Chizik has no chance to succeed

GreenDrazi

None of that really matters, however, because Chizik has absolutely no chance of succeeding at Auburn. Zero. It's hard enough to walk into a rebuilding situation at an SEC school -- where the competition is ruthless, where you're going head-to-head with one of the best recruiters in the sport (Saban) and where the fans are notoriously impatient. Any coach who inherited this job was bound to struggle for the first couple of years, which made it all the more important for him to have the support of the community.

Chizik, it seems, has almost none, which means every little misstep he incurs -- the first bad loss, the first questionable decision -- is only going to fuel the skeptics that much more. It's going to take some sort of immediate miracle (like somehow turning a 5-7 team with no quarterback into SEC champions overnight) to win over the public.

"This is a lost cause," noted Alabama radio personality Paul Finebaum said on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" Tuesday. "He is a dead man walking."

On that same program, a panelist suggested Chizik to be "the worst college football coaching hire since Gerry Faust," the ill-fated Notre Dame coach whom the school plucked from a Cincinnati high school in 1981.

I don't think you have to go back that far. Chizik's hiring is extremely reminiscent to that of Florida's Ron Zook in 2002.

The complete article:

Chizik has no chance to succeed

A friend just reminded me of this article from Mandel after we hired Chizik and I thought I would post it for a good laugh. IMHO, this article was right up there next to the heckler at the airport. :roflol:

And here’s an old thread concerning the article.

Nice find. I remember reading that article and getting PO'd at Mandle at the time. I expect mindless blather from Finescum but you'd think a national writer would have a little courtesy if nothing else.

I wonder how that crow tastes about now?

Archived