The Point of Drinking Is to Get Drunk?

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=5729387

LONDON (Reuters) - Germans are Europe's worst binge drinkers with almost one in five believing "the point of drinking is to get drunk," according to a survey Wednesday.

In the past, Britons have been condemned as the continent's prime offenders but the Mintel market research survey of 35,000 people painted a different picture.

"Although the Germans may not go drinking as often as the British, when they do drink, many want to get drunk," said Mintel senior consumer analyst Michelle Strutton.

The survey showed that 17 percent of German adults believe "the point of drinking is to get drunk." This was twice the proportion of adults in Britain who felt the same way.

"The fact that German adults are seemingly more inclined than the British to get drunk could help ease the British reputation for lavish drinking and an over-indulgent pub culture," Strutton said.

But the German Brewers' Association insisted the problem was not widespread.

Its managing director, Peter Hahn, told Reuters: "The majority of Germans are very moderate drinkers. Only a very small percentage don't know how to drink alcohol sensibly. So-called binge drinkers are a very small minority in Germany."

"Germany, like Britain, has a culture of beer drinking that dates back for centuries and so we know how to cope with alcohol," he said.

I don't think the point of drinking is to get drunk.. Sometimes you just don't know when to stop.. I drink to make me have a good time.. I can have a good time without it but I have a better time with it.

What do you all think?

I don't think the point of drinking is to get drunk.. Sometimes you just don't know when to stop.. I drink to make me have a good time.. I can have a good time without it but I have a better time with it.

What do you all think?

Are you 21 yet? :D;)

I rarely get 'drunk'. But I think its because i have a really high tolerance. :o

What do you all think?

Are you 21 yet? :D;)

I rarely get 'drunk'. But I think its because i have a really high tolerance. :o

Na won't be until March the 15th..

Heck I can buy beer on sunday's from more stores than most 21 year olds can here..

I have a pretty high tolerance also.

I usually drink Corona light with lots of lime.. Its so good.

Illegal Illegal! ;)

Corona with lime huh? Whats next...Zima? hehe j/k

Ha.. Na not Zima at all...

I love Corna light but its pretty high.. I get bud, bud light, also..

That's :bs:

I drink because I enjoy the taste. I rarely have more than two in an evening (beers) and only rarely and on an empty stomach, do I feel "buzzed".

I hate the feeling of being drunk. I can remember a couple of times when I was young and stupid, I drank enough that when I closed my eyes, the room felt like it was doing flips. That is not fun. I prefer the mild relaxing feeling a beer or two will give. And it always comes down to taste. If the only beer available is Bud or Bud Light, I'll have a Coke. Life's too short to pay $5-6 for a cup of horse piss, much less actually drink it.

That's :bs:

I drink because I enjoy the taste. I rarely have more than two in an evening (beers) and only rarely and on an empty stomach, do I feel "buzzed".

I hate the feeling of being drunk. I can remember a couple of times when I was young and stupid, I drank enough that when I closed my eyes, the room felt like it was doing flips. That is not fun. I prefer the mild relaxing feeling a beer or two will give. And it always comes down to taste. If the only beer available is Bud or Bud Light, I'll have a Coke. Life's too short to pay $5-6 for a cup of horse piss, much less actually drink it.

What do you drink tt?

When everything starts spinning lay on a bed and hang one leg over and touch the floor.. It will stop instantly...

WAR EAGLE

Guest AuNuma1

Titan, are you one of those types that drink that beer that's as thick as whole milk? I'll stick to the horse piss if those are my two options.

And tu21, Corona Extra is way better than Corona Light. Get the Extra next Sunday and thank me later.

Titan, are you one of those types that drink that beer that's as thick as whole milk? I'll stick to the horse piss if those are my two options.

And tu21, Corona Extra is way better than Corona Light. Get the Extra next Sunday and thank me later.

I really can't tell the difference.. I have been getting like a case and a half of corona light on the weekends.. If I run out I go cheap like icehouse ha.

I usually try not to buy beer here on sunday cus its a no no.. Its more expensive on sundays at the places that do sell it :ph34r:

I do enjoy a good stout or porter, ala Guinesss. But I prefer the microbrewed stuff that's done at a couple of places here in Nashville. What I drink most of the time is Samual Adams. If I'm eating Mexican, I get in the spirit with a Dos Equis or Negra Modelo. Corona doesn't do it for me. And I'm sorry, but Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, and all that crap simply have no taste or they taste what I'd imagine horse piss would be like.

Guest AuNuma1
When everything starts spinning lay on a bed and hang one leg over and touch the floor.. It will stop instantly...

WAR EAGLE

Noooooo...it only stops spinning when you take a trip to the toilet. ;)

Twenty minutes PRIOR to the room spinning is the good stuff!

If you drink wine (like I do, I don't drink beer), then you definitely do not drink to get drunk - it is too dang expensive unless you are drinking the $3.00 screw top varietals... :D

These days, with me not having a drink for over a year, my tolerance is SHOT. Three sips of a top shelf margarita and Jenny is happy happy joy joy. Carl calls me a cheap date. We went to a wedding Sat nite, where the open bar was serving very nice champagne. Katie had bottles fixed at home, so I indulged and it only took three glasses!! I stopped at six and was asleep in the car on the way home. That never used to bother me at all - I just drank champers cause it tasted good!!

For anyone interested - try Moet & Chandon White Star - $25 a bottle at Sam's - world's greatest affordable champagne. i keep a bottle in my fridge at all times for those spontanous special moments, like "Yay! It's Tuesday!!". Much better than Cliquot.

WAR EAGLE

Noooooo...it only stops spinning when you take a trip to the toilet. ;)

Twenty minutes PRIOR to the room spinning is the good stuff!

HA.. Yeahhhhhhhhh

Anyone had any grey goose vodka?

Try this yall:

We call it a waterfall:

Get 1 big beer mug

Pour a bottle of smirnoff ice in the mug.

Pour in some hawaiin punch

get a nice size shot and fill it full of vodka.

Drop it in the mug and kill it..

MMMMMMMMMMm its so good.

I drink Budweiser. It tastes like beer, not water.

My first beer was a coors light.. Right when I started drinking I was drinking bud.. but I switched to budlight and then to corona...

I am a whiskey person, myself. I like beer now and then, but Crown Royal (the only thing to come from Canada that is worth a crap) has better taste than any beer. I will even have Segrams Seven. Occasionally, I will have some Jack Daniels, but I prefer a blended whiskey. And like Jenny said, due to the cost, I can't afford to tie one on when I drink. And the spinning room or "praying to the porcelain god" is for the birds!

If I drink beer, it is usually a light beer (usually Coors Light). I don't mind an Anchor Steam, or Amstel or Heineken (?), but I can't do Guiness. I feel like I just finished a Sunday dinner after drinking it.

As for a night cap, Crown or a Cabernet.

I LOVE wine...im a wine nut.

But I also like crown. But hey mdm, doesnt segrams come from canada too? ;)

Not sure, but Crown is much better! If it is, it's still only two things that come from that hell-hole to the north.

"What can't beer do!" - Hank Hill

I typically buy micro brew beer from the store or by the gallon (take-out) at one of the local microbreweries in town. I can not turn down a fresh beer from a microbrewery restaurant. However, I'll drink just about whatever beer you put in my hand if that's all there is. I'm not picky.

After age 30, I determined that getting drunk just hurts too much the next day, therefore, I drink in moderation (4 beers or less) these days.

Three sips of a top shelf margarita and Jenny is happy happy joy joy.

Is that sips or shots, Jenny seems like a shots kind of girl. ;)

I gotta' say, TU21 is ruining my image of him every day. First the picture of him holding up a couple of hotties and now the all night bingers. :D:D:D

You're a freak 21. B)

Three sips of a top shelf margarita and Jenny is happy happy joy joy.

Is that sips or shots, Jenny seems like a shots kind of girl. ;)

That was actually three sips - Jenny USED to be a shots kind of girl, that is, B.K. (before Katie). I was famous for my tequila shots consumption at one time in my misguided youth. I am a big tequila conessieur - now that I can actually afford good tequila - Patron Silver is my fav, esp chilled, for sipping. Yes, for sipping - you shoot cheap tequila so you won't taste it! :lol: Patron is TOO expensive for anything other than sipping or for a nice top shelf margarita on the rocks, no salt. You should also never use good tequila in a frozen margarita - you never taste it, so why waste the good stuff?

Ahhh, another advantage of living in TX - people who REALLY know how to make a good margarita... lime fresh squeezed over the ice is the first step... :wub:

Archived