Rumor says that AUs new coach is...

au03cobrafan

A little info on this guy anybody?

Here you go

Mack McCarthy is the former head college basketball coach for East Carolina University. On Saturday 3/6/10 athletic director Terry Holland announced that McCarthy will complete the season as head coach and then move to a fundraising role with East Carolina University. He served as Head Coach at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga(UTC) from 1985-1997, leading the Mocs to the 1997 "sweet sixteen" in the NCAA basketball tournament. His career record at UTC was 243-122.

McCarthy was also the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth University with a 4 year record of 66-55. In 19 seasons as a college basketball head coach McCarthy has a 67.6% winning percentage with a record of 352-238.

A little info on this guy anybody?

Here you go

Mack McCarthy is the former head college basketball coach for East Carolina University. On Saturday 3/6/10 athletic director Terry Holland announced that McCarthy will complete the season as head coach and then move to a fundraising role with East Carolina University. He served as Head Coach at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga(UTC) from 1985-1997, leading the Mocs to the 1997 "sweet sixteen" in the NCAA basketball tournament. His career record at UTC was 243-122.

McCarthy was also the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth University with a 4 year record of 66-55. In 19 seasons as a college basketball head coach McCarthy has a 67.6% winning percentage with a record of 352-238.

You left a little out. He was an assistant at Auburn for 7 years under Sonny Smith. He was the recruiter that convinced Barkley to come to Auburn. UTC never had a losing record while Mack was coach there. He would definitely be a darkhorse but he has been an excellent coach and recruiter that is well respected in many circles. Not tooting his horn; just always thought a lot of him in the past.

Not knocking Mack, but he has never been the HC in a power conference and is clearly in the twilight of his coaching career. I wouldn't imagine he would really be a serious candidate for this job. I believe ECU when they say he is moving to a "fundraising" capacity- older, retiring coaches often do this. For those clamoring for a young, energetic, "up and comer" like Barbee, Mack would be the diametric opposite. Just doesn't make any sense. :dunno:

This search is all over the road........... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The search is probably right on track. The RUMORS are all over the road, as was to be expected.

This search is all over the road........... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The search is probably right on track. The RUMORS are all over the road, as was to be expected.

Too true.

:thumbsup:

There's so many names out there right now that I can't keep up with all of them. It seems like everyday atleast 1 or 2 more guys come into the picture.  :dunno:

I dont think we get Tubby but he's been number one on my logical wish list since the start of this sub-par season

cause I just knew we coudnt open the New Arena with a Loser.....  Yeah I KNOW HARSH but his record speaks for itself after that many seasons !!!!!!!!

WDE

Don't know if I read it or not, but not much has been said of Tubby since last week. I wonder, and this is purely speculation , if the wheels  have been in motion. Let me know if TS did, in fact, turn us down.

:believe: :believe: :believe: :believe:

The thing is Gene Chizik wasn't even mentioned until he was the AU coach.  JJ kept that one on the DL.  We were distracted by Dooley, Muschamp, and Charles Barkley.

Same thing here--DISTRACTION.

Archived