), and Hollis Thompson (high school All-American who started as a frosh this year). I'd say he's doing a bang up job recruiting.

I'm not saying they're better or worse. I'm just saying some of the guys you listed are phenomenal recruiters, and they're doing a bang up job at places more difficult to recruit than Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, or Duke.

OU isn't exactly a dump school either. Having won 20 conference championships, and not missed post season play since 1980 with a majority of those entries in the big dance, enough so to put them in the top 20 for all time appearances.

Though they did suck this year. My stats based 2009 and before.

Point taken. But Capel has been as good a recruiter as nearly anyone at a Top 20 but not Top 10 school right? I mean Blake Griffen and Willie Warren would've got prep to pro if not for the rule change preventing it (Willie definitely would've; Blake maybe). He's a mean recruiter. Personally, I don't think it's because he's black. I'm just saying the example doesn't hurt the "black guys are better recruiters" argument.

I think it comes down to the personality of the individual to be honest. Maybe with the recruits that color is a factor, or for their parents (which could swing both ways).

Archived