FRIENDS

I thought the ending was cheesy. I wish something unexpected had happened

Remember how Col. Henry Blake's last episode ended on M*A*S*H? That was unexpected.

That was part of what was unique about mash. Tremendous humor mixed with the numbing reality of war. I liked the way they ended the episode with radar coming into the o.r. to tell everyone. That way you didn't have to deal with all the boo hooing of the cast members after they had learned. Over 100 million people watched the last episode of MASH.

The last couple or so seasons of M*A*S*H weren't that good, but the first ones were always exceptional.

One I liked was when Hawkeye was talking with his psychiatrist friend Sidney after he'd had a nervous breakdown. He kept talking about a woman killing her chicken. He and some Koreans were in a bus when some N. Koreans were moving through and a woman had a chicken that kept clucking and was going to draw attention. Toward the end he realized that it wasn't really a chicken, but it was her baby who was crying and she had smothered it to keep the NK's from hearing it and killing all of those in the bus.

I think that was either a mash tv movie that was made before or maybe after the series was over. I'm not sure, but I actually caught that part on one of the obscure cable channels a few weeks ago or so. I remember hitting info. on the remote and it was like a two hour movie deal. That was pretty powerful no doubt. Repression is the most dangerous of the defense mechanisms of the mind. His mind had tricked him into believing it was a chicken so he didn't have to deal with it, at least temporarily. Obviously running from the memory was driving his ass crazy, until sydney helped him unlock the memory and begin to deal with it.

Archived