Anyone going to see the Village friday?

I read an article today stating that the movie was more anti Bush than Moore's film, but on an artistic level... something about breeding hate and fear. And yes, Im sure it was referring to the movie and not the DNC. If I come across it again, I'll link it.

Guest AuNuma1

I'm just going to wait and see the movie first to draw conclusions.

I hope Michael Moore's "artistic" billshut movie doesn't turn into some new trend in the movie industry...I don't care what your political views are and I'm not paying $15 to find out! It's NOT art and you shouldn't be paid for it! hmm.gif

art has been used for statement of political views longer than america has been in existence. it is art, and art is subjective so you don't have to like it (or pay for it in his instance).

and nah, i'll probably catch the movie in the next few weeks, but i'm more excited about the manchurian candidate.

Guest AuNuma1

Dude slapped together some footage of the president, took it out of context, and then calls it art...art my arse. Why not get into politics if you're only intention is to spread your political views? Conservative or liberal, I don't care. Just quit wasting people's time and money at the movies...

Guest AuNuma1

Review - The Village is Shyamalan's best yet.

Personally, I don't think it will be better than The Sixth Sense. That was a good movie. I didn't like Signs at all and I never saw Unbreakable, so...

I am really excited about it. I own all of M. Nights movies(yes even Unbreakable) and can't wait for The Village.

I think it is great how he doesn't want anything to be known about the plot. I personally like not knowing much about the film. I think its gonna blow us away.

bring it on!

The critics are tearing this movie apart. I dont usually listen much to movie critics but it's compelling when they unanimously hate a movie and the reviews are identical. I keep hearing there is a plot twist so predictable and over-used that it's comical.

"… a colossal miscalculation, a movie based on a premise that cannot support it, a premise so transparent it would be laughable were the movie not so deadly solemn." -Chicago Sun Times

"… Shyamalan's weakest story, and its ending — whether or not you're surprised by it — is a genuine clinker." -New York daily news

"… hands down the year's worst film."

-Slant Magazine

"… a watchable film for awhile that unravels in a muddled last act likely to send many opening-weekend filmgoers home head-scratching and grumbling …"

-Variety

Reviews

The critics are tearing this movie apart. I dont usually listen much to movie critics but it's compelling when they unanimously hate a movie and the reviews are identical. I keep hearing there is a plot twist so predictable and over-used that it's comical.

"… a colossal miscalculation, a movie based on a premise that cannot support it, a premise so transparent it would be laughable were the movie not so deadly solemn." -Chicago Sun Times

"… Shyamalan's weakest story, and its ending — whether or not you're surprised by it — is a genuine clinker." -New York daily news

"… hands down the year's worst film."

-Slant Magazine

"… a watchable film for awhile that unravels in a muddled last act likely to send many opening-weekend filmgoers home head-scratching and grumbling …"

-Variety

Reviews

It wouldn't surprise me if these were accurate because any time you become more concerned about conveying a political message than making good art you're gonna lose alot of people.

I was really looking forward to this, but I think I'll let some of you guys see it first.

Saw the movie last night....It was great.....I cant really tell anything about the movie because it will give the whole thing away......It is full of twists and suprises...Thats all I am going to say....

VERY GOOD MOVIE!!! GO SEE IT!!!

Boy, you and bg couldn't disagree more.

MS did you get the political message behind the movie and is this part of why you enjoyed it?

I don't really see how this could be construed as anti-Bush. It's a typical M. Night Shyamalan movie, along the same lines of "Signs." But then again, I'm not constantly looking for something to spark controversy. I think it's ridiculous.

I wasn't thinking it was an in your face anti bush kind of thing. Shyamalan has admitted in the links provided on this thread that there is a clear political motive to this movie. I am wondering if that message came through loud and clear or if it was more subtle. I'm just curious.

I loved signs but some of the reviews for thjis are making me wonder if I should wait for the dvd rental.

Signs was a much much better flick.

Thats what I'm guessing so far. I mean signs was #1 at the b.o. for like 7 or 8 weeks in a row. That is the sign of a great movie afa the public in general loving it.

Archived