SAM MITCHELL SHOULD BE AUBURN'S NEXT COACH!

DJ_Hatch

I posted this on another thread, but wanted to start a new topic. Sorry I know there is already one on page 2, and here's a link: http://www.wareagleauburn.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=11215.0  I just wanted to reiterate what has already been said and add to it!!! The search should be over, IMO!  :thumbsup:

Here's what I wrote:

Tony Barbee: Decent choice. He definitely would be fresh blood for a program on life support! I like the Calipari connection, but is he ready to go head to head with his former boss on the court and in recruiting?

Mike Davis: SportsTalk, please take this name off of the list! This is embarrassing!

Mike Anderson: I would be shocked if we could lure him away from Missouri. I don't think it would be impossible, but improbable definitely. If we could, he would be a nice fit.

Frank Haith: Not the right fit for Auburn... plus, I doubt he would leave Miami for Auburn anyway.

This leads me to my pick out of the names that have been bantered about (at least on here), which is Sam Mitchell. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to break something to you here... we are talking about a former NBA COACH OF THE YEAR!!! Did Rick Pitino ever achieve that? In his dreams maybe!

READ HIS BIO HERE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Mitchell_(basketball)

I remember Sam Mitchell as an up-and-coming young NBA coach with a VERY bright future. He took over an abismal Toronto squad, who had dwelled at the bottom of the NBA forever and had been through more coaches than the turds! Mitchell was the first guy to get anything out of that team, and not only that, but he took them all the way to FIRST PLACE in the Atlantic Division in 2007 and SECOND in '08! Sure they lost in the first round of the Playoffs both years, but was that reason for the team to FIRE him after just 17 games into the 2008-09 season? Heck they were just 8-9! I remember when this happened, and I was shocked that they fired him! And I wasn't the only one! There was an uproar in the media (including the TNT crew with our own Charles Barlkey, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson) over the decision to let one of the hottest young coaches go so soon. Since leaving Toronto, Sam has been working with the Atlanta Celtics, the AAU team there. He lives in Atlanta but is from Columbus, and as someone already pointed out, he has already expressed interest in the Auburn job!  :)

Given his experience in the NBA, his not only national, but also international connections, and his knowledge of the local area schools, I think Jay Jacobs should hire Sam Mitchell on the spot, if possible! If anyone can find me a more qualified/better candidate, please let me know!  :dunno:

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!! :we:

I prefer a guy who's currently coaching college basketball and knows his way around recruiting. Barbee is on the top of my list right now.

Being a good NBA coach does not mean he would be a good college coach.  The games are different.  I think if he proved himself at the college level, then he should be given a look.  I just prefer someone who has experience recruiting and coaching on the college level.

:wedance:

Sam Mitchell has proven he can coach plus he is connected with bball in Georgia and the southeast through his AAU connections.  He would be a very good fit.

Being a good NBA coach does not mean he would be a good college coach.  The games are different.  I think if he proved himself at the college level, then he should be given a look.  I just prefer someone who has experience recruiting and coaching on the college level.

I agree. If he is such a hot young coach; why is he only working with AAU teams. There must be a reason no one has picked him up at some level. nothing agains`t him. And also as you stated; he has no college recruiting experience either.

I agree. If he is such a hot young coach; why is he only working with AAU teams. There must be a reason no one has picked him up at some level. nothing agains`t him. And also as you stated; he has no college recruiting experience either.

Maybe because he's lookin for a job at a big time college program or nba team. Just because he doesn't take a job at a mid-major program doesn't mean he hasn't been offered.

I would be delighted if we hired Sam Mitchell. I think he'd be an outstanding choice. That having been said, I'll back whoever JJ hires. Except for Mike Anderson or Mike Davis. Either of those two at Auburn would make me puke.

Maybe because he's lookin for a job at a big time college program or nba team. Just because he doesn't take a job at a mid-major program doesn't mean he hasn't been offered.

Only had one winning season and overall record was 156-189. Don`t see all the hype myself.

Wouldn't it be easier for him to get a big time college program or NBA team if he was at a mid-major program than with an AAU team?

:dunno:

I prefer a guy who's currently coaching college basketball and knows his way around recruiting. Barbee is on the top of my list right now.

Do you know how much "recruiting" goes into drafting for an NBA team? There's a not much difference in offering a $100,000 scholarship to an 18 year old kid and offering $20 million to an 18 year old NBA rookie! (I know that there's a minimum age limit now in the NBA, so don't correct me!) What's every kid's goal who comes to a major program to play basketball? To make it to the NBA... PERIOD!! If you were a 17 year old kid, wanting to make it to make it to the NBA, who would you want to play for?? Tony Barbee, a 38 year old man whose claim to fame is playing for Coach Cal at UMASS and four years coaching in one of the worst conferences in the NCAA... or Sam Mitchell, a 46 year old man, who spent 13 seasons playing for the Timberwolves and Pacers, and 4 years coaching the Raptors, including the 2007 NBA COACH OF THE YEAR AWARD! Trust me! Kids know who Sam Mitchell is! And not only the that the guy if a GREAT coach! Now I'll give it to you, that the college game and pro games are different, but you don't normally see a PROVEN NBA coach coming to a college team! It's typically the proven COLLEGE coach who wants to try his hand at the pros... see Rick Patino, John Calipari (Barbee's mentor), Tim Floyd, P.J. Carlesimo, or even Jerry Tarkanian (coached 20 games in '92 and went 9-11 before getting canned)! Now all of those guys were GREAT college coaches, but they couldn't hack it in the pros! So even the BEST of the BEST sometimes can't cut it in the pros, because it's too difficult! Let me ask it another way... how would you like have... Mike Brown (Cleveland Cavs), Mike D'Antoni (Suns and Knicks), Larry Brown, Pat Riley, or Phil Jackson as our next head coach?? Well these are just a few of the other recent NBA Coaches of Year! IMO, it's much more difficult to handle NBA players and their multi-million dollar EGOS  :cool:  than it would be a bunch of college kids! Plus Sam's been working with high school kids for one of the best AAU programs teams in the country, and has connections with coaches all over the place! Finally, let me put it one more way... If we don't hire Sam Mitchell, the next BIG-TIME college team (possibly another NBA team, if they're smart) IS GOING TO!!! I can promise you there is no "reason" that no one has "picked him up" for another team. He took a year off from coaching, and he will now CHOOSE the job that he wants!

This is of course just my opinion and we can disagree and that's fine! I still love everybody! ;D

Do you know how much "recruiting" goes into drafting for an NBA team? There's a not much difference in offering a $100,000 scholarship to an 18 year old kid and offering $20 million to an 18 year old NBA rookie! (I know that there's a minimum age limit now in the NBA, so don't correct me!) What's every kid's goal who comes to a major program to play basketball? To make it to the NBA... PERIOD!! If you were a 17 year old kid, wanting to make it to make it to the NBA, who would you want to play for?? Tony Barbee, a 38 year old man whose claim to fame is playing for Coach Cal at UMASS and four years coaching in one of the worst conferences in the NCAA... or Sam Mitchell, a 46 year old man, who spent 13 seasons playing in for the Timberwolves and Pacers, and 4 years coaching the Raptors, including the 2007 NBA COACH OF THE YEAR AWARD! Trust me! Kids know who Sam Mitchell is! And not only the that the guy if a GREAT coach! Now I'll give it to you, that the college game and pro games are different, but you don't normally see a PROVEN NBA coach coming to a college team! It's typically the proven COLLEGE coach who wants to try his hand at the pros... see Rick Patino, John Calipari (Barbee's mentor), Tim Floyd, P.J. Carlesimo, or even Jerry Tarkanian (coached 20 games in '92 and went 9-11 before getting canned)! Let me ask it another way... how would you like have... Mike Brown (Cleveland Cavs), Mike D'Antoni (Suns and Knicks), Larry Brown, Pat Riley, or Phil Jackson as our next head coach?? Well these are just a few of the other recent NBA Coaches of Year! IMO, it's much more difficult to handle NBA players and their multi-million dollar EGOS  :cool:  than it would be a bunch of college kids! Plus Sam's been working with high school kids for one of the best AAU programs teams in the country, and has connections with coaches all over the place! Finally, let me put it one more way... If we don't hire Sam Mitchell, the next BIG-TIME college team (possibly another NBA team, if they're smart) IS GOING TO!!! I can promise you there is no "reason" that no one has "picked him up" for another team. He took a year off from coaching, and he will now CHOOSE the job that he wants!

This is of course just my opinion and we can disagree and that's fine! I still love everybody! ;D

Obviously you are way more impressed with Mitchell than some of the rest of us. I can`t call him a proven winner or great coach but it is OK with me if you do. He was 41 and 41 when he was coach of the year. I don`t know why he was let go and frankly don`t care. I`m just saying he doesn`t seem to me to be what AUBURN may be looking for. But isn`t nice to have this great of a forum to talk about it.  And there isn`t any recruiting that goes into drafting for the pros. You have a limited number of folks to look at and you don`t have to sell them on your program. All they want to know is what round are they going in. Also, does anyone know if Mitchell has a college degree? Just wondering.WDE

Sam Mitchell would be great for recruting since he is so close to AAU programs.  He would and could recruit very well.

"Also, does anyone know if Mitchell has a college degree? Just wondering.WDE"

If you're asking this because of the rumor that a college degree is required to be an NCAA head basketball coach, here's your opportunity for fame.

Just post a link to a reputable site quoting this rule. Several have asked for such verification, but up until now none has been provided.

Man, tough crowd.... Is thing thing on? microphone-emoticon.gif

You didn't answer the question... who would you rather play for... a former UMASS player, who coached under Cal or a former NBA Coach of the Year? Still not convinced? Then read this: http://www.nba.com/coachfile/sam_mitchell/index.html

Notice some of the YOUNG players who have tutored under Mitchell... Chris Bosh, Michael Redd, and Kevin Garnett!! Plus learned under George Karl! Also... "although the Raptors finished 33-49 in Mitchell’s first season, the campaign under his direction was highlighted by the implementation of a more up-tempo style of play that saw the team’s points per game average increase by 14.3 over the previous season, the third-highest jump in NBA history."

Repeat after me... it's MORE difficult to coach in the pros than it is in college!!! Why do you think they make MORE MONEY in the pros?  ;)

Oh yeah... and to the guy who asked if Mitchell had his degree from Mercer... Well it would be pretty DIFFICULT to be on the BOARD OF TRUSTEES if he didn't! ;) Not only does he have his degree from Mercer and sit on the B.O.T there, but "during Sam Mitchell’s 13-year NBA career he was held in high regard around the league as a student of the game" and considered a very intelligent player/coach by all of his peers!  character0112-1.gif

If you're asking this because of the rumor that a college degree is required to be an NCAA head basketball coach, here's your opportunity for fame.

Just post a link to a reputable site quoting this rule. Several have asked for such verification, but up until now none has been provided.

Not looking for fame or anything. I just asked a question. And I didn`t say anything about the NCAA. Auburn may have their own rule. I don`t know yet but will soon. Maybe you could find out yourself huh?

Just asking a question. He may have wanted to take some time off from all the stress. Lord knows at that level there is a lot on a man. A year off doing something else can really recharge a persons batteries. I know it would mine.

I`m not against Mitchell; he has a lot to offer. Don`t know if he is the best choice but he is certainly far from the worst for sure.

Not looking for fame or anything. I just asked a question. And I didn`t say anything about the NCAA. Auburn may have their own rule. I don`t know yet but will soon. Maybe you could find out yourself huh?

If I were one of those bringing this up I'd have a cite before I mentioned it. Looks to me like the burden of proof is on those stating that this is an issue.

If I were one of those bringing this up I'd have a cite before I mentioned it. Looks to me like the burden of proof is on those stating that this is an issue.

What with the burden of proof crap? This isn`t a court room or anything. I posted earlier I would know soon and I will post it when I do. Is that good enough; if not that`s too bad. Have a great evening and see ya later.

WDE

Fight! Fight! Fight! Ok. Everybody meet at the flagpole after school and we'll settle who is right!

What with the burden of proof crap? This isn`t a court room or anything. I posted earlier I would know soon and I will post it when I do. Is that good enough; if not that`s too bad. Have a great evening and see ya later.

WDE

I'll settle this squabble! OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE TO COACH COLLEGE BASKETBALL!!! You have to have a college degree to coach HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL!!! Do you honestly think that an institution of higher learning is going to hire someone who doesn't have a degree? NO!!!

LINKS: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/tips-on-becoming-a-college-basketball-coach/

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos251.htm

I don't care if it's required or not.  How do you tell your players that they need to stay in school and get their degree if you did not?

I have nothing against Mitchell other than he has never been a college coach.

:dunno:

I'll settle this squabble! OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE TO COACH COLLEGE BASKETBALL!!! You have to have a college degree to coach HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL!!! Do you honestly think that an institution of higher learning is going to hire someone who doesn't have a degree? NO!!!

LINKS: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/blog/index.php/tips-on-becoming-a-college-basketball-coach/

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos251.htm

According to the Birmingham News and NCAA compliance representatives your "tip sheet" is wrong. http://blog.al.com/ray-melick/2010/03/does_a_basketball_coach_really.html

And what was with the "burden of proof crap" was that posting unfounded rumors on the internet is lazy. If you're not willing to back it up with facts, don't put it out there. Turns out your rumor was wrong. There is no requirement to have a college degree. See the above link.

I posted this on another thread, but wanted to start a new topic. Sorry I know there is already one on page 2, and here's a link: http://www.wareagleauburn.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=11215.0  I just wanted to reiterate what has already been said and add to it!!! The search should be over, IMO!  :thumbsup:

Here's what I wrote:

Tony Barbee: Decent choice. He definitely would be fresh blood for a program on life support! I like the Calipari connection, but is he ready to go head to head with his former boss on the court and in recruiting?

Mike Davis: SportsTalk, please take this name off of the list! This is embarrassing!

Mike Anderson: I would be shocked if we could lure him away from Missouri. I don't think it would be impossible, but improbable definitely. If we could, he would be a nice fit.

Frank Haith: Not the right fit for Auburn... plus, I doubt he would leave Miami for Auburn anyway.

This leads me to my pick out of the names that have been bantered about (at least on here), which is Sam Mitchell. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to break something to you here... we are talking about a former NBA COACH OF THE YEAR!!! Did Rick Pitino ever achieve that? In his dreams maybe!

READ HIS BIO HERE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Mitchell_(basketball)

I remember Sam Mitchell as an up-and-coming young NBA coach with a VERY bright future. He took over an abismal Toronto squad, who had dwelled at the bottom of the NBA forever and had been through more coaches than the turds! Mitchell was the first guy to get anything out of that team, and not only that, but he took them all the way to FIRST PLACE in the Atlantic Division in 2007 and SECOND in '08! Sure they lost in the first round of the Playoffs both years, but was that reason for the team to FIRE him after just 17 games into the 2008-09 season? Heck they were just 8-9! I remember when this happened, and I was shocked that they fired him! And I wasn't the only one! There was an uproar in the media (including the TNT crew with our own Charles Barlkey, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson) over the decision to let one of the hottest young coaches go so soon. Since leaving Toronto, Sam has been working with the Atlanta Celtics, the AAU team there. He lives in Atlanta but is from Columbus, and as someone already pointed out, he has already expressed interest in the Auburn job!  :)

Given his experience in the NBA, his not only national, but also international connections, and his knowledge of the local area schools, I think Jay Jacobs should hire Sam Mitchell on the spot, if possible! If anyone can find me a more qualified/better candidate, please let me know!  :dunno:

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!! :we:

DJ Hatch,.....I'm the one who earlier posted about Sam Mitchell. Thanks for mentioning that at the beginning of

your thread. You know, I got chastized earlier, maybe seriously....maybe not...., for originally hearing about this

guy by a caller, who really seemed to logically know what he was talking about, on the infamous Paul Finebaum

show. I went on to explain, that in my somewhat desperate need for my daily sports "fix" that I had casuallly

turned on the radio and heard about this potential coaching candidate. I, for one thing, am not in any way a

skilled basketball analyst, but I too looked up his info on the same link you provided and was very, very impressed!

Hard to tell, at this time, if some of the followers of this individual are opposed to him because his name first

got noticed on the Finebaum show, or what. I do think he could very easily be one the best canditates for the

job, and might not and should not demand the type salary, initially, that some of the other "big names" being

bantered around. Lately, when big money has been mentioned for our next basketball coach, there's quite a

large number who are saying,....."we can't pay the basketball coach more than we are paying our football coach".

To that segment, I have to say that I agree. If you do, that opens up a whole new can of worms that we sure

don't need now! Leave our football program alone,...completely! They are just starting to hit on all cylinders and

the coaching staff will duely be rewarded when they make that next quantam leap a reality. Consequently I think

this is more the reason we need to take a closer look at Sam Mitchell. Something tells me he won't be quite so

demanding, dollar-wise, to begin with and likewise will get his due reward if and when he brings our basketball

program around.  :wareagle:  (To All!!!!!    Let peace prevail!!!)

If you think that Jay Jacobs would even consider hiring someone that did not have a degree - you are only kiddling yourselves.  Every time he is on the radio, etc. he always talks about "graduating our student athletes"... 

FWIW

Archived