Scott Drew Of Baylor Would be a good hire

Droxside

I agree, he would be a good hire but is Auburn a better basketball job than Baylor at this point??

Good question, I look at it like this...We just spent $92.5 million on a new arena. Make him one of the highest paid coaches in the SEC and country (whom ever we go after). If you are going to take the first step then you absolutely have to take the 2ND step. Make a serious run at him with cash and incentives and see what happens...

Good points.  I think that IF the powers decide to make a change that will be the selling point. 

'We just built a brand new $92M arena.  We are making a renewed commitment to Basketball.  We want you, ______ ________, to lead our program into the future.  We are willing to make you one of the highest paid coaches in the SEC and the incentives for winning and accomplishing goals will be outstanding.  You will have the full support of the athletic department and the university'. 

I think the attractiveness of that may be stronger than we have previously thought.  There may not be limits as to who we could go after.

I agree, he would be a good hire but is Auburn a better basketball job than Baylor at this point??

In a word, NO. Now we're left with the question, will Baylor match what Auburn is offering?

They probably will. Also, they won't have to exactly match us, just come reasonably close and most guys will stay where they are.

Unless this guy is looking to move for reasons unknown we've got a lot working against us in trying to hire him.

In a word, NO. Now we're left with the question, will Baylor match what Auburn is offering?

They probably will. Also, they won't have to exactly match us, just come reasonably close and most guys will stay where they are.

Unless this guy is looking to move for reasons unknown we've got a lot working against us in trying to hire him.

Then we need to make him an offer and see...Jeff Capel makes a base salary of $1,350,000 per year...Mike Davis Makes $1,550,000 a year...Rick Pitino makes a base of $2,500,000 and gets $3,600,000 with a loyalty clause he signed three years ago...Now lets look at Scott Drew. He gets $413,612 a year base salary...Are you kidding me...You are telling me that we would not have a chance to bring him to Auburn with a brand spanking new 92.5 million dollar  state of the art arena and all around facility if we offered him $1.5 to $2 million a year and he is worth it...Look at what he has done at Baylor. Go back to my very first post on this thread and click the link to his BIO. If Baylor matches the money and he stay, so be it. However, I have been to Waco and to Auburn and he would have to think long and hard before turning down a contract that pays him what he is worth to live in one of the top 10 places to live in the US as said by US world and news in 2009....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Drew#cite_note-0

I posted the link above to show where I got his salary...

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/drew_scott00.html

I posted the link to his BIO above so those who missed it can see it...

The great thing about building a program is you're always achieving firsts. First win over a conference opponent, first road win. It will be nice when we've accomplished them all, but someone once told me to enjoy the journey. I am.

--Scott Drew

"if we offered him $1.5 to $2 million a year"

We won't. We won't come close to that. I'd be shocked if our next coach starts off at over 500k.

Then we need to make him an offer and see...Jeff Capel makes a base salary of $1,350,000 per year...Mike Davis Makes $1,550,000 a year...Rick Pitino makes a base of $2,500,000 and gets $3,600,000 with a loyalty clause he signed three years ago...Now lets look at Scott Drew. He gets $413,612 a year base salary...Are you kidding me...You are telling me that we would not have a chance to bring him to Auburn with a brand spanking new 92.5 million dollar  state of the art arena and all around facility if we offered him $1.5 to $2 million a year and he is worth it...Look at what he has done at Baylor. Go back to my very first post on this thread and click the link to his BIO. If Baylor matches the money and he stay, so be it. However, I have been to Waco and to Auburn and he would have to think long and hard before turning down a contract that pays him what he is worth to live in one of the top 10 places to live in the US as said by US world and news in 2009....

The great thing about building a program is you're always achieving firsts. First win over a conference opponent, first road win. It will be nice when we've accomplished them all, but someone once told me to enjoy the journey. I am.

--Scott Drew

Your number for Mike Davis is nowhere near correct.  His base is $625,000 and then he has some incentives.

--Scott Drew

Your number for Mike Davis is nowhere near correct.  His base is $625,000 and then he has some incentives.

My fault...I meant Mike Anderson...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_%28basketball%29

We won't. We won't come close to that. I'd be shocked if our next coach starts off at over 500k.

You may be right, but spending $92.5 million on a new arena and then paying a head coach half a million is begging for continued mediocrity. it is the equivalent of buying a 5 million dollar piece of land and putting a double wide trailer on it...Makes no sense...

You may be right, but spending $92.5 million on a new arena and then paying a head coach half a million is begging for continued mediocrity. it is the equivalent of buying a 5 million dollar piece of land and putting a double wide trailer on it...Makes no sense...

I agree, we will need to spend the money to get a quality, proven HC.  With the new facility we should be able to lure a medium to big name coach.  You tell him that we have a new commitment to bball and that we want him to lead us into the future of AU bball.  Then you write him a check!!

Spending 92.5 mill on a basketball facility for AU made no sense, but that's a done deal. I'd like to get a first-rate BB coach, I really would. I just don't see it happening.

I agree, we will need to spend the money to get a quality, proven HC.  With the new facility we should be able to lure a medium to big name coach.  You tell him that we have a new commitment to bball and that we want him to lead us into the future of AU bball.  Then you write him a check!!

I agree 100%...Whether it be Drew or anyone else we must open the pocket book up to get the level of coach that it will take to get this thing turned around and make it stick. The new arena is a great step in the right direction and surely shows that Jacobs and Co. are going to see this all the way through. Basketball along with football is big business. I really believe that they have to know that writing the check for the right man is crucial the crucial second step after building the great arena...The money that they spend will come back several fold if they make the step...  

Spending 92.5 mill on a basketball facility for AU made no sense, but that's a done deal. I'd like to get a first-rate BB coach, I really would. I just don't see it happening.

You may be right. They may keep Lebo. I am just voicing my opinion...

I am curious as to why you think it made no sense to spend $92.5 million on the Arena?

I am curious as to why you think it made no sense to spend $92.5 million on the Arena?

Because crowds of 1800 can rattle around BEMC just as well as in a new fancy arena. I hope I'm wrong, but if we don't field a winning program that place will have echos in it.

I would have invested in a coach first and if that paid off, then the arena. I do not think the arena, in and of itself, will bring in higher ranked recruiting classes.

I actually hope we hire an assistant at a university that has made the final four in the past (Duke or UNC). Someone who can recruit and bring this program back

If we go that route this is the guy we should choose.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/montgomery_mark00.html

• 3 weeks later...

I have been preaching Scott Drew for years, especially after his team put us out of the NIT last year.

Drew gets it, and he is in a bad situation in Waco.  I'm sure things can't be easy there and he would like to leave.

1) Private Baptist School.

2) Only thing really known about Waco is the Branch Davidians and Dr. Pepper.

3) Baylor is discussed regularly as a university that the Big 12 should replace.

4) Ken Starr is about the be the President there.  Something tells me he's not a huge athletics fan.

5) Baylor is probably still the fifth best basketball program in that state (lots more competition), he could be number one here in 2 years. 

Why would this guy not want to come to Auburn?

Archived