Jay Cutler

Duder

I saw all the tweets and stuff and of course ESPN has blown it up and talked about it all day, including before the MCL tear revelation. Rome did a segment today on it too.

This stuff is out of hand. Yes, Cutler is a tool and has shown a history of questionable character since leaving college, but a torn MCL is a big deal. They typically don't operate on MCL injuries if possible because it is a difficult surgery and difficult surgery. The MCL bends; it is a tough fix. Most of the time they let it scar over. If he had continued playing, which was feasible, he could have wrecked it forever. Shame on ESPN for their perpetual reporting of the tweets from other NFL players before knowing the facts. It is one thing for the players to say it, it is another for ESPN to plaster it all over the place.

I saw all the tweets and stuff and of course ESPN has blown it up and talked about it all day, including before the MCL tear revelation. Rome did a segment today on it too.

This stuff is out of hand. Yes, Cutler is a tool and has shown a history of questionable character since leaving college, but a torn MCL is a big deal. They typically don't operate on MCL injuries if possible because it is a difficult surgery and difficult surgery. The MCL bends; it is a tough fix. Most of the time they let it scar over. If he had continued playing, which was feasible, he could have wrecked it forever. Shame on ESPN for their perpetual reporting of the tweets from other NFL players before knowing the facts. It is one thing for the players to say it, it is another for ESPN to plaster it all over the place.

Cutler’s MCL is sprained not torn but I agree with you. I think he’s a tool but I don’t feel like he should be criticized for leaving the game. He was injured and playing very badly.

Cutler’s MCL is sprained not torn but I agree with you. I think he’s a tool but I don’t feel like he should be criticized for leaving the game. He was injured and playing very badly.

A sprain is a stretching injury to a ligament, that can include tearing. Depending upon the severity of the tear, a tear can often be classified as a sprain. The official diagnosis was a grade II sprain, which does include tearing.

For those that have never suffered ligament damage to a knee, he appeared healthy because there was no outward signs of distress. However, even on TV I could see a great deal of lateral instability when they were checking his knee on the sidelines. I'm not saying Jay Cutler has a fantastic work ethic or that he's a great teammate. However, people that don't know what they're talking about (other NFL players, ESPN reporters, etc.) should keep their mouth shut. Any instability in the MCL would have an immediate impact on his ability to plant and drive the ball. For a QB, footwork is crucial to success. He wouldn't have felt comfortable running out of the pocket if he'd needed to; had he continued to play he would've been a liability to his team. If I were the coach I would've considered pulling him anyway. He was playing like hell.

i thought Smith made the right decision by pulling Cutler and going with the backups.

Archived