Scott Drew Of Baylor Would be a good hire

Droxside

Scott Drew Of Baylor would be a very good hire. Here is an excerpt from his bio..."Drew's recruiting success (three of his first four classes were rated among the top 20 nationally), particularly under less-than-ideal circumstances, has stocked the program with top-100 national prospects and provided optimism to Bears fans."...

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/drew_scott00.html

His Baylor Bears beat No. 6 Texas today. He has brought Baylor back from the scandal of 2003. This guy can coach and rebuild a program. He was offered the Memphis job after Calapari went to UK.

:we:

His Baylor Bears beat No. 6 Texas today. He has brought Baylor back from the scandal of 2003. This guy can coach and rebuild a program. He was offered the Memphis job after Calapari went to UK.

Sounds good to me.....I'm scared the win over bammer today will get CJL another year.

Sounds good to me.....I'm scared the win over bammer today will get CJL another year.

I thought about that as well at first, but I just do not see any way Jacobs can keep him as head coach considering the time he has been head coach and the state of affairs with the 2010 team, I think beating Bama is not nearly enough, although I enjoyed it thoroughly. Considering that Auburn just spent $92.5 million on the new arena, offering the right man top dollar would be in order to get a consistent winner in such an important and visible sport. Considering what Drew has accomplished starting with major restrictions at Baylor with recruiting, winning and coming from a basketball family as well as at Valparaiso before, he would not only stabilize the program, he would make Auburn a consistent tournament team. There are definitely other worthy candidates, but he is winner and Auburn would be the better for having him. Let me finish by saying I like Lebo a a person and do not doubt that he will rebound and be a better coach in the future starting fresh somewhere else given the opportunity, but he has lost any control he had on this team, both sets and talent and both parties need a change in the worst way. Wait until the season is over and make a strong pitch for Drew or a coach with a proven past that Auburn people deserve....WDE    

Drox,  I think you and I are on the same page and I hope that JJ feels the same way we do.... I will be very disappointed if JJ goes out and hires another high school coach for a new $92.5 million arena.

interesting... kinda funny how your thinking about this when we have more games left to play.

cant this wait until after the season?

Let me answer this as well...Absolutely it should wait until the end of the season. Lebo has been nothing but professional and deserves to be treated as fairly as possible regarding a change by all Auburn people. This does not mean that Auburn people should not discuss it amongst ourselves and every point of view should be respected. Once the season is complete I personally believe that he should be replaced based on the current direction of the team and time he has had. I actually think it will be good for him in the long run a well as I expect Williams to hire him as an assistant at North Carolina where he can catch his breath for a year or two then move on to another head coaching position wiser for the experience...WDE

Drox,  I think you and I are on the same page and I hope that JJ feels the same way we do.... I will be very disappointed if JJ goes out and hires another high school for a new 92 million dollar facility.

I agree my friend. Building this new state of the art arena speaks volumes about the intentions of the heads at Auburn to get serious and make basketball a top priority. This can only be done by spending money on a head coach that can take Auburn there. Surely they know this. Judging by the way Jacobs handled the hiring of Chizik and Co., now that the results are becoming obvious, I have complete confidence in his ability to do the same with the basketball program. We will see very soon...WDE

interesting... kinda funny how your thinking about this when we have more games left to play.

cant this wait until after the season?

Let me answer this as well...Absolutely it should wait until the end of the season. Lebo has been nothing but professional and deserves to be treated as fairly as possible regarding a change by all Auburn people. This does not mean that Auburn people should not discuss it amongst ourselves and every point of view should be respected. Once the season is complete I personally believe that he should be replaced based on the current direction of the team and time he has had. I actually think it will be good for him in the long run a well as I expect Williams to hire him as an assistant at North Carolina where he can catch his breath for a year or two then move on to another head coaching position wiser for the experience...WDE

well put buddy

He will be a tough one to land though.  Specially after beating Texas yesterday.  Everybody will be after this guy.

He will be a tough one to land though.  Specially after beating Texas yesterday.  Everybody will be after this guy.

I agree, but I think we should make a serious financial offer to get the right man for the new arena and put Auburn basketball on the map as a consistent winner once and for all. The timing will never be better then right now with said arena being a major drawing point for recruits. He will be tough to get, but if we make the right offer he would have to consider being the head coach at a place that has great people, great facilities and is one of the best places to live for quality of life.

I can't even remeber the last good big man Auburn had. It seems like all we sign are 6-7 or 6-8 guys.

:believe::wedance::zapbama::beatmullet:

Mamadou N'Diye (or something to that effect)....7 footer about the time around or just after the Chris Porter seasons.

Ellis may have gotten into trouble for questionable recruiting and what not.....but at least we competed and were entertaining. Not that Im justifying what he did. But under his coaching we werent a laugher of a team.

I respect Lebo, but he's had 5 years to do something w/ this program. I think its time we moved on now. Fresh blood, a fresh face, new arena, a REnewed program. Its just that simple of a fact.

Lebo can't get anything close to the caliber of talant Cliff had in 99-00 with Doc, Fishback, Dou, Porter, and Bryant Smith ( I know Cliff had a lot of faults too). The arena will help, but the elite players aren't going to come to AU just because we have a new arena. It will take the new arena and the right coach to get the job done. Lebo can't recruit and has no control over his team- they play like a YMCA team just running around playing streetball. I can't hardly watch them anymore, just too frustrating!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, he would be a good hire but is Auburn a better basketball job than Baylor at this point??

Good question, I look at it like this...We just spent $92.5 million on a new arena. Make him one of the highest paid coaches in the SEC and country (whom ever we go after). If you are going to take the first step then you absolutely have to take the 2ND step. Make a serious run at him with cash and incentives and see what happens...

Archived