Arnold High School Investigation

rexbo

Arnold Investigation Details Payments to Players; Recruiting Violations

Was Eddie Williams, UAT's 5 star recruit, one of these receiving payment?

Were I a betting man, Williams would be a good place to put my money. Where this might fall with the NCAA, who knows? It's doubtful that the NCAA has a rule about high school violations. Unless, of course, Williams himself got money for playing football which would eliminate his amateur status.

In the report linked from the story, on the bottom of page 7, the investigator refers to the benefits going to "the 2 best players on the team" and that both had originally lived in Panama City; which of course both fit Williams. There's little doubt that Eddie Williams is one of those.

Here's a link to the investigation when Arnold originally 'recruited' Williams from a high school in Panama City to play at Arnold in Panama City Beach.

http://www.varsitysportseast.com/articles/fhsaa-1866-arnold-school.html

So if even as a Freshman in high school he was taking benefits to play, what did it take for him to play college football?

Arnold Investigation Details Payments to Players; Recruiting Violations

Was Eddie Williams, UAT's 5 star recruit, one of these receiving payment?

Were I a betting man, Williams would be a good place to put my money. Where this might fall with the NCAA, who knows? It's doubtful that the NCAA has a rule about high school violations. Unless, of course, Williams himself got money for playing football which would eliminate his amateur status.

The NCAA won't have much say so at this point. BUT, the FHSAA will levy serious penalties if proven to be true. Don't think for a second that the FHSAA will sweep this under the rug. They take rule breaking very seriously and deal with such every year.

It makes since that Williams would sign with uat now, doesn't it? I mean, if he's been receiving benefits to play for 4 years, why should he just accept a scholarship to play at a D1 school when he can go to a school like uat where cash, cars, trips, grade changing is the status quo. He's already used to the "process" in high school. I do hope the NCAA checks into those players that have received benefits in high school to see what it took to get their signature. You can bet the cover up dept. at uat is quickly covering their tracks on this one.

You guys dig around everyday trying to find something on Bama. Is this your whole life?

Says the bama fan on the Auburn message board.

You guys dig around everyday trying to find something on Bama. Is this your whole life?

No, I live in PC, it's the biggest sports story in town; and no one was surprised when this amount of blatant cheating was going on, that 'Bama was going to be connected in some way.

Believe me, I wish I never saw anything related to the Updykes and their trashy ways, but even this far away from Tuscaloosa, it's showing up in front of my face everywhere I turn...

You only need to scratch the surface to find shady dealings between Updyke U, High Schools, car dealers, suit salesman, and recruits. No dig permits needed.

Doesn't sound like any digging was needed, unless you now think that passively sitting on one's couch watching the local news is "digging around trying to find something on Bama."

It sounds like a ruling has already been made and nothing was found. Is that true?

No, the report just came out and now I would expect both the local School Board and the FHSAA to take action against the high school. You may be referring to the earlier article from 2009 or so when Eddie Williams first transferred to Arnold High School. Apparently, with all of the things uncovered in this current report, they did a pretty poor job of investigating back then...

There's a neat little trick I do when I don't like the content on a rival's message boards: I don't go to them. You should try it.

I do hope the NCAA checks into those players that have received benefits in high school to see what it took to get their signature. You can bet the cover up dept. at uat is quickly covering their tracks on this one.

A lot of us hope this. But in reality I don't expect it. It's pretty clear what they'd find if they looked into it, that bama is still cheating to high heaven. For that reason I expect they'll continue to look the other way.

It doesn't take any digging. All it takes is a momentary glance in your direction.

This report states that several players may lack required courses. So certain players may not even be eligible to graduate from high school much less enter college on athletic scholarships. The investigation is just starting.

http://www.newsherald.com/sports/results-100471-district-sports.html

This report states that several players may lack required courses. So certain players may not even be eligible to graduate from high school much less enter college on athletic scholarships. The investigation is just starting.

http://www.newsheral...ict-sports.html

Oops.

http://www.newsherald.com/sports/results-100471-district-sports.html

Even Josh Chapman thinks that's messed up

sat down with Arnold head football coach James Hale and his wife, Arnold athletic director Julie Hale,

Anybody else see problem #1 in this whole thing?? The coaches wife is the AD of the HS...blink.gif

sat down with Arnold head football coach James Hale and his wife, Arnold athletic director Julie Hale,

Anybody else see problem #1 in this whole thing?? The coaches wife is the AD of the HS...blink.gif

My thoughts exactly. Also,,,,it's been a long time since I spent time hanging around PC Beach but it seems unlikely to me that a school out there would be a hotspot for college recruiters to go looking for talent. Back when i first heard of E. Williams I thought it was unusual that a HS on PC Beach even had a player that was recruited heavily.

Archived