jj, what the h...?!?!?!??!

Auhsv

jay jacobs!  What are you doing???!?!????!!  Morehead State?????  First, Same Houston State, North Texas State and now MOREHEAD STATE????  I think you've answered the question of whether or not YOU are taking basketball seriously and the answer is a big NO!  I understand we can't get a great coach to come to AU, but MOREHEAD STATE?????  Seriously???

Relax. Don't swallow all the smoke and mirrors stuff, just wait a while (maybe until the final four is over) and see who the coach is.

If it takes him until after the Final Four it will confirm what many think... AU is a terrible job to have and we cant' find anybody.  Plus, don't think for a minute we have a chance to land a coach in the Final Four.  Make the offer to Barbee and make him say no before we move on.  We should have done that with Tubby.

If it takes him until after the Final Four it will confirm what many think... AU is a terrible job to have and we cant' find anybody.  Plus, don't think for a minute we have a chance to land a coach in the Final Four.  Make the offer to Barbee and make him say no before we move on.  We should have done that with Tubby.

hang in there  buddy... give it a little time to unfold. As I have said before, this thing could be far from over... let JJ do his job. If he interviews 100 coaches, thats fine by me as long as its the right guy

I'm uncomfortable myself now. With the rumor that Barbee is Depaul's number 1 and us just interviewing anybody that will sit and talk to us, it doesn't look good. I hear what you guys are saying about smoke and mirrors. A couple are ok, but we've gotten wayyyy of track now in this coaching search. I'm still not sold on JJ. That's what scares me even more. And don't bash me with the GC hire. I like Gene, but Gene still has work to do.

It's not that I think we're necessarily going after a coach in the Final Four. Almost every college coach in America will be there and a lot of business gets conducted at that time.

We may even reach an agreement with our next coach and not announce it until then.

As for Tubby Smith, do you know that we didn't make him say no? Do any of us know that he's not going to be The Guy? I don't think so!

If Tubby Smith is the next coach, I'll walk to Auburn the next time I go.  Given the way jj HAS to do these searches, we are pretty certain that Tubby was NOT contacted much less an offer made.  EVERYBODY knows EVERYTHING about these coaching searches.

If Tubby Smith is the next coach, I'll walk to Auburn the next time I go.  Given the way jj HAS to do these searches, we are pretty certain that Tubby was NOT contacted much less an offer made.  EVERYBODY knows EVERYTHING about these coaching searches.

Everybody knows about, uh, nothing. All you read is rumor and speculation. Calm down before you give yourself a stroke, we want our good Auburn folk to be in the best of health...

We know nothing?  Because of the "front door" policy, everybody knows who we talk to and when we talk to them.  don't kid yourself.  This policy may be an ethical way of doing somethings but not search for coaches in at a major D-1 program.

AUSHV --

Re-read your post. Really? I understand the frustration. Jay may look like "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" here, but I endorse that wholeheartedly. (I say that having been aghast when Richardson hired Jacobs over Greg McGarity, Dan Radakovich, and Scott Etheridge.) Besides the "front-door" being the obvious right thing to do, Auburn was particularly embarrassed by a certain plane trip to Louisville in 2003. The University of Alabama should have been embarrassed -- even having made an outstanding hire -- when Nick Saban just bald-faced lied and lied about leaving Miami. Tommy Tuberville, the victim of Jetgate, still hasn't completely escaped that stupid "pine box" comment he made in Oxford.

Why is it a bad thing for Jay Jacobs to attempt to do his job without those bad -- and UNNCECESSARY -- circumstances, when he or a can engage with intermediaries and agents about initial interest without us knowing, then invoke his "front-door" request before speaking directly to a candidate? Why is it a bad thing for a candidate to be up front with his employer and current fan base? Let's use Saban again, this time as a GOOD example: He interviewed with and accepted the Miami Dolphins job in the open, then stayed around in Baton Rouge to coach the Tiguhs in the Capital One Bowl. LSU fans were fine with his decision; they only hated him AFTER he landed in Tuscaloser. They knew in 2004 that their successful coach was being honest about pursuing an NFL job. Urban Meyer did the same thing at Utah that season. Everyone in the country knew he interviewed at Notre Dame and Gainesville, and that he wasn't leaving for either place until after Utah played the Fiesta Bowl. Everything seemed to work out there. (Unless you are an Irishman. :) )

So, again, what about this process is so bad? 

We need to just wait and see who our coach is going to be. No need to get worked up about it. If Jacobs is waiting on an answer from someone like Smith or Barbee why not talk to other candidates. He could just be building a network for future consideration for some of these coaches. If Tubby Smith were to accept he is not going to coach forever. He would likely be coaching 5 more years tops. If Barbee is as hot a name as he appears to be be may accept but head of to a bigger basketball school in a few years. I wish as much as anyone that Auburn could do what Florida has done in football and basketball but that is a unique situation. Jacobs needs to build as many bridges as possible for Auburn basketball because you never know when he may need take advantage of those connections. WDE!

I dont mind Jacobs taking his time, but talking to North Texas, Sam Houston State, and Morehead State is a major waste of time. The search isnt over so I will hold off on my assesment of how well Jacobs did, but he is not helping himself by interviewing more Lebos.

NOLA, with all due respect you miss the point.  We all knew deep down that getting Tubby Smith was not going to happen but we got all caught up in the moment.  A great coach in a good situation is NOT going to allow a school to pursue him throgh the "front door."  He is NOT going to want his current school to know until after the deal is done.  This way may be a feel good way to conduct a search as we can say we dont' go through back channels, etc.  and I commend that, however, we will never get that GREAT coach that AU deserves doing it that way. 

We all know we realistically looking at a current mid-major coach.  That' the route a school like AU has to take at this point, but seriously... NTSU, SHSU, and Morehead?  I think we can and MUST aim higher than that... Auburn deserves better.

Yes.  These should be deleted.  Take a seat and enjoy the ride.  Jay Jacobs means well and you should never call for an Auburn mans head.  That's a turdish thing to do, IMO.

Yes.  These should be deleted.  Take a seat and enjoy the ride.  Jay Jacobs means well and you should never call for an Auburn mans head.  That's a turdish thing to do, IMO.

Why delete them?

Since we have a new coach, 99% of those who were posting here will leave the BB forum and forget that we have a team.  It will be on to Spring FB and such.

At least let us BB fans have the illusion that so many AU fans cared about the team

;D

GREAT POST  :thumbsup:

Seems Lebo meant well for 6 years.

I think JJ's choices will take 3-4 years to be fairly evaluated.

:dunno:

Archived