Caring about B-BALL

5A-au-tiger85

Do we care enough about B-Ball 2 pay a new coach 4 the NEW ARENA ???  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do we care enough about B-Ball 2 pay a new coach 4 the NEW ARENA ???

• yes
    • no
    • yes but economy bad

I do care.... But I dont see the Board of Trustees forking out money 4 a REAL COACH so I'd rather not

lose LEBO who is repectable in Coaching circles, for another flop of a HIRE !!!!!!!!!!!    WDE

Has anyone asked whether Lebo had anything to do with getting the arena built? I mean, if he did, then what message does that send? "Hey, thanks for working your tail off to help get that arena and all, but you're never going to get to coach in it." Given the way we pride ourselves on class and integrity, is that really a befitting move for Auburn?

Has anyone asked whether Lebo had anything to do with getting the arena built? I mean, if he did, then what message does that send? "Hey, thanks for working your tail off to help get that arena and all, but you're never going to get to coach in it." Given the way we pride ourselves on class and integrity, is that really a befitting move for Auburn?

This new arena has been in the plans since cliff, and the reason why we need a new arena is because BEMC is a POS

I went to BEMC for the last game and spent some time looking around. Me and Coach Joe Champi didn't find a damn thing wrong with it.

Let's find a good coach, somebody with promise like Lebo had, and provide an opportunity. Those that think, for example, Rick Barnes will come to Auburn from Texas if we just throw enough money at him are fooling themselves.

Billy Kennedy at Murray State is a great coach and might actually be interested in the Auburn job.

This new arena has been in the plans since cliff, and the reason why we need a new arena is because BEMC is a POS

There were no plans for any new facilities when Ellis was fired and Lebo hired. During the interview process they admitted that where the program was severly lacking was a practice facility. The two basketball teams--along with gymnastics--were all fighting for time on the BEMC floor and this was/is severely hampering these programs. So, if my memory is correct, Lebo and Fortner accepted the jobs with the understanding that this would be corrected. After a year or so passed a study revealed that BEMC would need somewhere around $20-30 million in repairs and improvements simply to keep it operational. This would be all infrastructure and would not really enhance the fans experience. So Richardson and the Board began to look long and hard at replacing BEMC rather than simply building a practice-only facility.

My point to this is that the new arena wasn't the plan originally. And it wasn't built for any coach or coaches. I am sure they were able to give input--how to better make it a real home court advantage and such.

Do I think we have the means to lure one of the top names in basketball to AU? No. In fact, I don't think money will really be a factor. If a coach wants to coach in the SEC and doesn't mind rebuilding a program that has had some, but very little success, and do it at a traditional football school, then he'll come as long as the money is reasonable.

I would think we could make a good hire if we offer $1.5 mil. We will definitely be hurting with all the buyouts and such, but we should also remember that the arena is supposed to come out well under budget. So, I'd hope that would help.

If we aren't willing to pay in the 1.5 range, then we should just be content to be in the bottom half of the league. To me, this is a critical time in Auburn Basketball. They looked long and hard at the facilities and made a very tough decision to commit to the largest (most expensive) building project the athletic department has ever seen. Now, they must make an equally tough decision on what to do about the direction of the program from a coaching standpoint.

I like Lebo and think he is a quality coach. And after 3-4 seasons I still had a great deal of patience. But, on the whole, his body of work after 6 seasons really is unacceptable even at AU. While it is a very difficult job, it is also not impossible.

We have too many things going for us to average less than 6 SEC regular-season wins a season.

WDE!

I am simply taking exception to this statement, because I do not believe it to be true--there was no plan to build a new arena when Ellis was here. There was never any "plan" to build a arena 'til Richardson and others explored it well after Lebo was hired.

WDE!

I went to BEMC for the last game and spent some time looking around. Me and Coach Joe Champi didn't find a damn thing wrong with it.

Let's find a good coach, somebody with promise like Lebo had, and provide an opportunity. Those that think, for example, Rick Barnes will come to Auburn from Texas if we just throw enough money at him are fooling themselves.

Billy Kennedy at Murray State is a great coach and might actually be interested in the Auburn job.

Really? hmm he's not too bad I could see it

Of course I care about basketball. That's why I bang my head on the wall after each loss as I do in football. Whether it's Lebo or Joe Blow, I just want a winning program. Something to be proud of. Something that gives me good memories as opposed to what we have now. It starts with the head coach and trickles down from there. Whomever it is....Just Win Baby!

If Lebo wanted to coach in the new arena, he should have been improving his program.  Did he think it was just a given, since he signed with the understanding that we would build a new arena; that he would get to coach in it regardless of his record?

I don't think it shows AU in a bad light it we fire him before he gets to coach in the arena.  He has had ample time to produce a quality program.

:dunno:

I care about BB. It's sad when we have fans and alum that settle for this over the past 6 years: 4-12, 4-12, 7-9, 4-12, 10-6, 6-10 and his overall record has been padded with cupcakes. We have fans that call this great. H&!! why not shoot for 0-16 every year?

Archived