I'm BAAAACK! Check my blog post on Coaching Compensation, keeping AU staff!

Eagle5

Mates,

My humble apologies for a lengthy sabbatical from bloggery as I dealt with work, family, and (er, hunting season)!  Battery recharged, and I'm back with a vengeance.  I hope you enjoy this piece I've been working on re: a better model for football coaching compensation.  Obviously, after this smashing recruiting success, the retention of this staff is what drives my thesis.

Lengthy, but hey, a fun stomping on the current Rock Star and Roadies model of coaching compensation, and my proposed "Value-Based" alternative.

Don't hate on me Coach Chiz, my goal is to make you every bit as rich - just the "slow" way.  :hellyeah:

Mash the lank here and enjoy!    :party:

http://auburneagle.com/Eagle5/?p=227

E5

I'm a newbie but let me say that was an outstanding analysis! FEDEX this to Jacobs ASAP!

JJ gets emails I send out, so he'll be reading this.  :hellyeah:

Not a bad analysis at all. Seems pretty solid to me. There is only so much a head coach can do, and keeping a solid staff is crucial!

Dead on!  Essentially what I have thought for years but could not so eloquently put into words.  The current system makes absolutely no sense if you want long term success.  A coach who truly gets it would never work for his own raise but only a raise for those who are paid much less underneath him.  If a coach is good, there is no need for a power broker agent working for a huge raise every other year.  The raise will come without asking.  The flaw in this plan is how do you get a head coach to work for less if there is an opportunity to go somewhere else and make more?  You have to have the head coach and administration on the same page here or the coach will leave for "greener pastures".

My approach in Auburn's situation is a little different.  I would name Gus Co-Head coach in charge of offense.  He would be asked to run the offense, coach QB's and not do the rubber chicken circuit.  I get the impression he may not relish the limelight.  CGC would be Co-Head Coach and perform typical head coach duties and I would pay both of them middle of the road SEC HC money in the neighborhood of 2.5M each.  I think the defense would stay strong with CGC's input and hiring like minded men.  I think these two men would love to coach in Auburn until they retire and they would be a force in college football.  As much as I like the other coaches, you cannot expect them to not climb the ladder.  With Chizik and Gus here for good, assistants would knock down the door to come in, learn and move up.

This is as creative as Big Cat Weekend and the Tiger Prowl.  These two would win 14 national championships.  Where did that number come from?  I believe CGC is humble enough to do this.

War Eagle!

Archived