Plainsman article taking AU by storm

jaredm2012

Any of y'all read this? What was a simple opinion article has spread like wildfire and people are getting way offended over this.

Come on ladies (and gentlemen), we can do better Read more: The Auburn Plainsman - Come on ladies and gentlemen we can do better

Let’s take a journey together. Imagine, if you will, that you’re walking down the concourse. In the five minutes it takes you to walk across the pavement, numerous people’s poor clothing choices assault your eyes.

The first offender: The L.A.N.P. a.k.a. Leggings Are Not Pants.

They’re not! Leggings are appropriate to wear under a short dress or a tunic top, not a T-shirt and NOT those little sorority shirts with the tiny pockets on the front. What are those pockets good for anyway? What can you fit in there? A quarter? Congratulations, you’re a fifth of the way to doing a load of laundry. Or maybe you could fit some Cocoa Krispies in there in case you need a tiny snack. Eh, that’s all you can eat anyway. You’re in a sorority.

The second offender: The Nike shorts addict.

It has become unsettlingly common to see girls wearing their precious Nike shorts IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER with hose or leggings underneath.

Really? It’s 30 degrees outside, you might want to consider buying some pants. I promise your Nike shorts won’t disappear in the drawer over the winter. The Nike gods will not smite you for leaving them in your dresser for more than a day. They’ll still be there in summer, when it’s actually appropriate to wear them.

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this trend is the amount of clothing it requires on the lower half. Underwear + Hose + Nike shorts (that have built in underwear)? That’s way too many layers for that area! Let it breeeeathe, ladies!

Also, underwear over pants is reserved for superheroes and confused toddlers.

The third offender: Frat Boy dress.

And you thought I was going to leave out the boys, didn’t you?

You boys really like your visors. You wear visors when it rains, when it’s cloudy, and if there was a tornado, the winds would take your life before you let them take your visor. If you keep this up, you will get a reverse bald spot. NOT. ATTRACTIVE.

Another puzzling Frat Boy fashion statement is the “croakie and sunglasses” look... all the time. It was definitely cloudy almost every day last week, and you boys still had your sunglasses hanging from your neck. I guess that would come in handy if the sun decided to make a three second surprise appearance. Then you could throw your sunglasses on and be all, “Bitch, yes! I prepared for this!” or something equally obnoxious.

The final offender: XXL Shirt Lovers.

Are you going to bed? Because there is no other reason to be wearing a shirt that large. It’s not cute. You could hide like, four guns under those things. Clearly, these hideously huge shirts are a danger to the Auburn campus. If this was high school, they would make you tuck that s*** in.

The worst part is, we all know you chose that shirt on purpose. They weren’t out of extra smalls. You thought it would be super adorable if you wore a massive top instead of one that actually fit you.

For goodness sake, dress for your body. It takes just as much time to put on that sloppy shirt as it does to put on jeans and a cardigan.

That concludes our journey across the concourse. It’s amazing how much you see in such a short amount of time. I’m only sorry that you can’t UN-see it.

Read more: The Auburn Plainsman - Come on ladies and gentlemen we can do better

I personally agree and thought for the most part the piece was pretty funny, but a lot of people are seriously getting offended over this.

These article pop up almost every year. I guess we are supposed to be amateur weatherman to know if the sun is coming out later while we are on campus. Obviously having sunglasses in case is horribly offensive.

Also, apparently you can only wear a visor to block sun. Not because you like the look. Function only people.

If it's raining during the day, I find wearing my polarized sunglasses actually helps visibility to some extent while driving. Perhaps it's just a figment of my imagination that it helps or I'm just trying to look cool.

If it's raining during the day, I find wearing my polarized sunglasses actually helps visibility to some extent while driving.

I have found the same thing too B)

Perhaps it's just a figment of my imagination that it helps or I'm just trying to look cool.

:roflol:

FTR I'm very difficult to offend by manner of dress. In my opinion, if you want to look like a tool, or a wannabe gangsta, or an unpaid prostitute, or a preacher, or a businessman, or anything else, go right ahead...it doesn't affect me in any way. Live and let live :thumbsup:

I mean she is paid (in some capacity) to write.

The fact people are debating it means she did her job. The Plainsman I'm sure is very pleased.

If it's raining during the day, I find wearing my polarized sunglasses actually helps visibility to some extent while driving. Perhaps it's just a figment of my imagination that it helps or I'm just trying to look cool.

I wear sunglasses almost everyday, my eyes are super sensitive to light and I can't drive without them during most days.

I think she was more referring to hanging them around your neck I suppose. I always have them with me. Just not hanging off my neck :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm not meaning to start anything, I just thought it was funny that so many people were getting seriously offended over one person's opinion. Crazy world, eh?

I wear sunglasses almost everyday, my eyes are super sensitive to light and I can't drive without them during most days.

I think she was more referring to hanging them around your neck I suppose. I always have them with me. Just not hanging off my neck :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm not meaning to start anything, I just thought it was funny that so many people were getting seriously offended over one person's opinion. Crazy world, eh?

I used to hate sunglasses...until I finally got sick of the headaches caused by the sun. :lol:

If I'll be in one place for an extended amount of time, I just leave them in the car or put them on the counter somewhere. But if I'm running into a store or something, I'll just leave them around my neck because I'd just be putting them back on as soon as I walk out of the building. Definitely found it a bit silly seeing people wearing them later in the evening around their necks. "Did you really not have time to run home and take them off or just leave them in your car?"

Folks wearing shorts when it's below 32 and windy... here's your sign. I get how some runners want to show off and prove to anyone who cares that you're REAL tough....but knock it off. It's stupid, and everyone thinks you're an idiot.

But even worse, are those clowns who aren't even runners. I don't care if you're from Gnome, Alaska or Bismark, N.D., put some damn pants on!

<_<

I thought it was hilarious. Almost none of those sartorial options are bad, but there's a time and place for everything. Some guy at church this past week was wearing the sunglasses with croakies deal...with a suit and tie. Looks ridiculous.

Only time I keep my sunglasses on Croakies is when I'm in the gulf fishing. Can't be losing my Solar Bats to the sea!!

Folks wearing shorts when it's below 32 and windy... here's your sign. I get how some runners want to show off and prove to anyone who cares that you're REAL tough....but knock it off. It's stupid, and everyone thinks you're an idiot.

But even worse, are those clowns who aren't even runners. I don't care if you're from Gnome, Alaska or Bismark, N.D., put some damn pants on!

<_<

I do it all the time and couldn't give a rats rear who it bothers. The fact that it bothers anyone is humorous. "I'm cold, so you should wear pants". I am just a hot natured person and can't stand putting on excessive clothing for outside just to go inside and be cooked alive by the heating system. I can tough it out in the freezing cold for a long time to avoid sweating it out for hours inside. I wear a jacket maybe 2-4 days out of the year and sometimes less. Stew on that, lol.

The article, like most college pieces, is childish in many ways, but slightly funny in places.

I do it all the time and couldn't give a rats rear who it bothers. The fact that it bothers anyone is humorous. "I'm cold, so you should wear pants". I am just a hot natured person and can't stand putting on excessive clothing for outside just to go inside and be cooked alive by the heating system. I can tough it out in the freezing cold for a long time to avoid sweating it out for hours inside. I wear a jacket maybe 2-4 days out of the year and sometimes less. Stew on that, lol.

The article, like most college pieces, is childish in many ways, but slightly funny in places.

Oh yeah, you're a real man. I wear shorts most of the year. My personal rule is that anything above 50 is fair game for shorts. Above 40, as long as it's sunny and not too windy, you can get away with it. But when it's in the 20's, windy , and such.... now you're just being ridiculous. Unless you're a real fatty. Which I could understand, generating so much heat, but who wants to see a pair of chubby legs in shorts - EVER ? :no:

As for college, the fashion thing is pretty laughable. Lots of guys wore boxers which came down below their shorts. But at least they kept their pants pulled up.

Oh yeah, you're a real man. I wear shorts most of the year. My personal rule is that anything above 50 is fair game for shorts. Above 40, as long as it's sunny and not too windy, you can get away with it. But when it's in the 20's, windy , and such.... now you're just being ridiculous. Unless you're a real fatty. Which I could understand, generating so much heat, but who wants to see a pair of chubby legs in shorts - EVER ? :no:

As for college, the fashion thing is pretty laughable. Lots of guys wore boxers which came down below their shorts. But at least they kept their pants pulled up.

LOL. You are putting way too much thought into this raptor. I am a big dude, no doubt, but more muscle than fat. Next time it's below 40 outside and I wear my shorts I will reminisce again about just how incredibly little your opinion means to me.

AUslug, this is what we refer to as a tangent.

I think the article is also poking fun at how a lot of the greeks all dress exactly alike.

Some things never change. Same could have been said 25 years ago, and probably has always been the case.

tiger88 - you're right, I was putting too much thought into all that. Granted, I do laugh at folks who wear shorts when there's snow and ice on the ground, but to each their own. However, I think I was listening to Neal Boortz a bit too much, and his attitude sort of rubbed off on my. Just a bit of harmless ranting, 'tis all.

<_<

I agree with this. Being cold and warming up feels so much better than being hot and cooling down. Especially when you are going to be outside for only a few minutes. Even when I was riding the bus to class, I'd rather freeze waiting for the bus than sweat while on the bus.

When I was at Auburn I loved the shorty shorts the frat guys would all wear, just hope and pray they didn't sit behind you in theater type class rooms.

I agree with this. Being cold and warming up feels so much better than being hot and cooling down. Especially when you are going to be outside for only a few minutes. Even when I was riding the bus to class, I'd rather freeze waiting for the bus than sweat while on the bus.

Being cold sucks. When I'm all numb, and the feeling slowly comes back, sometimes my hands get all itchy.

I hate that. Cooling off rocks.

Being cold sucks. When I'm all numb, and the feeling slowly comes back, sometimes my hands get all itchy.

I hate that. Cooling off rocks.

I can tense up all my muscles and stay pretty warm in cold weather. There is no way my body can stay cool in the heat, except sweating which doesn't really work and makes me smell bad.

I'd rather be temporarily numb than wet and sweaty. That is just me though.

I think the article is also poking fun at how a lot of the greeks all dress exactly alike.

Some things never change. Same could have been said 25 years ago, and probably has always been the case.

tiger88 - you're right, I was putting too much thought into all that. Granted, I do laugh at folks who wear shorts when there's snow and ice on the ground, but to each their own. However, I think I was listening to Neal Boortz a bit too much, and his attitude sort of rubbed off on my. Just a bit of harmless ranting, 'tis all.

It's all good. I loved to hear Boortz go off on women who smoke when I lived in Atlanta. I know he pissed off some women with hat talk an prbably still does.

Archived