Women's NCAA Championship meet in Auburn

Mikey

If you're in the area, check it out, it starts today and runs through Saturday. I went to several sessions when the meet was in Auburn in 2003 and it was well worth the time. Of course, Auburn winning that one helped too.

I don't like our chances of winning this one. If real estate is location, location, location, these meets are all about depth, depth, depth. Auburn has 11 swimmers and two divers in the meet and it would be a lot better if we had 18 to 20 swimmers and two divers.

Anyway, the Auburn women have won five national championships, so let's go yell War Eagle! for number six.

I agree...I hope we can get a top 5. The men have a much better chance.

Standings after day two:

1. Cal Berkeley 311 2. Georgia 247

3. Southern Cali 226 3. Arizona 226

5. Stanford 222 6. Tennessee 186

7. Texas A&M 185 8. Auburn 184

9. Texas 146 10. Arizona St 99

We're going to have to hustle tomorrow to finish in the top five.

Final standings:

1. Cal Berkeley 412.5 2. Georgia 366

3. Southern Cali 325.5 4. Stanford 318

5. Arizona 299 6. Texas A&M 262

7. Auburn 249 7. Tennessee 249

9. Texas 201 10. Florida 160

Adrinnea Vanderpool-Wallace did win the 100 freestyle, so she goes out a champ and heads for the Olympics where she will be representing the Bahamas.

Hawk is trying to build depth so we can get at least 13-14 swimmers qualified for the NCAA's. Sure do miss Marsh, but it is what it is.

Hawk is trying to build depth so we can get at least 13-14 swimmers qualified for the NCAA's. Sure do miss Marsh, but it is what it is.

The women had 13 this time. In those years when we won the titles, 18-22 qualifiers was the norm. The way the scoring works, if you have two swimmers finish 7th and 8th, you get more points in that event than a school that had one swimmer finish first.

After the men won the championship one year, a Texas writer was griping that Auburn won a championship without winning a single race. It was all done on depth. That was unusual, we normally do have some first place finishers and the relay teams in particular have won a bunch, but depth trumps a few great individuals.

The men have 11 swimmers and one diver qualified, so I'm not optimistic about their chances. We do need to get the depth built back up.

My bad. I had the mens 11 in my mind when I posted that.

My bad. I had the mens 11 in my mind when I posted that.

Same difference, really. Looking at how that's worked over the past decade or so that I've been following AU swimming, I think a team has to get at least 18 qualifiers in these meets to have a shot at winning. Yes, on paper it can be done with 10 or 12, but for practical purposes more is better.

Archived