Enrique Florence - 2011 Prospect

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere else. I just came across it today.

Florence is one of the state's top prospects for the 2011 class.

That familiarity with Auburn has the Tigers in the early lead for Florence, who is expected to be one of the state's top prospects for the 2011 class.

"My favorite is Auburn," the 6-foot-2, 181-pound Florence said. "I grew up an Auburn fan. To me, Auburn football games are the best."

But Florence said he still has a lot to learn about AU's campus and academics. While he hasn't had a chance to spend much time with AU's new coaching staff, he did get to briefly greet defensive coordinator Ted Roof and safeties coach Tommy Thigpen when they dropped by Valley High Monday.

"I was looking forward to it. I really wanted to meet them," Florence said. "It made my day."

Florence already has verbal offers from a number of schools including Auburn, Alabama, UAB, South Alabama, Tuskegee and Jacksonville State. Most of the schools, including Auburn, have already indicated they will send a written offer on Sept. 1, the first day allowed by the NCAA.

"I like recruiting and all but I want to make it a good thing, not a bad thing," he said. "I don't want to get the big head and not do to good."

While Florence grew up an Auburn fan, he plans to keep an open mind when it comes to recruiting. He visited Alabama for their spring game.

"It was awesome," he said. "I got to be on the field with the players. I like the campus. It's nice up there."

Florence said he will camp at Auburn, Alabama, UAB and possibly Georgia this summer.

He was one of a handful of standouts at the recent Elite Action Combine in Vestavia, running a 4.47 40-yard dash.

"I think I did pretty good overall," Florence said.

As a sophomore, Florence intercepted 10 passes. His ball-hawking skills are just one reason recruiters will be flocking to Valley over the next 20 months.

"The coaches say they like a safety that can hit," he said. "I've got a little speed on me and they like my size, but mostly, I just like to hit."

Archived