The hour glass should be about out on Lebo

SuperFlyEagle

I have watched Lebo the last couple of year continuously put out the same team year after year. They have no fundamentals. I have noticed on several occassions that when AU gets behind (which happens to much) by quite a bit that he just lets his players play and sits down, basically stops coaching. This is the most disgusting scene I have seen. What better time is there to coach your players than in situations that can't be duplicated? Some suggest that the facilities are what's holding the program back, well the women's coach doesnt seem to be having a problem with that, and she is recruiting in the region of the country the most highly ranked teams. I for one think that we deserve better, the players deserve better, and hell.... the university deserves better.

P.S. Lebo is a Jacobs hire, go figure.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is much better than you are making him out to be.  People who know what they are talking about in his profession have nothing but praises for his abilities.  He can coach circles around Gottfried!  I have heard on more than one occasion from people around the SEC that he is one of the best "in game" coaches in the league.  He has had a lot of bad luck, inherited a big mess, and recruiting is very tough at Auburn.  Those are his problems and they may ultimately cost him his job.  We are like Iowa State is in football right now.  It may take someone truly special and unique to turn things around.  By the way, switching gears... I think Chizik would have turned that program around with another few years under his belt there.  I am not just saying that because he is our new coach and I am a homer and all.  Me and Sportstalk had a conversation way before his name was ever brought up as a candidate about how he should get an interview because he is a great coach.  He was on my radar the whole time.  Anyways, sorry for the rant and changing the subject.  HA!

Well first of all I know that Lebo is a great coach.....the only thing I can say is he came into a mess and was trying for the quick fix, went out and got some players that really didn't care about anything at Auburn or education. That was the first problem. Then, last year you had the string of injuries that really killed us. I really think IMO that if they give him 2 more years the basketball program will be turned around b/c last year he had a good recruiting class and this year is a much better one. They are gonna have some players in here. He has done a killer job the past couple of years getting rid of players that weren't here to play Auburn basketball and get an education. I think he has laid the RIGHT foundation with this years Senior class, they have all stuck it out together. I think if Auburn gives the guy 2 more years you will see a new Auburn basketball team. The difference in Lebo and Gottfried is the fact that Gottfried can get the players to Alabama he just can't coach. Lebo can coach GREAT but he is just having a problem getting the good players here but i have seen a drastic improvement the past two signing classes. The signing class last year was good with players that are playing a significant amount of time this year.

PF Johnnie Lett-he went out and signed him for some size and he is getting better and better every game.

SG Tay Waller-he is the best outside threat Auburn has had in years, and has huge games of 20+ points atleast once a week

PG Frankie Sullivan-he is a great PG with great ball skills and loves to have the basketball in his hands, you can see him getting better and better every game. He is will be a GREAT PG for Auburn next year.

C Brendan Knox-he has been a pretty good big man to put in as a back up for when Vot and Lett need rest. He is drastically improving

PF Francis Aihe-he is a good recruit that Auburn is working on making a better post guy. From the start of the season to now i have seen improvement so i can't wait until they get some more size and confidence in him

That is just this past signing class thats not including the GREAT signees they had sign in the early signing period for next year.

SG Andre Malone-Is an awesome basketball player out of the Atlanta area that plays on the same team as the Nations best high school basketball player Derrick Favors. He will be a HUGE asset to our team right out of high school. Malone has the potential of being a top draft pick in the NBA draft after a year or two in college.

Along with him will be:

6'4 185 SG Earnest Ross

6'7 200 PF Kenny Gabriel

6'9 200 PF Robert Chubb

With these two signing classes that I have mentioned here it will put Auburn BACK into the running or the SEC West. If Alabama ends up canning Gottfried after this year I think it will help Auburn in recruiting because it has been along time since Auburn has had more stability than Alabama when it comes to basketball. Just give the guy a chance, because he really hasn't had a fair one yet, and see what he can do with the players he has lined up the next couple years and then come back and talk to me.

Guest auburn warrior

yeah well like i said he did inherit a mess and he gets the right players he could very well get them to competing for the west

But how long can you keep on giving him? He has been here for what 5-6 seasons? And how much better is our program after 5 years? Getting the best players and having a "ranked" recruiting class means nothing without a great coach (ask Notre Dame football). I'm not saying Lebo isn't or can't be a decent coach. I'm saying that he obviously isn't the right fit at AU.

To compare AU basketball to Iowa St football is looney. We have actually had great teams, even ranked No. 1 by Sports Illustrated. I know Cliff Ellis left the team in shambles but how long do we someone who is a "great guy and (allegedly) great coach" when the losses are still piling up?

I believe that a school has to give a coach 3-4 years to get his own players in and to be able to do his/her own thing. Five years later, however, It is time to go unless there has been SIGNIFICANT improvement within the program.

Wow...6'9".  I don't really watch basketball, but even if he's not any good, just putting his arms straight up in the air imagine what he could do.

SO I GUESS I AM LOONEY!  I KNOW A LITTLE BIT ABOUT AUBURN BASKETBALL AND ALOT OF PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME!  NO NEED FOR IMPLYING THAT PEOPLE ARE LOONEY ON HERE, BUDDY.....  SO, I GUESS SINCE YOU KNOW THAT HE IS NOT THE RIGHT FIT THEN YOU HAVE SOMEONE IN MIND THAT WOULD BE WILLING TO COME HERE AND ACTUALLY BE SO MUCH BETTER!  SOME FOLKS NEED TO WATCH WHAT THEY SAY!!!!!!!!

He did inherit a mess, but I kind of agree. Missing foul shot after foul shot is just evidence of not practicing them enough.  Also why continue to shoot 3's when we miss 20 in a row at some points during games.  We either need to recruit better people or coach more to our strengths. 

Then give the poor kids some tips.  The only shot they made this year against Dayton was the one they were trying to miss.  I am being slightly sarcastic because they actually did pretty well to close out and get us back in the game, but this was the game where we missed all of the 3's in the whole first half.  Luckily so did UD. 

Well, after all the overtime put in it looks as though they are getting better with the free throws.  Over the last few games the percentages are climbing!  The guys are starting to gel as one and play much improved basketball.  7 game win streak for the first time since '03.  I think we are gonna win some SEC games guys, maybe even see a postseason birth!!

I have always been a huge fan of AU basketball, (All the way back to when Sonny Smith was coach.)  Up until recently I was on the dump Lebo bandwagon.  I have heard that he is a very good coach and will do well once he gets some good players in there.  I hope the new facilities help attract better recruits.  I loved seeing my beloved AU in the NCAA's.  I want that back.

:wedance:

I would also like to see this site seperate AU basketball from "All other AU sports".  If at all possible, can you dedicate a seperate forum to AU basketball?

Thanks for the great site!  I am loving it!

Yeah we were acutally thinking about doing that.....we were gonna gauge to see how many people talked about basketball and judge it by that but yeah we will get an AU basketball one up here soon

Thank you for the response.  No criticism on the board.  I just prefer to not have to look through various sports to see what's up with the BB team.

Keep up the great work!

:wedance:

I have to say that I will support Lebo this year, but if I see no improvement, then I will be one of the ones calling for his firing.  The USC game was embarassing.  I would think ball handling would fall under fundamentals.  Aren't they teaching that anymore?

>:(

It's only the first half, but we look terrible vs UF.  Just bad all around.  Can't shoot and can't defend.  I don't get to watch much, but if we play like this all year we are gonna be cellar dwellars.  Yuk!  :banghead:

Ausportalk took my camera to the game. I wonder if he has learned how to use it yet ... I gave him a brief run through but you never know about him.

Archived