Deja vu next year could mean devastion for the basketball program

SuperFlyEagle

IMO I want Lebo gone. I played ball through high school and some college, and this guy cannot coach X's and O's. He also seems to tank/choke in pressure situations. Regardless of that, I pose this question: What will happen to the program if we are saying the same things about Lebo and playing the same type of ball next year in the new arena?

I ask that because next year, the new arena will be packed out for atleast the first several games or so, and then maybe again for the first SEC games regardless of who is coach (as long as we don't lose to teams like Troy, etc). BUT, if we (Lebo) continues to lose, IMO the new arena will quickly turn into Beard Eaves Jr. Nobody will be going to the games, and we will have lost our most appealing or persuasive bargaining chip for a another coach - breaking in the new Auburn Arena. If we find ourselves having this same discussion next year, not only would we have lost another year to mediocre basketball, but our program would be in dire straights. Finding a legitimate coach would now become that much harder. This seems to be crunch time for Jay Jacobs and the athletic dept. Let's just hope we will not experience deja vu next year. 

Ok... of course we know you want Lebo gone, that is a given.

Secondly, all I can tell you is that time will tell. This season seems to be getting progressively worse, and I do agree that it raises some concern. A team with this many veterans should have bounced back by now and they certainly have not.

With that being said, I just dont see how JJ wont allow Lebo one year in the new Arena to try and get these younger guys ready to go. We do have a solid recruiting class coming in for 2010.

We are 4-6 this year in games decided by 5 points or less, with two over time losses. Its not like the team hasnt competed... they just have closed out some games. They were able to do this last year.

The final thing I will add is that I dont believe we will find another coach whos going to do much better. You can argue with me all day on this, but unless we whip out the checkbook and go after a respected coach... not much will change.

I do believe he will be back... but dont think for one second that I dont understand where you guys are coming from... by wanting Lebo gone. I do understand.

Just throwing in a little insight... but its not worth much

I won't pay to watch this team play as long as Lebo is there. We need a coach who CAN coach AND recruit.

thats immature.. support your team no matter what their record is... are you saying that you didnt support Tuberville when we were 5-7?? come on now

I just don't understand what people sees in lebo.  i'll completely throw out the  first two years because he had problems with ellis's players but the last four we should have seen some improvement. I have seen none.  Still a lousy free throw shooting team, no inside presence and mostly streetball offensive sets usually ending with a three. Look at the younger players that have been out there. Makes me think it could get worse next year.  So what if there will be a new building the court is the same distance and the basket is the same height. If the expectations are no higher for basketball than this they should have saved the 90 million and kept beard eaves open.

I think 6 years is enough time to tell. I think we all can agree that when Lebo is fired we should spend some money to get a quality coach. A coach's salary is an investment in the future of the program. Jacobs has better go after a winner. Its not one bad year that destroys a program its a series of years, six right now. One more year will not be devastating to players and recruiting, but I think it will hurt a lot. First I think much of the fanbase has lost our patience. I think the Ole Miss game alone knocked some fans off the fence. Also a lot of SEC programs are in the process of rebuilding (Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Georgia). If we wait one more year and then get rid of Lebo, that will be another year that we're behind the rest of the SEC. I expect Grant and Kennedy to get Bama and Ole Miss real competative and I think Arkansas and Georgia can improve a lot too. I see no possibility of significant improvment or real success under Lebo so allowing him one more year will just dig us into a deeper hole and set us back even farther.

I think it is certainly time for change. This team has performed at a lower level than some of the high school teams in the state. I guess that is obvious though with teams like Kentucky winning with freshman players from Alabama.

The only thing I could think of is find a coach with a deep AAU connection and have him onboard as a assistant.  I have seen this at a few schools, and with that, you create a pipeline from a certain AAU program.  I know I mention K-State on here, but one of their assistants coached with DC Assault and now 7 players have come to KSU in past 3 years including Michael Beasley.  Connections are the key in sports even.

I won't pay to watch this team play as long as Lebo is there. We need a coach who CAN coach AND recruit.

thats immature.. support your team no matter what their record is... are you saying that you didnt support Tuberville when we were 5-7?? come on now

Westbrook, I think he meant that he wouldn't spend money on tickets to see the bball team play.  This season the tickets should be free.  However they actually cost 20 a ticket.  That's absurd!!!

He still supports the team, just don't want to spend money to see them lose. I agree with him.

Winning=better attendance

It's hard to fire a nice guy, especially a guy who runs a clean program and strives to do everything right and ethically and that is what Lebo has done, and I like the guy and hate that things haven't gone better for him. Having said that, coaches are judged on how many wins they have and how far they take the team into the postseason and Lebo has not done that. I know coming in, he had the odds stacked against him, but it has been six years. If an employee at a company was performing poorly and not getting it done in his job, would that company keep him around much longer? Even if the deck was stacked against that person, he would still be expected to produce results, although he may be the best person in the world. Like I said, I like Lebo and wish that things would have turned out better, and who knows, if he does get ousted and goes to another school, he may take that team to the final four, again who knows? :dunno: :dunno:

Guest Autiger88

sooner or later yall will take my advice and relax... nothing you can do about it. Just wait and see what happens

Relax what is that? Thats to hard for us to do you might as well ask us to fly without wings or a plane its to hard to do. ;D;)

sooner or later y'all will take my advice and relax... nothing you can do about it. Just wait and see what happens

Well it is an AU Basketball forum to discuss all things AU.  I would think with the shape of our program, it is more than apt for us to discuss what will or should happen at season's end.

I would love to relax, but it's hard to do that when we are so bad in BB.

:dunno:

I believe there are two reasons why Lebo is still here.

1. When he came in we were going on probation. The first two years were given to him. Last year bought him some time as it seemed things were turning around.

2. He is off of the "Dean Smith family tree" of basketball coaches. I've seen this happen before. When a team gets a "dean smith family member" they make a big deal of it. Then they end up keeping him longer than they should have because he's a member of the "dean smith family tree" of basketball coaches and they made a big deal out of it. If you fire one of these guys you have made a whole lot of enemies because there are a bunch of these guys around.

Guest auburn warrior

a guy called in sports call last night and said the arkansas game was the only game this team worked together as a team instead of 5 different people.

With that being said, I just dont see how JJ wont allow Lebo one year in the new Arena to try and get these younger guys ready to go. We do have a solid recruiting class coming in for 2010.

We are 4-6 this year in games decided by 5 points or less, with two over time losses. Its not like the team hasnt competed... they just have closed out some games. They were able to do this last year.

The final thing I will add is that I dont believe we will find another coach whos going to do much better. You can argue with me all day on this, but unless we whip out the checkbook and go after a respected coach... not much will change.

I do believe he will be back... but dont think for one second that I dont understand where you guys are coming from... by wanting Lebo gone. I do understand.

Just throwing in a little insight... but its not worth much

Look, there is nothing that says his new recruiting class is any good.  Some offshoot magazine who doesn't even seem to take their rankings seriously had Auburn ranked #5.  None of the major recruiters even have us in the Top 5 of the SEC!  Please stop hanging Lebo's hat on this. 

As for the closing out games, that has a lot to do with the top.  Lebo cannot make the needed adjustments.

Finally, the sooner we start looking, the more likely we will have a quality coach.  We just invested over $90 million in a new arena, I'm pretty sure we're going to invest money in a coach in said arena! 

Any coach would do better.  I would argue out of our last four coaches, Lebo has done the least with what was dealt to him. 

Archived