Mike Blakely

RunInRed

This is an AU/UF race with Florida holding a slight lead. Let's see if we can make a run at Blakely down the stretch...

From everything I have read it looks to me like Mike is getting slowplayed by Florida. They appear to have someone ahead of him on their board and are holding off on taking RB commitments until they see where they stand. Wilder was one of those other back on their board and he fell to FSU last week. Blakely may fallin our laps if UF finds a back they like better. Hart may fall into our laps as well if Rich Rod's O doesnt impress this year or if he gets fired. I think Auburn would gladly accept either or both of their commitments right now if they wanted to make that leap.

Well, Fla's first choice was Mike Bellamy, who committed to Clempson, but they're still going after him. They've always been going hard after Savon Huggins, who I think they'll get, but when Bellamy pledged to Clempson, Blakely became one of their main targets, and since Blakely grew up a fan of Fla that will make it that much harder for our staff to get him.

Now Wilder, I've read different things about him, but I saw a quote from his dad the yestserday and from what it sounds like, even though Fla publicly said they were recruiting him at RB, they were more interested for him to be a LB in private, while Fla St said they definitely wanted him at RB, which is what Wilder wants to play. I think the kid ends up at LB by his soph year, but it's a moot point if he stays at FSU, since that keeps another RB spot open at Fla. Fla wants to get Blakely and Huggins at this point.

James Wilder's recruitment is far from over IMO. If FSU starts the season out sucking, he might come to his senses and decommit. UF is still going after Bellamy. He's their #1 target at RB even though he's committed to Clemson. There were rumors a while back that he was already wavering on his commitment. Many people think he won't end up at Clemson. Huggins has some interest in Florida, obviously, but many sources say that it's going to take a lot to get him away from Rutgers. Blakely will most likely be UF's RB in the end.

15 rushes, 160 yards, 4tds with 5:13 left in 3rd quarter. This kid is AWESOME!! He is tearing up the ESPN #2 ranked HS team. He is very quick with great footwork. He would be a perfect fit in CGMs offense with OMac and Dyer.

This is an AU/UF race with Florida holding a slight lead. Let's see if we can make a run at Blakely down the stretch...

From everything I have read it looks to me like Mike is getting slowplayed by Florida. They appear to have someone ahead of him on their board and are holding off on taking RB commitments until they see where they stand. Wilder was one of those other back on their board and he fell to FSU last week. Blakely may fallin our laps if UF finds a back they like better. Hart may fall into our laps as well if Rich Rod's O doesnt impress this year or if he gets fired. I think Auburn would gladly accept either or both of their commitments right now if they wanted to make that leap.

Auburn is the only school to offer the starting QB at Manatee would be nice if that turned into a combo after watching the game.

Plant (James Wilder, FSU commit) vs. Manatee (Mike Blakely) replay is on ESPNU right now...

A few updates on Blakely's night via Twitter randomness...

Mike Blakely 17 yard TD run. Manatee up 42-17 over Plant. Blakely putting on a show.

Not surprised to hear about Blakely's big night. Love the kid as a player, lot of people sleeping on him. That'll change.

Mike Blakely will get the highlights, but the star of the 1st half here at Manatee is 2011 DT Quinton Pompey.

Manatee dominating Plant 28-7.. Blakely looking solid and it's obvious from the sideline that he's a great leader

I love James Wilder, kid's a stud, but Blakely just made him look foolish throwing him off.

Wow, blue-chip RB prospect Mike Blakely just made a fantastic run. He is putting on a show. Tampa Plant is now down 21-7 on ESPN.

Mike Blakely is having a huge game, scoring on a long TD, and just shrugged off the nation's #3 player James Wilder off to the side.

Contributors: @JHokanson, @bartonsimmons, @ThaRinger, @LauraMcKeeman, @BFeldmanESPN

For a preseason game with this much hype, it wasn't much of a contest. Plant, the top-ranked high school football team in the country, was battered, bruised and beaten by Bradenton Manatee, the team the Panthers defeated to capture last year's Florida Class 5A state championship. Led by dynamic senior running back Mike Blakely, the Hurricanes dominated the kickoff classic in stunning fashion, with a 48-10 victory that served notice that Manatee will once again be a force to be reckoned with on the gridiron.

Prior to the game, which was televised nationally on ESPN, the network's national recruiting director had said he viewed Blakely as a better running back prospect than Plant's James Wilder, Jr., who has been listed as the top recruit in the nation by several outlets and who recently committed to Florida State with a much-publicized announcement. Friday night, Blakely looked worthy of the praise, with 146 rushing yards, three rushing touchdowns and a touchdown pass. On one play, the Hurricane broke several tackles, including an effort by Wilder to strip him of the ball, en route to a weaving, winding 90-yard score.

Read more...

It was just a Kickoff Classic, but WOW did running back Mike Blakely shine in Bradenton Manatee's 48-10 rout of visiting Tampa Plant in a game nationally televised by ESPN.

Plant came into the contest ranked No. 2 nationally in the ESPN RISE poll, but No. 19 Manatee totally stole the show.

Blakely, who recently said he would choose among Florida, Auburn and South Carolina, clearly outplayed Plant RB James Wilder Jr., who has verbally committed to FSU.

Manatee's defense shut Plant down after allowing an 80-yard TD pass on the opening play of the game. Plant QB Phillip Ely, an Alabama commit, suffered an ankle injury and did not play much of the game.

The game was a rematch of last year's Class 5A championship game.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/recruiting/blog/2010/08/blakely_manatee_outshine_plant.html

- RB Mike Blakely | 5'9, 193 | 2011

Strong, compact runner. Has added some nice upper body strength the past 10 months

and is playing at an ideal weight right now. Great ball placement when securing

the football -- don't expect too many fumbles with those fundamentals. Always

runs with good balance and strength -- will move a pile forward. Very impressed with

his overall feel for the game. He's not a burner with amazing top end speed, but

he's very quick and elusive in confined areas. Good blocker, great hands,

complete back. No question in my mind that he can be a workhorse (20 carries a

game) back at any of the top schools in the country. Should be able to contribute

as a true freshman if needed.

http://tharinger.com/site/Plant%20Manatee.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder, Blakely will be taking an official visit to AU this weekend. He claims AU and Florida as his leaders.

Hopefully he commits on the spot! haha I really hope we get this kid and Hart.

Archived